If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

But that's difficult to do for a crawler, need to lift it a bit. For a street cruiser or like performance X, that would be fantastic!
Idea is still the same, batteries make up the floor of the vehicle so COG is as low as possible. It just needs a proper suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Idea is still the same, batteries make up the floor of the vehicle so COG is as low as possible. It just needs a proper suspension.
Which as said complicates the situation. It can be done, yeah, just requires some decent dedication to the project! I still vote the new ev Charger drivetrain for a swap. Claiming it can do 4 wheel burnouts and all, could you imagine an X with that kind of power and torque? As a crawler or a street truck, that would be a beast!

Let's just convince the few of us on here that have first gens with Jurassic Park paint jobs, to electric swap, would make it more movie accurate since they were electric in the movie!

Which as said complicates the situation. It can be done, yeah, just requires some decent dedication to the project! I still vote the new ev Charger drivetrain for a swap. Claiming it can do 4 wheel burnouts and all, could you imagine an X with that kind of power and torque? As a crawler or a street truck, that would be a beast!

Let's just convince the few of us on here that have first gens with Jurassic Park paint jobs, to electric swap, would make it more movie accurate since they were electric in the movie!

The multispeed transmission in the Banshee would be a bonus as well.

6.9 pull from a 1986 my boom wouldnt lift it high enough i had to drag the truck out from under it backwards. something got snagged and instead of gliding out the boom pivoted up

:rolleyes:
View attachment 433461
For me, the 6.9 is a hard pass. IDI is not as efficient, that motor weighs twice of anything offered in a 2nd gen, I won't get into how far the firewall would have to be moved. A Kubota V2403 with a turbo would get you the same power and 40 mpg on the freeway.

I decided to start this thread to hear all about what engines people would like to have in a second gen Explorer.
Personally, I have loved the 4.0 SOHC for all the abuse it has held up to, but I am pretty sure I got all I could out of mine and am planning a drivetrain swap.
The 5.0 Pushrod engine that came in 4 doors would be an easier swap in my 2 door as they already came in 4 door models.
Having a love for superchargers I want to boost mine but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to bolt a roots style supercharger on the 5.0 pushrod engine.
What would you put in your second gen Explorer if you were going to do a drivetrain swap?
Picture for attention.

View attachment 433166
7.3l !

How about a 7.3l with a 5 speed from a 95 f250 SWB single cab!
Motor dimensions and weight make it impractical. A cat C4.4 can be had at 200 hp and 600 lb/ft twist which is close to what the powerstroke makes. The cat is shorter than a 302 and about 300 lbs heavier.

Motor dimensions and weight make it impractical. A cat C4.4 can be had at 200 hp and 600 lb/ft twist which is close to what the powerstroke makes. The cat is shorter than a 302 and about 300 lbs heavier.
What’s that come out of? I’m completely diesel ignorant.

What’s that come out of? I’m completely diesel ignorant.
Anything from construction equipment, tractors, skid steers, etc. Millions of them out there so they can be had very cheap. The C4.4 was the 3054 back in the mechanical injection days

Gotcha. Being industrial means parts availability will be strong for a long time.

Gotcha. Being industrial means parts availability will be strong for a long time.
I'm sure it has been used in other applications, those are the most common I see. Stationary gensets with a few hundred hours go for $5k complete. A few years ago I bought a Jeep Liberty CRD for a decent price based on the stack of receipts for all the recent work done. I drove the car home, turned it off and it never started again. VM makes junk diesels. The engine bay on that car is similar dimensions as a 2nd gen explorer, I've been comparing diesel engines that would fit. The Cummins R2.8 repower would be cool, but the price is more than I want to spend. A 4BT or ISB 170 fits. A few Cat engines would fit. I'm thinking a Duramax 6.6.

I love my 7.3's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I would never try to stuff that pig into a gen II, the engine longblock weighs 920# just the block!!

Yanmar or Kubota diesel, now you are talking. That is why if money was no object and I had the choice I listed the Cummins 2.8 repower, it is basically MADE for this comes with what you need to make it run and well its a diesel Cummins engine so sky is the limit (until something blows!!)

I love my 7.3's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I would never try to stuff that pig into a gen II, the engine longblock weighs 920# just the block!!

Yanmar or Kubota diesel, now you are talking. That is why if money was no object and I had the choice I listed the Cummins 2.8 repower, it is basically MADE for this comes with what you need to make it run and well its a diesel Cummins engine so sky is the limit (until something blows!!)

Only issue I have with a diesel is how do you get enough wheel speed when you need it with a low RPM engine?

With a turbo of course!! LOL

Throttle response in a diesel is a bit slow but the torque you need is there instantly
If diesels had quicker throttle response you may see more of them in the desert racing trucks, they are tough enough to finish the race and powerful enough to hang with the 1200 horse small blocks
I always said the future of desert/rock racing is full independent suspension 4wd and turbo diesel
we are starting to see some 4wd be competitive in Baja

Electric motors would give you the wheel spin you are after, for what? Sand? Mud?

Sand, mud and especially loose hill climbs.

If cost was no object, I’d run a hybrid diesel. Diesel 2wd to the rear, with independent electric motors on each front wheel. I’d keep the battery small, and use the diesel as a generator/rear drive. Maybe have the batteries so they could run 20-30 minutes without power, just to get you to a place where recovery wouldn’t be balls.

Electric motors can use advanced motion controls to provide traction control multiple times what is currently available. The limits are really the heat the motor can survive, and the juice you can feed it. Motion control processing has already been figured out by industrial high speed motor control. They could be programmed from everything from almost zero wheel spin, to full tilt on with zero control.

In an auto setting, you’d probably still use the brake system to back up the braking of the motor in traction control situations.

and it could be regenerative so when going downhill or only in rwd the front motors would be charging the batteries
hybrid rock racer!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and it could be regenerative so when going downhill or only in rwd the front motors would be charging the batteries
hybrid rock racer!!
They’d be great for getting off the line. On a crawler you could also lock a wheel, and all other sorts of voodoo that could give you a real upper hand.

Back