Joe Dirt's Wedgie | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe Dirt's Wedgie

Yeah, it sounded funny worded that way. :D Yes, I let my 6 year old name the car. When I mentioned that it was Wedgewood Blue, the name was blurted out in 5 seconds.

She's Deep Wedgewood Blue with a Dark Graphite leather interior.
105,000 miles, a V8 AWD of course, and sporting leather chaps inside. :D

So, the work starts- I need to swap over my audio stuff, visors, auto dimming mirror, rims and tires, trailer hitch, front lights, put in a new leather wheel and clean the hell out of the truck. I can't help but do that... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seeing that roof rack pic reminds me how bad the paint needs to be detailed after the PO's wax job prior to selling... :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Bwhahaha!

He is at it again! LOL!

IMG_2605.jpg

I love that pic... :D

keep up the good work and congrads on getting an 00 x

Thanks Sam! :)

What did you do at lunch today? :D

Since today is supposed to be the nicest day for a few, I decided to take an extended lunch. Figured I'd drive home, grab my nasty carpet, and head to my favorite quarter wash to blast it off.

So, I loaded it up into Shamrock, and off we went...

IMG_2678.jpg

Here we are... You Grand Rapids people should recognize A+... :)

IMG_2679.jpg

Gross!!

IMG_2680.jpg

Ready with my wand in hand. No- ready with my tool. No. Nevermind, nothing will sound any better. If someone suggests "squirting wand" you're very middle-school. Get your mind out of the gutter, pervs.

IMG_2681.jpg

Here we go... Holy dirt! It didn't look this bad...

IMG_2682.jpg

Afterward, I'm misty eyed at the results.

IMG_2685.jpg

Give the drying a head start with the human squeegee...

IMG_2690.jpg

Much better!!

IMG_2691.jpg

...and drying on the railing at work for reinstall hopefully later tonight or tomorrow :thumbsup:

IMG_2692.jpg

Looks good, I'd be surprised if you could hold off til tomorrow for reinstall :D

Yeah, probably won't happen... BUT, I haven't cleaned the floorboards, etc. yet, so I may do that and give the carpet an extra day to dry since I also need to swap my wheels from one truck to the other...

I think recognize that car wash from either snowball's or shamrock's registry.... Wedgie's carpet look disgusting before you cleaned it. :eek:

A tip for those guys who just don't think things thru (like myself): If you wash it, and notice that you didn't get it quite as clean as you would have like...let it dry completely before taking it back to the wash.

With the padding still wet it won't take long for your carpet to get so waterlogged that no clamps in the world will hold it up. Then you're wrastling with a soaked, soapy carpet that you're trying to flip on top of your Ex just so you can keep it vertical.

...not fun! Although finding enough money under all your seats to pay for the wash is! :thumbsup:

I think recognize that car wash from either snowball's or shamrock's registry.... Wedgie's carpet look disgusting before you cleaned it. :eek:

Hell Wedgies before carpet cleaning is cleaner than my carpet is. Joe would pass out if he ever saw my carpet :D

I might pass out... :D

Actually, of the 3 carpets I had, I think this one was the best to start with. They had rubber mats on the carpet, which always discolors from the chemicals, thus the gray stripe in the rear seat section.

For comparison, Shamrock's carpet was much worse than this one was... Snowball's carpet wasn't bad, but worse than this one.
Interesting- look at the cost savings in 2000 by making 2 larger cuts for the center console vs. 3 smaller cute in '97...

Wedgie:

IMG_2680.jpg

Shamrock:

IMG_0828.jpg

...then you're wrastling with a soaked, soapy carpet that you're trying to flip on top of your Ex just so you can keep it vertical...

Very true- 4 clips won't hold it, the one corner needs to be over the last clip or it falls off. :D

So, tonight I got the floorboard cleaned up and ready for carpet re-installation, it didn't look bad, and I found $2.18! Win!

IMG_2693-1.jpg

But, speaking of "top 'o the Ex" since it was still wet when I got home, I heaved it on top of Shamrock to bake in the sun. 15 minutes later, the sun was behind the house. Oh well.
Uh, so yeah- I heaved it on top of Shamrock to catch the cool evening breeze. :D

Shamrock's toupe: (I could use one too)

IMG_2697.jpg

And Glen- you were sort of right, but I did it for you: There was carpet installed in the truck tonight, just not the one you said: :p:

IMG_2700.jpg

Yes Glen, I painted and detailed the cargo tiedowns... Ha ha!

The rest it still drying, the jute backing was still damp, don't want to trap moisture on the floorboards- that's a no-no. :)

So, I messed around swapping Shamrock's rims and tires onto Wedgie, and vice versa:

IMG_2699.jpg

Inspiration to all of us. It seems like you re-build all of your X's almost from the ground up. :thumbsup: Great work so far, can't wait to see whats next.

Again WoW!!

snowball is uber pissed now!

Snowball is broken... He tried moving a huge boat and something let go in the trans... Plus he broke the rear wiper, now that really pissed me off... :D

More like a hissy fit... :D

Back