How Capable??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Capable???

I'm looking into do a TT up front and WAR-153 in the rear with 31" m/t + mini spool. How capable will this setup be? The last rig I had was an '88 Sami w/ 6" lift + 32" TSL locked frt/rear w/ transfercase gears and trying to figure out how they will compare and what I can basically expect from my explorer...

I'm going to be going local parks like Morris Mountain and RiverRock...my offroad club just started a "spec-class" w/ rules like no tires over 35" or MAJOR mods...I don't want to be the guy to get stuck all the time!

:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a 2dr or 4dr?

It may be pretty capable, but that's not comparable at all really. The explorer is much heavier than the sami and not geared even close, and has a lot less ground clearance.

...kevo, where are you located??? yr/4x?/model of your truck...if it's in your signature it's easier to answer, when you forget to put it in your question ...:D

...but froader did fine with out it, lol...:scratch:

With a local wheeling spot called River Rock, i'm assuming your in mid-south GA?

...kevo, where are you located??? yr/4x?/model of your truck...if it's in your signature it's easier to answer, when you forget to put it in your question ...:D

...but froader did fine with out it, lol...:scratch:

Sorry about that...here if the info

My name is Kevin (Kevo) and I live in Columbus, GA...the club I wheel with is HavocOffroad.com and we mostly stick to Morris Mountain, RiverRock and occasionally GreyRock or Tellico.

1997 XLT 4WD 4-door
I'm planning on a SAS later on down the road once I tear up the IFS...lol

Thanks for the help...

A mostly stock 4Dr 2nd gen Ex will be nowhere near the capability of a lifted and locked Sami, but neither will any other stock SUV for that matter. With a rear spool, you CAN expect off road performance better than most contemporary SUV's, but if you end up running with a group of shorter wheelbase vehicles, you should expect to get stuck more often. No way around that.

Adding a body lift and putting on 33s instead of 31s might help a bit without getting into "MAJOR" mods, but if the goal is 'SAMI similar capability', then you will need that SAS, locked front/rear and lower gearing and even then (as FROADER said) it's a completely different class of vehicle and can't really be compared.

I didn't really want to compare the two because a SAMI is pretty much a really BIG ATV...I trying to make my Xplorer as capable as possible on the smallest budget for bragging rights since the club has started this new class. I'll possibly look into adding a 3" BL so I can fit the 33" tires...will they work on the factory rims?

Yes, you can put 33s on factory rims, but rims with a bit less backspacing would be better if you can possibly add that to your (already growing...) list :).

Assuming you can't change the front suspension or put a locker up front, your best bet will be getting the most travel out of the rear. For that, you might want to go with some softer 2" lift springs instead of shackles. That along with a body lift will allow several inches more rear articulation.

^^ also disconnect the front and rear sway bar that will give quite a bit more travel. what are your current gears?

^^ also disconnect the front and rear sway bar that will give quite a bit more travel. what are your current gears?

I'm not sure, whatever comes in a '97 XLT Control-Trac (4x4)...it has an open rear diff right? I hope so...make it easier to throw in mini-spool! I'm not wanting to upgrade the front diff/suspension because I will be doing a SAS soon or later. Where can I get the 2" leaf springs? All I have seen for the rear are the shackles since it is spring under axle.

look at the door jamb(on the actual door) under axle it has a number. That will tell you if you have a limited slip or an open diffy and what the gearing is. You can get 2" lift springs online deaver's etc....there are some cheaper ones..i'll look for the link. Also you can use F-150 leaves as an "AAL" but that will decrease travel because it will stiffen up the pack.
F-150 leaves- http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035&highlight=F-150+springs

Also you might want to do the brown wire mod to get yourself 2-lo and 2-hi.

Axle codes to help you figure out what you have.

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

Dangit Froader!!

If you plan on driving it on the street at all do not buy a mini spool. I have one and it sucks on the street. Get a LockRight or Aussie locker.

If you plan on driving it on the street at all do not buy a mini spool. I have one and it sucks on the street. Get a LockRight or Aussie locker.

This isn't a DD as I have my Tundra for that...I've driven my SAMI that had a welded rear on the street all the time, it wasn't that bad just have to be cautious...I'm either going to weld the 8.8 or throw a minispool in there...I have to make sure it doesn't have a factory limited-slip first...forgot to do that last night!

I heard of someone removing a single leaf from each leaf pack, and adding 2 Ranger single leafs to each side, The ranger leaf springs are softer therefore adding some travel.

I finally got the axle code "46" so from the chart above it has 3.73 open differential...at least it will be easier to put the mini-spool in!

Back