East Coast Trashed Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

East Coast Trashed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish jasonb would chime in on this one. He has done Tellico and URE. He said URE was not that big of a challenge for him. He said that he did basically all of it in 2low. As far as Tellico is concerned, several of us are veterans up there. About 3 or 4 of us could be trail leaders, especially if we had a good bit of stockers come, maybe we could split up into 2 or 3 groups and run the trails in smaller groups. Plus, we vets will have spare parts, cvs, hubs, and such. I plan on having a winch by then, and maybe bigger tires.

I did Tellico several times in my truck when it had open diffs. I had people asking me why I had a Ranger out there. Also, one more thing. The J@@p folks have stock runs up there about 2 times a year, and the place is crawling with J@@ps with small tires and no lifts. They stack rocks until they can make it, I don't see why we couldn't do it for the the stock guys.

Crawford's is an awesome place to stay. I've never stayed there, but I have been there and it has everything you need for a trip. Plus they have a fully equipped shop you can rent by the hour if you need to fix something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not go to Attica. I am really not interested in anything more than about 200-miles from Richmond.

Where is Tellico? What is Tellico? Some more discussion please. Some more disscussion of Urrarie would be helpful as well.

My feelings would not be hurt if we skip Crozet, because I am going to go there if I have to go by myself just to check it out.

I have been in the GWNF fairly often. A little information, it is public federal land generally on the border of West Virginia and Virginia, in the Appilachian mountians. The trails were mostly constructed during the depression by the civilian corp as a work projects. Almost all of the trails are passible by stock 4x4. The trails are two track gravel and rock roadways that typically go around and over the mountians. Some sections are steep and bumpy. There is almost no mud. Camping is rough but plentiful. There is not a lot of traffic. The scenery is special for people who appreciate mountian landscapes. Resources are plentiful and generally within an hour of the trailheads. The best trails I have run are around Harrisonburg, which is less than 1-hour ride from Crozet. There is a tremedious amount of information available if you link through the off camber crawlers.

Tellico!! What do the other places offer for all them members, SXC (I'm not a member) can join if we go to Tellico. I know Tellico has http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html (Dragon's Tail) for all of the pavement pounders, Tellico has trails for stockers too! Take Trail 6 to 8, Pause at the top of 8 to walk down to 9 to watch the rest of the club climb “SLICK ROCK” the continue on Trail 8 all the way around to Trail 4 at “Fains Ford” and then out Trail 5. Great ride for the stockers. And the Big guys in the club can play anywhere.

Tellico offers campgrounds in three locations, Tellico, Tenn. Side has campgrounds for BIG RV’s with trailers, places for camp for tent guys, places far into no-where (off trail 8) and then there is Crawford’s Camp. On the Tenn. Campgrounds the pavement pounders can camp with us. Making it I think as the best place.

I have heard a lot from windrock and it was being made public right as I was temp. leaving the sport. My wife rolled my jeep in Topeka, Kansas on our way to Utah for the rock crawling championships, then I rolled my replacement jeep here in Dallas, Ga. SO I retired for a little while. But I have a 94 limited that I am about to begin building the winter. That’s, my 2 cents.

PS. If we decide on Tellico, I will help with the planning. Joe.

Note: in case anyone is keeping a close look at the votes in the poll thread and noticed something odd, Josh asked me to change his vote from Windrock to Tellico, so that got Windrock's votes back down to one again.

caveman1 [posted in the poll thread], we'll be happy to have you along. If Uwharrie is chosen, nissanboy may be able to tell you if you can do al lot of it in 2wd. If Tellico is chosen, sorry there is no way you could do any of it in 2wd.... you'd basically be strapped the whole day, maybe capable of going 20-40 yards or so at most at a time before needing help again. You would basically be asking someone to drag you all day long and if you're not lifted there won't be much left of your undercarriage after it was over, lol (a stock 4wd can help guide itself through the obstacles, but getting dragged through you won't have nearly as much control). It is gorgeous there though and many of us will have an empty copilot seat for you, plus the comraderie at Crawford's Camp after the runs is great. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm and we want you to attend no matter where it is held, but someone needed to let you know what Tellico was like, and I'm usually the one not afraid to let people know, sorry.

Let's bring dates back up.... I don't think ANY of us want a true summer run. Instead of mid July, how about mid April, 15-16th? That way we'd have the first 10th Anniversary Run :D Another choice would be a fall colors run, but that's a long way off to wait.....

Joe, thanks for posting! Did you vote?

caveman1, check out that Tail of the Dragon link, awesome! Now you've got a reason to come if we hit Tellico, and since most of our lifted/no antiswaybar Explorers would totally suck on that road, there will be plenty of volunteers to swap copiloting with you on and off the trail :thumbsup:

This is beginning to shape up into a choice between Uwharrie and Tellico. I'm sure we'll have a great time no matter where we go.

Okay guys, start talking dates here. If we have it during the schoolyear instead of mid-summer, will that knock anyone out of the run that would surely make it if is was planned in summer? Unfortunately we cannot schedule something that works for everyone - that's impossible - but I want to know how much effect a non-summer run would have, if any.

GJarrett said:
If Tellico is chosen, sorry there is no way you could do any of it in 2wd.... you'd basically be strapped the whole day, maybe capable of going 20-40 yards or so at most at a time before needing help again. You would basically be asking someone to drag you all day long and if you're not lifted there won't be much left of your undercarriage after it was over, lol (a stock 4wd can help guide itself through the obstacles, but getting dragged through you won't have nearly as much control).

I disagree again. The trails I listed Including "fains ford" (going down it) can be done in 2wd. He might be tugged once or twice. But on those trails i think it can be done. I did it in 2wd. Why cant he? I did it in a 2wd jeep tj with 31's. And had a 89 YJ with stock 28s in 4wd do it with me. HA...HA... I said, "do it."

I think tellico offers a temperature in the middle of summer a cool 85 degrees (not in town) when every place else is 90+. Tellico is located in the valley of 5 mountains with trails that extend up 4 of these. The trail system lies completly Shaded from the sun with many creeks. Offering night in the upper 50's and daytime temps from 70s-80's in august.

My vote would be for early July so we can get in on some cooler temps, but will let the college guys attend. It wont please everyone, but it should get most.

Or at least it was this way this past july when I was there for a Toyota LC run.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier on that if we do have a summer run, Tellico would be the best choice, and that's precisely why. nissanboy posted that Uwharrie would be miserable that time of year.... I guess we need to figure out where we are going before figuring out when to get there. Is there a Tellico events calendar available yet for next year? If we go to Tellico I don't want to spend all day facing 30 stock Jeeper Jamboree-ers above Fain's Ford, lol. We'll need to schedule around other events. The Dixie Run won't be until later in the year, but there's a big Bronco run and lot's of other stuff planned there each year. I'll bet we could call Steve Crawford and ask him when his campground is filled; that would tell us what weekends were already scheduled with something else.

I don't understand how you think 2wd could do it. Yes one could probably do down 4 and be capable of taking the 8 loop, but to do that, it would have to go up 6 and a non-lifted 2wd ain't gonna have a prayer of doing that - and if it is damp or wet at all, it would take all day long to pull a towed vehicle up a slick 6. I could be wrong I suppose. A 2wd could also do 3, but would have to traverse a harder trail to get to 3, so that goes back to square one again. How tame is 5 now? It was pretty graded out the last time I was there and was a shadow of its former self..... the only 2wd strategy I see would be going up 5 and down 4, is that what you were thinking?

North east coast guys

OK what will it cost. Guys, you can make this ride too. If you guys want to know it takes only 2 to 3 tanks (leadfoot) to make it there. I just recently drove from ATL to DC and back for under $200.00 in my explorer. You have all year to save the extra $200. for this ride. As far as the trip time, roughly takes 4-6 hours to drive through Virginia. 2-4 in Tenn. I came down I-81 to I-26 to I-85 to atlanta. A different route than you will take, but my total trip for me was 9 hours. :D :D

unclemeat, Tellico is near Murphy NC, try Mapquest to show you where that is.

We still have to consider that some of these locations may be too far for the Northeast crowd. We may be forced to do two runs Maybe one NE and one SE.

North east coast guys

Blee1099 said:
We still have to consider that some of these locations may be too far for the Northeast crowd. We may be forced to do two runs Maybe one NE and one SE.

I drove from Atlanta to DC in 9 hours. It took 3 tank fulls. With these 3.09 gas prices, each tank cost roughly 60.00. That is $120.00 one way. So lets say it takes you all 12-14 hours. You can leave thursday, then Friday and Sat ride. Then leave early on Sun. Spend approx $250 in gas and possibly another $80, to uhaul for a car hauler for anouther member to tote your broken rig home.

gerald, IF we go to tellico (i would still rather go to URE) but IF we end up at Tellico, i am going to trust your judgement on where i can go/what i can do. If i can find a cheap set of 33s i will be on them whit a 2in BL and will be more willing to take on things, but if i cant find a cheap set, then ill be on 31s open diffs. I hope you iunderstand my concern as my truck must get me back home when im off the trails, and i would prefer not to have smashed up rockers.... I am just concerned about tellico as i have heard many stories about it. I would just hope that i wouldnt get there and be pulled around by a strap all day. As long as someone would be willing to spot me over most/all of the obstacles im gonna trust your judgement.

slravene said:
gerald, IF we go to tellico (i would still rather go to URE) but IF we end up at Tellico, i am going to trust your judgement on where i can go/what i can do. If i can find a cheap set of 33s i will be on them whit a 2in BL and will be more willing to take on things, but if i cant find a cheap set, then ill be on 31s open diffs. I hope you iunderstand my concern as my truck must get me back home when im off the trails, and i would prefer not to have smashed up rockers.... I am just concerned about tellico as i have heard many stories about it. I would just hope that i wouldnt get there and be pulled around by a strap all day. As long as someone would be willing to spot me over most/all of the obstacles im gonna trust your judgement.

Most of trails are fender shredding, tire gashing and roof landing trails. Dont even get me started about breakage. But it also has many easy trails too. If we end up there, if you stick with me I can basically gauruntee you will be driving home w/out damage. The neat thing about tellico is that trails will tell you what will happen. what i mean is that, if the ground is wet it will be slick, if there is a rock, it wont move. As difficult as the terrain is, it is very "tell tail" of what to expect. I am sure everyone reading this will agree, sometimes you can look at something, and say, "Oh that's not that bad I can do that," and then boom out of no-where your head lights dissappear under mudd, or a rock from no-where gives you custom kick panels. This wont happen at tellico, if you look at something and it tells you your gonna flip, guess what. Or it says your tire will slip hear, it will. Also most of the rocks are covered with black marks from others, so picking the best line has been done for you.

If you have 33's, you will be able to keep up with me, I am probably be on 31's or 32's.

well i will only be on 33s if i can find a cheap set (im on a college budget and i just spent alot on my 31s but i really want to go 2 in BL and 33s...)

Help Needed!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142623

At this moment the poll is very close to a three way tie and we may have to have another poll after this one closes.... if it stays this even, we may have to poll to find out which trails each of us can NOT go to, and find out where the most of us can meet. We may have to compromise like the west coast guys did, and meet where the most can get to.

Lee, I think Joe and I will have to agree to disagree on 2wd at Tellico; I know I'd not want to be stuck babysitting a 2wd all day long and am not sure if it is even possible.... but a stock 4wd like you have, you can do it.

I dont think anyone has been to URE since the trail maintence policy has changed.

Grooming use to happen every off season to prevent errosion, The new policy is to let it get rough enoug to deter more people from riding there. There are some trails i have been denied on with 35's locked front and rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the thing with URE is that you can try most obstacles and not have a fear of damage since ther isnt much to hit...you just try and try and try. where as at tellico i assume you try an obstacle and mess up...you are screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back