Wanted - found a shop to make longer uppers with uniball for $550 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted found a shop to make longer uppers with uniball for $550

Parts or services wanted

Wills05xlt4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ashland Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Xlt 4x4
Shop I emailed seemed very interested in making our uppers thy said they will make them but will need five ordered and THEY WILL MAKE THEM FOR US!!!!!!!!

550 is how much he quoted me with a uniball and yes it will be longer.....

Who wants them..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That price is comparable with what BTF charge for their chevy upper's. F*** it, I'll go in as a fifth if you cant get 5 order's. I'll need someone to help with shipping tho' and some notice on when we have to pay. If you can get 5 without me I'll bow out and wait until I've got abit more spare coin floating around. I'm in if you need me. Great job, by the way, for doing all the leg work

Are they the same ones they sell in the Camburg Ranger Edge long travel kit?
Or is this a brand new product for them?

Just the arms/uniball or does the bushings/hardware come with it?

Good point mate. The F150 upper ca kit on their site comes in at $670 with bushing's and hardware.

Uppers and hardware it would be similar but still a completely custom made piece thus the minimum order of five

Tell me what the price is with all the hardware so I can save up a few paychecks and then you can count me in.

I'm sort of confused, does this lower your joint to fit taller lift spacers??
Posted via Mobile Device

When you install a strut spacer, the balljoint starts to get pulled sideways because the upper control arm isn't long enough anymore. The new arms would be longer to take the stress off the joint and also make it easier to get front alignment back into specs. They could also use a uniball instead of a balljoint...a uniball has more range of motion than the OEM type balljoints and is stronger.

So does that mean that it would be safer to run lift and we would get more flex?

Dunno about safer. You lose flex with the strut spacers in the sense that at some point most people's spindles hit the front coils as the suspension travels down. This would keep that from happening so you get that part of your flex back. I don't think it gives you "extra" flex though...the OEM shocks still reach their max length at some point, as they are designed to do. The uniball isn't limited so much in its range of motion compared to the OEM type balljoint though, so it wouldn't bind and be stressed at max droop with bigger spacers.

Ultimately you're still limited in how much you can lift the rear suspension by the way the axle shafts go through the holes in the frame.

So I will keep pestering you with questions. If you did this with uniballs and longer uppers and upgraded our shocks. Would that lift it in its self? Would we still need to spacer it? Would we get increased flex with or without a lift? I think those are all of the questions thanks.

So I will keep pestering you with questions. If you did this with uniballs and longer uppers and upgraded our shocks. Would that lift it in its self? Would we still need to spacer it? Would we get increased flex with or without a lift? I think those are all of the questions thanks.

Upgrading the shocks would not do anything as far as lifting it. You can lift the suspension in one of 3 ways, or maybe a mild combination of these 3:

-By making the entire strut assembly longer, i.e., a BTF spacer. The longer strut assembly pushes the control arms downward further than stock, giving you lift.

-By putting in a taller coil spring on an OEM length strut. It gives you lift, because the spring compresses a bit with the truck's weight on it, but still has more uncompressed length than a stock spring, so that pushes the control arms downward further than stock, giving you lift. Some people on here have tried this but the coils do settle over time, so you lose some of that lift.

-By putting a spacer between the stock coil spring and one of the coil spring seats on an OEM length strut. This keeps the stock coil spring from compressing as much when the weight of the vehicle is on it, so the result is the control arms are angled downward further than stock, giving you lift. The Rancho Quicklift strut assemblies work on this concept...it has a coil spacer built in so you get a fixed amount of lift and a tunable shock (for adjusting ride quality) all in one. You could probably find just the coil spacers by themselves instead of buying the Rancho Quick Lifts. Energy suspension makes some inexpensive universal ones that might work.

If you put in longer uppers and uniballs without changing anything else, the longer upper would throw off the alignment. If you put in a longer shock without changing the spring length, all you've got is a shock that can extend further than the spring can...doesn't do anything for lift.

To get more flex you need a longer spring AND a longer shock, (a long travel setup). This would also need new upper arms with uniballs to let you take advantage of the increased flex, and maybe some mods to the lower arm to make sure that lower balljoint stays happy. You would also need to extend the tie rods, extend or get rid of the swaybar links, and find some way to keep the CV joints from overextending...probably by lowering the differential. That's just for the front. The rear would still have the problem of the axle shafts hitting the frame.

It will be a uniball for sure....
If you got the rancho quick struts yes but ultimately you still need something to lift it these uppers make it so that AFTER YOU lift it it can still be aligned(otherwise its "not aliginable") it also like stated is much safer than lifting without if you read some other threads you will read where quite a few people have snapped ball joints (some on the interstate) which could easily be deadly.
I have a wife and son that will be riding in my x and I will not jeopardize their safety.
These are to me at least a safety requirement if I'm lifting my x the slight benefits off road capabilities don't even really weigh in on my need for them.
Any more questions?
Sorry for grammar on the mobile

Would the new ams and joints allow for spacers taller then 2.25" ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Would the new ams and joints allow for spacer taller then 2.25" ?m
Posted via Mobile Device

On the front perhaps if you do like ronin said... but the rear is still going to rub your axle on the frame and eventually snap them... if you want max lift I wouldn't go over 2.5/2 WITH the new upper control arms then there's body lift and taller tires but with the irs your still limited without a black hole of cash

Yeah. I totaly forgot about the rear axle. An I already got 2.25 x 1.75 an I doubt a quarter inch would even be notacable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Modifying the frame seem's to be pretty simple. Remove the axle and increase the size of the hole then weld up the gap and add external bracing on the bottom of the frame? Would that work?

Back