Grape Ape SAS .. finally!!! '97 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grape Ape SAS .. finally!!! '97 Ranger

Grape Ape SAS..finally!!!

Hey everyone,

I know this is a Ranger, but several people here have asked for me to post my conversion on this board. Enjoy!

Here are the main facts: '97 Ranger S/C 4x4
currently running 36" swampers - soon to be 38" SX's
Front Axle:
Chevy full width, 3/4 ton (8 lug - passenger side diff) Dana 44, with 5:38 gears, open (Lock-Right coming soon).
Located by custom radius arms made from 1 3/4" .250 wall tubing. The ends use bushings and the rear mount is the same as a Ranger/EX. I cut up some old radius arms and welded the threaded part into the tubing.
These arms will be changed in the future for better movement. But for now, I will just remove one of the upper arms while off-road, to not hinder the natural rotating of the axle while it flexes.

Rear Axle:
Dodge full width, 1 ton, full floater Dana 60 converted to disc brakes. Has 5:38 gears, 30 spline shafts, and a Detroit locker. It is suspended via stock Ranger leaf springs with a custom, lowered rear hanger (similar to a Chevy mod I've seen). This keeps the springs relatively flat, so they flex better than lift springs.

Dual Transfer Cases:
Behind the stock manually shifted BW1354 t-case is a Jeep Dana 20 t-case with an AA divorce kit installed. This t-case has the passenger side front output, thus the use of the Chevy front axle instead of a Ford. The two t-cases are joined via a short slip-shaft driveshaft assembly. I am working on a twin stick conversion for the D20, so I have more F&R drive options on the trail. With these t-cases and the gearing, my final crawl ratio is 105:1!!!

Problems:
Due to the centered diff on the rear axle, the driveshaft now hits the gas tank when flexing to one side. The solution - fuel cell. Or shorten the housing on one side - to much $$ for me now though.

Here are some pics:
Newtwist6.jpg
Newtwist6.jpg

Newbrakes2.jpg
Newbrakes2.jpg

Duals3SM.jpg
Duals3SM.jpg

For more pictures, follow this link:
My Library

Dean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good.:thumbsup:

I moved your thread to the Explorer/Ranger Axle Swap Registry forum. I also linked your photos.

Thanks Rick,

And thanks for the image comment. I will know now when posting other pics!
Sweet EX BTW.
Dean

Very nice rig. Mine keeps looking smaller and smaller!

Here are some more pics of the front axle.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Dean

A few more of the dual t-case setup:

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

And one of the hole in the floor for the twin-stick shifters
Dead Link Removed

Cut and reinforced engine cross member:
Dead Link Removed

Engine crossover brace and coil-over remote reservoirs. Note new locations for fluid reservoirs:
Dead Link Removed

Dean

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

I actually drove the truck for the first time in over a year and an half. Still have some things to finish, but man, does it feel good!!!!

Just had to tell someone!!!!

Dean

Very nice work. Congrats!

How is your ebrake on the transfercase comming?

I'll get some pics soon. But it's done. Just need to adjust it some for it to work like a charm.

Would you mind creating a thread about how you did it and parts you used? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in how it's done. I know it's been discussed before but not done to my knowledge. 410Fortune would really like to do this for the BroncoII. Thanks again.

Well, the e-brake setup is actually on the divorced Jeep Dana 20 transfer case that is behind the stock BW1354. So, I don't know how it would work with stock Borg Warner t-case. I can take a look at it and give you some ideas though,if that would help. Really not good for a whole thread if it isn't related, as of yet.
I'll see what I can find out first.

Dean

Dean,

You have created the first Ranger HI Boy with that divorced T case!!!

That is just sick man...nice work. Have you thought about a Bronco II fuel tank?

The driveline brake you installed, was it a part of the T case divorce kit or did you add it?
Is it cable operated using a motorcycle style caliper????

I an thinking of installing one (probably have to make an adapter) on the rear output of the BW1354, Should be plenty of clearance there under my truck, just a matter of getting the right parts.
I know they sell some kits for Toyota T cases.......

Again the Grape Apr is a beast, I am really glad you finished it and did not sell it.....hold on to that sucker, I will probably get burried in my truck........

Originally posted by Grape Ape
Well, the e-brake setup is actually on the divorced Jeep Dana 20 transfer case that is behind the stock BW1354. So, I don't know how it would work with stock Borg Warner t-case. I can take a look at it and give you some ideas though,if that would help. Really not good for a whole thread if it isn't related, as of yet.
I'll see what I can find out first.

Dean

Sorry, it looked like it was on the BW1354.

NOTAJP,
Dude, you caught me.....I had too much going on in my mind that I got confused. You are correct about it being on the BW unit. I WILL post a new thread once I get better picks of the whole setup. Sorry about that. More info below.

Hey 410,

Yeah, I'm glad I kept it too, but for how long I don't know.
Anyways, I used the disc and caliper from Allpro Offroad (Toyota guys) like you mentioned. I had to fill in the holes in the disc and redrill them to match bolt pattern on the rear output flange. I was trying to find a motorcycle type disc brake to use, but couldn't find any with a small enough diameter to keep from hitting the body (remember that I have a 3" body lift). I had to fab a mounting bracket for the caliper, that gets bolted to the four holes on the bottom left of the rear of the t-case. Also, I just saw in the last Four Wheeler mag, a new billet e-brake caliper that would work great for this application.
It is operated with the standard foot e-brake pedal. I used a swivel and some threaded rod and heim joints for the final connections. I still need to adjust it some, but it seems to work well, and when all done, will be stronger than the stock e-brake setup.
Dean

Awesome! Thanks!

I wonder if it puts any stress on the output shaft seal for the T case??? Shouldnt as long as it is centered properly........

Nice work.

That sure would come in handy when holing the BII on a hill (MOAB) or when holding the boat on the launch ramp.......

Thanks Dean! That gets me thinking in the right direction. That would help so much in my rear flex to not have those cables all over. I just need to figure out if it'll all fit with the fuel tank right there. Looks great! Can't wait to see how your caliper turns out.

GRAPE APE IS FINISHED!!!!!
All except the front two piece driveshaft and the new exhaust. I'm starting a new thread about the t-case mounted e-brake too, in "Modified Explorations".

Dean

Nice looking rig! I believe it's For Sale now on the Tennesse-Offroad Board.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks FordBeast98,

Unfortunately, you are correct. Other priorities have taken over, and I just need to get rig of it.

Dean

Back