Wanted - found a shop to make longer uppers with uniball for $550 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted found a shop to make longer uppers with uniball for $550

Parts or services wanted
Lynchy - that's a great idea! Can we get some other oppioins on this idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. I totaly forgot about the rear axle. An I already got 2.25 x 1.75 an I doubt a quarter inch would even be notacable.
Posted via Mobile Device
your right a quarter inch would not be noticeable the uppers just get rid of that terrible ball joint angle and it wouldnt hit the coil springs

Modifying the frame seem's to be pretty simple. Remove the axle and increase the size of the hole then weld up the gap and add external bracing on the bottom of the frame? Would that work?

I'm no master welder but if I was doing it I'd just do solid axles or cut the whole section c section out below the axle and buy a or fab a c noch like used in bagged trucks to lay frame and weld it in on either side.... don't know if that'll pass a state inspection though.
You would most likely have to lower the differential to keep the driveshaft angle within a safe range

I'm no master welder but if I was doing it I'd just do solid axles or cut the whole section c section out below the axle and buy a or fab a c noch like used in bagged trucks to lay frame and weld it in on either side.... don't know if that'll pass a state inspection though.
You would most likely have to lower the differential to keep the driveshaft angle within a safe range

That's a good point too.

Hey here's a question for you, my front spacers are 1.75" not 2.25"...that's going to make a difference in the length of the new arms right? I just wonder if I could use the arms for the 2.25" lift or if that's going to give me problems.

Trimming the size of the hole would only work to a height that your cv's limited you to I s'pose. As long as your welding diagonally on a frame, inspection should(?) be ok.

After having a look at how much metal there is to work with Will's idea is heap's better.

so who's gonna try it ...????

That's a good point too.

Hey here's a question for you, my front spacers are 1.75" not 2.25"...that's going to make a difference in the length of the new arms right? I just wonder if I could use the arms for the 2.25" lift or if that's going to give me problems.

I have 2.25" on my front, and i have no problem. I put new oem balljoints on the upper and lower, its been about 2000 miles and some wheelin. I've had no issues.
some people think diferently, but my uncle helped me do the lift and he is a ford mechanic, he said I should be alright.

I'm not worried about the 2.25" either, I am saying that the new arms made for a 2.25" spacer might be too long for a 1.75" spacer. I know it's only .5" difference but I think it could matter a lot.

I guess the easy fix if I wanted to run the new arms would be to get some 2.25" front spacers lol.

Lol. That's a good point aswell. Idk what the arm length is designed for... Spacer wise. But there is never a bad excuse to buy taller spacers haha
Posted via Mobile Device

How about the old 3"er's like what roadbully made. If a custom fab is required anyway, shouldn't it be pushed to the safest limit? Then adjust the length back to suit lower lift's.

True that! I'd def take a set of 3"s
Posted via Mobile Device

Hasn't been totally decided its custom-built man whatever we want

Man there's so much about steering geometry, transference of stress and alignment issues that I have no f*****' idea about.

I s'pose it's baby step's. Try to get a monkey into space before setting up a human colony on mars.

Yeah there's a lot to steering and should not be messed with by the inexperienced this shop seems very legitimate has great credentials... I wouldn't trust anybody with my familys safety to anyone I feel confident. I haven't lifted yet nor will I without uppers.. too many people have had issues

I think this is great the interest we are getting. About time some 3rd gen offroad stuff comes around, even if it is custom fab.

Modifying the frame seem's to be pretty simple. Remove the axle and increase the size of the hole then weld up the gap and add external bracing on the bottom of the frame? Would that work?

Sorry to add this so late. Who's up for a Solid axle with leaf springs on the rear.

Horay for solid axles! ! !
Posted via Mobile Device

Throw an first gen expedition axle on. Probably would be of similar width to the explorer

If I saw it done on here, I would deff consider it too. IRS is kinda lame
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I ever get enough money while I have this explorer I'm probably going to change out my rear axle to a solid. I know a shop that would probably do the swap.

Back