HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

I have them on three vehicles now and i know ALLOT of people with GM's running them. It's the go to kit for most GM owners.
I can count at least 5 people i personally know who has been running the DDM kits with no problems myself included. The longest i've had a kit so far is just over 2 years.

I went online after you gave me the part#s but they seem to get really mixed reviews.

Are the parts all out of China?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went online after you gave me the part#s but they seem to get really mixed reviews.

Are the parts all out of China?

Yes i believe they are. I have personally never seen a kit fail from them. I'm sure it happens i've just never seen it. I do know that if it did happen they offer i believe a lifetime warranty.

Yes i believe they are. I have personally never seen a kit fail from them. I'm sure it happens i've just never seen it. I do know that if it did happen they offer i believe a lifetime warranty.

Im realizing everything comes from China so thats not really a downside to the product. Lifetime Warranty is good just need to read the details.

Im realizing everything comes from China so thats not really a downside to the product. Lifetime Warranty is good just need to read the details.

Yep, pretty much. Sometimes you get a Taiwan,lol.

I believe China will be building Explorers in 2015 but speculation is it will be for Chinese sales only.

Peter

The only thing I am unsure of at this point is the connector to the ballast(s). I don't know if they are using the same connector. I'm going to go to a local dealer and test drive a limited with HID's so I get a closer look. All together, I can do the factory HID install for about $275, probably a little less.

Any updates? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested in a "factory" HID upgrade using OEM parts. A step by step tutorial in a separate thread would probably be pretty popular too.

Thanks for the play by play!

I Installed the 6000K's on my Sport today. Only issue I had was leaving the bottom "screw-on clear cover bulb protector" as shown in the pic. I just used dykes to clip the thin plastic to remove the base cover. I also removed the top portion of my airbox so my ape hands can work easily on the drivers side. Absolutely as easy to install as the passenger side. I ALSO had to flip one plug around so the light would work. (polarity issue as stated earlier) There really isn't a need to tape that plug up even though the clip no longer works. The yellow rubber gasket has enough tension to keep that plug in place. The coolbulbs included (2) white, 3m square tape pads that seems to be of lesser adhesion than my store bought RED 3m tape strips. If the stock pad doesn't hold the transformer in place over time I will switch to the reliable Red 3m tape. Hope this helps on future installs! Guess the fog lights are next. Just not too keen on the fact there isn't a good place to mount the transformer on the front fascia.

Buzz

Just gonna throw this out there, since I havent messed with HIDs in years....

I have 2 kits here I can use ballasts from, but does the factory headlight plug jive with the ballast on most of the kits people here have tried? Also, I just need bulbs for now, and I'm not sure I want to risk the money (and headlights) on garbage Chi-com bulbs. Where are you guys having the best luck from?

Just gonna throw this out there, since I havent messed with HIDs in years....

I have 2 kits here I can use ballasts from, but does the factory headlight plug jive with the ballast on most of the kits people here have tried? Also, I just need bulbs for now, and I'm not sure I want to risk the money (and headlights) on garbage Chi-com bulbs. Where are you guys having the best luck from?

Coolbulbs.com was super ez. Headlight plug snaps in perfectly. The stock wire could be a inch longer for easier install but this isnt a game changer issue. I am going to order a couple dust covers from ford so I have backups in case I have to resort back to a stock bulb in a pinch. Once you install these the first time, the learning curve will be pretty flat the second time around if needed.

I've had my cool bulb HIDs in for over a year now. No problems at all. No radio interference no electrical issues. The come with a ballast and wiring harness. I spoke with the techs at Ford and they said they wouldn't cause any issues what so ever.

For those who purchased the DDM HID kit, did you have to purchase a time delay relay? Do your lights start up instantly in "Auto" mode? I'm seeing people with issues in installing their HIDs...

I had some on my 07 CTS, installed them myself, no problems on "Auto" mode, but i was wondering if there is an issue with the Explorer?

For those who purchased the DDM HID kit, did you have to purchase a time delay relay? Do your lights start up instantly in "Auto" mode? I'm seeing people with issues in installing their HIDs...

I had some on my 07 CTS, installed them myself, no problems on "Auto" mode, but i was wondering if there is an issue with the Explorer?
Welcome to the Forum umalip.:wavey:
I'm sure someone will be along to provide you with an answer.

Peter

If you're concerned about quality, why not go for these?

Having said that, these seem quite nice and have good reviews over @ hidplanet.com. I've purchased this same kit (canbus + 5000k bulbs). Just have to wait for my XLT to arrive in Feb, but will post update when installed.

My cool bulbs HID's have no issues starting up in "auto mode".
No misfiring issue and no time delay relay required. However; I believe someone mentioned something about with push button start on the EX the lights will initially fire, then shut off while the vehicle is turning over and then immediately fire again when the car is fully running. It happens so fast and you can't really notice anything. The coolbulbs ballast are still capable off successfully firing up the bulbs regardless but the thought behind the cars starting process is that the double firing of the bulbs in the span of a split second could reduce bulb longevity.

In the spring I plan to add in the time delay module just to be safe. Cool bulbs sells the relay module harness and you can also get them on ebay for under $10 a pair. They have the same mating connectors and are all plug and play with the HID ballasts and bulbs. To connect them in line would be a simple 5 minute job and the only extra thing you'd have to do is run the power wire to the battery terminal (no big deal).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-12V-40A-X...ccessories&hash=item2c79c70811&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Thanks all for the help. I'm really not worried about my purchase, I'm aware of the phrase, "you get what you paid for", and i've had my run in with bad chinese made products...

But i read on another post that people had problems with them firing on Auto...

The place i've gotten them before were from www.sharphid.com, they worked awesome and it was easy to install, just a pain on a cadi cuz u you to remove entire front bumper and the headlight assembly, was a pain in the butt, but once all off, it was easy to install.

Cant wait to do this DIY project and then i'm going to tackle the LED swap on the interior lights.

My cool bulbs HID's have no issues starting up in "auto mode".
No misfiring issue and no time delay relay required. However; I believe someone mentioned something about with push button start on the EX the lights will initially fire, then shut off while the vehicle is turning over and then immediately fire again when the car is fully running. It happens so fast and you can't really notice anything. The coolbulbs ballast are still capable off successfully firing up the bulbs regardless but the thought behind the cars starting process is that the double firing of the bulbs in the span of a split second could reduce bulb longevity.

In the spring I plan to add in the time delay module just to be safe. Cool bulbs sells the relay module harness and you can also get them on ebay for under $10 a pair. They have the same mating connectors and are all plug and play with the HID ballasts and bulbs. To connect them in line would be a simple 5 minute job and the only extra thing you'd have to do is run the power wire to the battery terminal (no big deal).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-12V-40A-X...ccessories&hash=item2c79c70811&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

I just finished an hid install on my 14 sport with push button start. On the screen to the left of the steering wheel you are able to set a delay for the autolights. No relay needed it is a factory setting, check it out. Go into vehicle>settings>lighting. There will be an option for 5, 10, and 120 second delay.

I used a relay harness to ensure the ballasts are getting enough power but I'm not sure it is really necessary.

I just finished an hid install on my 14 sport with push button start. On the screen to the left of the steering wheel you are able to set a delay for the autolights. No relay needed it is a factory setting, check it out. Go into vehicle>settings>lighting. There will be an option for 5, 10, and 120 second delay.

I used a relay harness to ensure the ballasts are getting enough power but I'm not sure it is really necessary.
Welcome to the Forum Jzales:wavey:
I hope you're enjoying your new Sport. Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Would all 2014's (XLT) have this?

Would all 2014's (XLT) have this?
You should if you have the auto highbeam feature. It's on page 130 of your Owner's Guide.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The adjustable delay is good to know. The longer delay(120 seconds) would be good to prevent the lights from turning on in the garage(during the day) and turning off shortly after you exit the garage into the daylight.

Back