Dr. Jack | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Out with the old, new going in.

IMG_3546_zpsfe5a2fa2.jpg

Got the new compressor installed, now the the fun electrical and other items. I replaced all of the compressor assy's for the lockers, those dang solenoids surprised me with their cost.

IMG_3548_zps7448c25a.jpg

Hurry up and throw some dirt on that compressor. Looks out of place like that. :p:

X2 on that. The air lines are hooked up now (instead of reruning the air lines from the axles I just used splicers) and the coolant overflow/washer fluid canister is back in place. Had to bring the door panel in and redo the mount holes for them, the new rocker switches are a tad larger than the old ones, the air compressor switch had to be mounted on the panel in a different location instead of in a line with the locker engagement switches. Dark now, so will finish up in the morning. The time to get some dirt on that nice clean compressor is drawing near. :D

What it looks like finished, could not mount it parrell to the fender well like the old one, just a little too long for that, so had to go for sideways, but it is firmly in place.

IMG_3550_zps9aface79.jpg

The only way I could figure how to install the air compressor switch.

IMG_3549_zps53959535.jpg

The shock pin eliminators that Brian1 made, finally going in.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390142

Old next to new.

IMG_3747_zps269748fd.jpg

IMG_3748_zps098fc00a.jpg

I am gonna replace the front shocks on the Jack also, looking for ideas on which shock to get, want to go with heavy duty, so I know price is going to be up there a little. Any input from EFer's is welcomed.

Since you trailer it everywhere, I would choose a shock that has more dampening.

Adjustable shocks are also an alternative. You just turn a dial to softer or stiffer ride depending on what the majority of the terrain is for that day.

Lots too choose from these days. I would just research a bunch before spending anything.

Got to do a little work on the rig today,

New shocks, brakes, calipers, and hubs.

IMG_3776_zps73637c4f.jpg

IMG_3777_zpsd95fbd79.jpg

I'm sure my Bro will post about my "stupid is as stupid does" moment. :D

I'm sure my Bro will post about my "stupid is as stupid does" moment. :D[/QUOTE]

Oh yea he was haveing trouble getting the left brake line to go back on , well it may have been because he was putting the right caliber on left side:eek:

Quary2014008.jpg

Quary2014011.jpg

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. :D

LOL, and I thought I was the only one. :shifty_ey

Robert caught it, but I can't post my response since it would get me banned. Said a few nasty words. :wtf:

Thanks Russell!!!!! We did a few more things over the weekend, then I noticed my front diff oil is contaminated, so got that to do before we head out. Minor correction, at least it was noticed before we hit the trails and before it turned into something major.

Pretty sure this was on Engineer trail.

IMG_3837_zpsf78f216f.jpg

The only trail damage: shock mount broke going to Cinnamon, upper mount said it had enough, so just took off the shock and thru it in the rig, then finished the trail.

IMG_3854_zpsdbf99e37.jpg

She's copping a hammering mate....Just the way it should be ay!

Loving the photo's on the Ouray thread:D:thumbsup:

She's copping a hammering mate....Just the way it should be ay!

Loving the photo's on the Ouray thread:D:thumbsup:

Thanks Greg, !!!!.

The Ouray run was just fantastic, even with the "ah crap" moments going, trailing, and headed back! :chug:

Back