Fuel related issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mberry0614

Reaction score
City, State
Festus, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer EB 4.0 SOHC
99 Eddie Bauer with 4.0 SOHC - 220xxx miles. For about a week now, it acts like its not getting fuel. It will start & run in the morning, but as soon as it gets hot, it dies. And won't start up again until it cools off. It also likes to die at idle, and sputter and backfire. When it does run, it bogs down before it accelerates. I've changed TPS & MAF sensor. I also cleaned fuel filter and checked relay. Thermostat housing is also new, so it has new ECT sensor. I released pressure at the Schrader Valve, but it doesn't spray, it just kind of oozes out. I'm out of ideas. IAC motor? Fuel pump? And if it is the fuel pump, should I drop the tank, or cut a hole in the floorboard for access panel? Thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99 Eddie Bauer with 4.0 SOHC - 220xxx miles. For about a week now, it acts like its not getting fuel. It will start & run in the morning, but as soon as it gets hot, it dies. And won't start up again until it cools off. It also likes to die at idle, and sputter and backfire. When it does run, it bogs down before it accelerates. I've changed TPS & MAF sensor. I also cleaned fuel filter and checked relay. Thermostat housing is also new, so it has new ECT sensor. I released pressure at the Schrader Valve, but it doesn't spray, it just kind of oozes out. I'm out of ideas. IAC motor? Fuel pump? And if it is the fuel pump, should I drop the tank, or cut a hole in the floorboard for access panel? Thanks in advance...
that sounds like fuel pump dying. usually it fails when hot and wont come back till it cools off. could be the iac but most liekly the pump imo. as for dropping tank vs access panel, its all personal prefrence. imo for the first time drop it so you can clean it all out etc, personally im a tank dropped but theres also a use for the access panel too. all down to what you prefer

Drop that tank.

The access hole is the easiest, and fast way too replace the fuel pump. The only problem is locating the center of the access hole in the floor and if one of the pump ring mounting bolt is frozen. Otherwise I drop my tank 3 times so far. The problem I had ( rust belt) was the front mounting bolts skid plate, my tank strap was broken ( common problem and recall). On my 95, they a quick disconnect fitting on the filler neck at the tank. Rusted in place. I believe your year is a band clamp. The trick to the quick disconnect connector is to rotate the coupler. When the partially hanging reach in and disconnect the vent line, fuel line mark them, they stick also and the electrical connector. After all that is done drop the tank ( before doing this work run the tank almost empty. After all of the above, it just drops out. The next problem Was the fuel pump mounting bolts, one was rusted in place. I cover the tank and removed the rusted bolt with my cut off wheel. I also had a problem with rusted out brake line fuel tank vapor line, this is the time to remove it, replace them. Your in a open gym with the tank out.

It is your fuel pump

Only install a new BOSCH pump

It takes me 45 minutes to drop the tank from a Gen II explorer, it is not that difficult.
Of course it can then take 4 hours just to release one fuel line, but that is another story, usually they come right off. Especially if you use some PB blaster and compressed air in the spring lock fittings before you try to remove the lines

If you plan to keep the truck forever then cutting the access hole is nice! I am just not a huge fan of the access hole location on the Gen II, its in a funky spot.

A new Bosch pump and strainer installed with a new filter should last you another 200K miles if you keep the tank above 1/4 and the tank is clean inside :)

Back