DUDER 1's 94xlt SAS | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DUDER 1's 94xlt SAS

Very nice build sir. How is it holding up so far? Like how you did the brake lines.

Thank you the brake lines came out nice. BKennedy helped me out with ideas on the brake lines. The truck is holding up good. The power steering puked out all of its fluid the first run so it's time to upgrade. I was given a Saginaw style pump so that's what I'm going to put in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question-

How close are your radius arm mounts to the trans crossmember? Is your front axle pushed forward any or is it mostly in the stock location?

Im seriously considering ditching my home-made arms and getting those to get my turning radius back... but my front is 3" forward and i want to keep it that way.

Question-

How close are your radius arm mounts to the trans crossmember? Is your front axle pushed forward any or is it mostly in the stock location?

Im seriously considering ditching my home-made arms and getting those to get my turning radius back... but my front is 3" forward and i want to keep it that way.
Good morning sir,

I am not sure if my axle is pushed forward or not because the work was done prior to us getting the explorer. It looks like the axle may be pushed forward a bit. The attached picture shows the trans crossmember and my radius arm mount. You can see that there is still room to move forward a bit. I will get better photos when I get a chance. Thanks for looking.

68CB33F8-66AD-4C22-9E4D-611448A91032_zpsyf7hoxkc.jpg

That flexes nice. Did you notice how much more stable it is on off-camber stuff?

Thank you the brake lines came out nice. BKennedy helped me out with ideas on the brake lines. The truck is holding up good. The power steering puked out all of its fluid the first run so it's time to upgrade. I was given a Saginaw style pump so that's what I'm going to put in it.

I noticed my power steering pump really labored because I had the steering stops set wrong. They need to be set the same as the limits of the box, or as near as you can get them. If they are set to stop the steering before the limits of the box, and the stops make contact, the suspension on these long travel axles will flex and put a ton of strain on the power steering. With the Explorer parked on flat ground and the engine running, turn the wheel all the way to one side. If it hits the stops, and the hood starts dipping on the side of the outward turned wheel, your stops are too long. I think that's why my pump blew shortly after I finished my SAS.

Question-

I have the same arms and my axle is forward 1.5", but I have a different transmission/transfer case and cross member. I measured and added another 1.5". If the radius arms were 3" forward, the front edge of the Duff RA bracket would be 16" back from the center of the first body mount bolt on the driver side. I think that would still clear the stock cross member going by the old rivet holes. 3" is a lot; my 35" tires clear the firewall, but contact the front and inside of the metal inner fenders. I also had to trim the front fender well edge to clear the tires at full stuff.

BKennedy,

I think with the rear leaf mod and the bilstein shocks up front made it more stable. I only had the chance to wheel it that one day so I would have to test it more but the truck feels a lot better than it did when I bought it. The truck also had 2° radius arm bushings installed when I bought it. I replaced them with 4° bushings and that seemed to help the truck track better on the street. I really appreciate all your help and time that you take to answer my questions.

We made A family trip to Crown King to get lunch, ice cream, and fudge. I needed to knock the dust off this old girl. We have only put about 100 miles on her in the last two years lol.

IMG_4457.JPG

The ex was dropped off at Vigilante Motor Sports to get a front bumper built and the winch installed. I bought a smittybilt 12k X20 with the synthetic rope. will also be putting on sliders. I am having them cut the rockers out right below the door due to some rust in the rocker. I gave them an idea of what I wanted and they said the will build something cool for me. Here are some before pictures. I will post after pictures when I get a chance.
IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

Here is the latest on the front bumper. I was not sure on what I wanted so the shop surprised me. I think it looks pretty good. They pulled the winch before I could get pictures but you get the idea. They still have to install a couple attachment points and paint it. They are also doing sliders for me.

34E90DC6-23E2-49F7-809E-88E612B14A30.jpeg
742782A2-77AA-44F6-8426-5BA998E52699.jpeg
BF4B38FE-CBBB-4D5F-B624-B774A1785DCA.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So for some updates, after over seven months of training and moving to Alaska I can finally work on the Exploder again. I found a small leak on the driver side rear window I sealed with some skylight sealant. My 78/79 Dana 60 housing showed up a little while back. I am not sure what I am going to do up front yet. I want going coil overs and radius arms or links. I found a 14 bolt at the local scrap yard so I will probably pick that up next week. I will start collecting parts for the tons and post as I go. I will go 5.38’s and Detroit lockers for sure. The last picture is from my local docks we took a stroll down this evening. Have a good evening all.

9EF4F58B-2C95-408B-B548-9FD2035F775D.jpeg

06E119CB-7313-45A6-9928-E9FB10920433.jpeg

886805B2-A366-42EC-AEC0-D69BCCE5C3EC.jpeg

Back