If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

I'm old school prejudiced against boring out, for reasons of cooling/weakening /thinning walls. But that goes back to '70s engines. And it's not like I'm going to DIY it either. Crazy idea I had, get another early 80s Crown Vic and have it lifted and 4x4 installed, likely impossible, but would be a fun ride. Or do the same with an old Mopar. Really miss driving a V8, my SOHC gets similar mileage to one. ALL of this is in pipe dream land for me. But if money were no object....
Damn if somebody actually did it!!! But he has an '08
Ford Festival 2021: Lifted Crown Vic Takes to the Sky on Hooptie X Off-Road Course

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A V10 in a 2nd gen would be cool, do a mid engine setup or more like a twin engine setup with a V8 under the hood.

Mine came factory with a 302 so naturally while replacing my motor I stuck with the same size and just went with a 331 stroker. Seeing now how much room going with a Holley efi saved me, my next motor will be a 408 or 427 most likely. Although I’m far from that my 300 hp at the rear tire on 37’s makes me happy currently. Maybe a blower in the near future.

Mine came factory with a 302 so naturally while replacing my motor I stuck with the same size and just went with a 331 stroker. Seeing now how much room going with a Holley efi saved me, my next motor will be a 408 or 427 most likely. Although I’m far from that my 300 hp at the rear tire on 37’s makes me happy currently. Maybe a blower in the near future.
37? dad gum, what lift ya running for those? Most find it difficult to fit even 35s with the 5" lift, do a sas? Those would be an interesting swap when and if done! That 331 sounds so nice

edit: nevermind, read your bio, coilovers and all, still wicked that ya can run the 37s, most of us only dream of that! Rig looks sweet man!

37? dad gum, what lift ya running for those? Most find it difficult to fit even 35s with the 5" lift, do a sas? Those would be an interesting swap when and if done! That 331 sounds so nice

edit: nevermind, read your bio, coilovers and all, still wicked that ya can run the 37s, most of us only dream of that! Rig looks sweet man!
Yea, I’m on a set of custom control arms, 3/4 custom tube chassis and 4-link with 7” extended rear wheelbase. She’s had a little work done! Lol

Yea, I’m on a set of custom control arms, 3/4 custom tube chassis and 4-link with 7” extended rear wheelbase. She’s had a little work done! Lol
Just a tad! Love the build! Got a log on here by chance? Would love to read through it one of these days

Just a tad! Love the build! Got a log on here by chance? Would love to read through it one of these days

Appreciate it!

I'm aiming to swap a 6.0 LY6 or L96 into my Sport at some point. The aftermarket support for LS and forced induction potential for the iron block is what's really appealing to me. Long-term, I'm dreaming of a a 408 stroker build with a supercharger...

That said, I absolutely love the 2JZ-GTE Rangers I've seen online and think that'd be a blast if you can afford a 2JZ.

Still waiting for the first Godzilla attempt too.

I've always thought a turbo 13B swapped Navajo would be entertaining just to confuse the Ford and Mazda fans.

At times I've even wondered what a built, turbo K24A would be like -- there'd definitely be plenty of room!

I bet a VQ would fit great too.

What are you people smoking talking about turbos and superchargers ?

What did super unleaded peak at $6.50 a gallon ? Next time you will be seeing 10 bucks a gallon .

diesel was right up there too actually but a 4bt wouldnt use much so thats not a bad idea

I learned that lesson when i was in my 20s and felt like the stroker i was bulding needed 10.5 to1 compression. Sucks having something you cant afford to drive because of the entirely avoidable problems you self created when you built it 😆

What did super unleaded peak at $6.50 a gallon ? Next time you will be seeing 10 bucks a gallon .
Sounds like one vote for a Tesla dual-motor swap ;)

Keeping with the Ford brand, if you go EV you would want to use the Eluminator.
The one it my Mach-E takes me to the same 0-60 as my supercharged Jag.

What are you people smoking talking about turbos and superchargers ?

diesel was right up there too actually but a 4bt wouldnt use much so thats not a bad idea

I learned that lesson when i was in my 20s and felt like the stroker i was bulding needed 10.5 to1 compression. Sucks having something you cant afford to drive because of the entirely avoidable problems you self created when you built it 😆

I’m all about smiles per gallon! 🤙🏼

I decided to start this thread to hear all about what engines people would like to have in a second gen Explorer.
Personally, I have loved the 4.0 SOHC for all the abuse it has held up to, but I am pretty sure I got all I could out of mine and am planning a drivetrain swap.
The 5.0 Pushrod engine that came in 4 doors would be an easier swap in my 2 door as they already came in 4 door models.
Having a love for superchargers I want to boost mine but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to bolt a roots style supercharger on the 5.0 pushrod engine.
What would you put in your second gen Explorer if you were going to do a drivetrain swap?
Picture for attention.

View attachment 433166
I am going ripping my 4.0 out soon and replace with a rebuilt performance 4.6 with a whipple.

For low end torque then probably a large 4 cylinder diesel with propane injection. (behaves like nitrous oxide in a gas engine)

If you wanted to go really off of the normal approach, you could put in a 3 - 400 kW EV motor and pull a generator in a trailer. The main advantage is that it might actually get emission approved in a tougher state. At one point I considered this as a way to use a Kodiak truck in CA.

Like many ideas - didn't happen.

I get about 17-18 highway and 12 - 15 town lol
Supercharged 10 pounds boost ;)
Man, I got that normally in the stock SOHC, I averaged between both around 14-16 mpg 😂
How the heck is your mileage so nice even with a supercharger 😂
The Rado is getting like 17-19mpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If money was no issue 2.3l and a 10 speed transmission hell yeah. It be a rocket. I would also consider the 2.7. If I could find one low mileage 351 or 302!

Back