Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you think I need to do to get some new blood out to Moab this year? I have the event posted on the main forum page, but it's the usuals who have signed up. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would be nice to introduce Moab to newbies as well:D

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Advertise to the Newbies. I bet that many are either scared to trash their rig, or they think they aren't capable enough to come.

We just need to let them know that there are trails of all kinds, mild to wild. Stock rigs can manage many of the trails, and others who have experience will be there to lead the way. It is possible to have a great time and run some amazing trails without 'rolling' your rig or getting body damage.

And if any of the "stockers" would like to ride along on one of the more difficult trails - we could have a "scare the crap out of a stocker" day. (of course a lot of the intensity is lost when it is not your own rig, and you are either wondering if you are going to suffer a horribly painful death at the hands of your significant other, or just die in the roll-over itself)

Of course we would have to have them sign disclaimers to say we are not held responsible for the thousands they spend later on upgrading their rigs, once they have been bitten by the bug.

Ohh I want to go and may- depending on my employment. I talked to the wife and as long as I can get the time off work (wherever that is), I'm in. Thats one heck of a drive (1500 miles one way)!

If I am going to go, I will need to get some lockers, I know.

Ive got the lift, tires, transfercase, tow points, tow strap and tools. It is my DD, so severe body damage is not acceptable at this point.

I guess my question is, given my current setup, with the addition of at least a rear locker and maybe a front, can I go do some fairly serious trails without wading my body up? Is there anything else I need to know or have?

lol
im going and im nearly as pumped as your truck!

There are many trails with many different levels of challenge that you can enjoy without risking damage. that's the beauty of Moab. With a rear locker or even limited slip there are plenty of choices of trails.

I have open diffs and still have done a few crazy trails. Especially on the slickrock, the traction is so incredible that you can go steeper than you ever thought possible. A locker would definately help, but you can have a lot of fun with an open diff too. I don't know what trails we will be doing, but in my little explorer with open diffs, 3" body lift, and 31s, I can do a lot of trails like Elephant Hill, Fins & Things, Kane Creek, Steelbender, etc. I even did Behind the Rocks. Don't let the name "Tip Toe Behind the Rocks" fool you. Its not an easy trail. It is Behind the Rocks with a bybass for the major spots like High Dive, Up Chuck, etc. I do not recommend that trail for a rig with as little modification as mine, but I still made it without the locker (taking the bypasses of course). But the other trails I mentioned above and several others that are very fun can easily be done in a rig like mine, and you have a better lift and bigger tires. So basically I'm saying, you'll be fine without a locker, or if you got the money and want to make it a little easier, go for it.

Oh, I forgot to mention body damage, which seemed to be your biggest concern. I guess I got side-tracked. Of the above trails, the only one that got me was Behind the Rocks, and even that was just all over the bottom. It just dented skid plates and stuff underneath, my actual body is still ok. Well, at least from the trails. Rust and other cars and bullet holes are different stories. But you can survive Moab without the scars and battlewounds.

It'd be great if we could get some new faces out there. Everyone with a 4x4 explorer should be out there. Heck bring your 2wd and enjoy the easy trails or ride along with someone else and enjoy the views. :thumbsup:

The most fun I ever had at Moab was my first year in '01 where I had just thrown on 33's and BL to clear them. :cool: I don't believe I had a locker at the time. Gerald was an excellent leader and helped me learn how to wheel on the slickrock. :thumbsup: Pics of that trip: Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4

Lockers are not required. There are MANY trails where even a 2wd would feel comfortable. My parents wheeled their 2wd 2002 Explorer to Gemini Bridges, and I personally have done all of Fins & Things (a moderately difficult trail) with no front diff just before I did the SAS.

I would however highly recommend skid plates and maybe some form of rocker protection.

As for body damage, it is fairly rare in Moab, as there is no lack of traction, and only very few obstacles that could cause it. If you listen to your spotter it is VERY unlikely. I believe the only body damage I've ever received at Moab was doing Escalator (an insane obstacle) having never seen the correct line and trying to spot myself through:
SANY0069.jpg

I agree, Moab has such huge traction that you can do an awful lot without lockers.... but you do need skid plates. There's not a lot of trees and stuff to bump your body panels into like there are on woodsy trails in other areas.

I didn't vote for the dates and this is my first reply to the thread since I now live so far away that I don't know how tough it will be to get out there.... but it is beginning to look like I'll be able to come again. I don't know how to get new faces out there but I would love to see that happen. It's so much fun to see someone get bitten by the bug once they come to Moab and then the next year see a totally transformed vehicle show up next time, LOL :)

It's hard to tell yet, but I'm pushing us here on the East Coast to pitch in and get a 'Semi capable of hauling two Explorers and maybe renting a van to ride in so we can take a trip out there in 2007... I think they're getting sick of me telling them how Moab's like Heaven on Earth and they want to see it for themselves :D

I'm trying, I'm trying! :thumbsup:

Skid plates are a problem for me. I have the superlift skid plate up front, but no other skid plates, ie gas tank or transfer case. I guess I need to find an x that came stock with em and transfer them over. Anybody know what years had them or if I can make them myself? Ideas? Suggestions?

I plan to remove my factory running boards before I come, I guess I could fab up some sliders in the meantime to serve two functions.

It's hard to tell yet, but I'm pushing us here on the East Coast to pitch in and get a 'Semi capable of hauling two Explorers and maybe renting a van to ride in so we can take a trip out there in 2007... I think they're getting sick of me telling them how Moab's like Heaven on Earth and they want to see it for themselves :D

I'm trying, I'm trying! :thumbsup:

I had a similar thought, but was thinking of buying an old u haul truck or F350 with no box on the back and building some ramps to let me load up the Mountaineer on the back, that way I can wheel without fear. Then I could pull another on a trailer with someone else's X on it. All of that depends on how much money I am making after I graduate in Dec.

Skid plates are a problem for me. I have the superlift skid plate up front, but no other skid plates, ie gas tank or transfer case. I guess I need to find an x that came stock with em and transfer them over. Anybody know what years had them or if I can make them myself? Ideas? Suggestions?

I plan to remove my factory running boards before I come, I guess I could fab up some sliders in the meantime to serve two functions.

I suggest you make your own. Mine came with the stock ones and they are form fitted to whatever they are protecting. It is certainly better than nothing, but sometime I'll need to get something a little more heavy duty. You might as well do it right the first time.

It's so much fun to see someone get bitten by the bug once they come to Moab and then the next year see a totally transformed vehicle show up next time, LOL :)

Ray Lobato comes to mind:D

Hey Gerald, I'm trying to make it this year too, and if I do I'm bringing cousin Ralph. Remember him? Hope to see ya.

Tom, you just gave me a lot more incentive to try to make it. I'd love to see both you and Ralph again.

Ray Lobato comes to mind:D

LOL.... from stock, straight to BigDawg, then on to webwheeler :D

HEY RAY, when ya gonna show up again?

Tom, you just gave me a lot more incentive to try to make it. I'd love to see both you and Ralph again.

Yea but this time I'll wear my boots and watch where I'm walking:splat: :D

HEY Ray, Where is you???????:dunno:

So what do you think I need to do to get some new blood out to Moab this year? I have the event posted on the main forum page, but it's the usuals who have signed up. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would be nice to introduce Moab to newbies as well:D

Any suggestions?

How about offering a "introduction to off-roading" class for newbees. I got a couple of good beginners tapes we can show and then do a little hands on practice. Count me in if I can make it.

I have it marked on my calendar, But it still too early to get vacation approved

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the first time I went to Moab, I followed Brett out there in the BII's, it was 02. All I had was a simple 3" drop bracket lift, 30" tires and a 4.0L.
WOW I had never seen anything like that before in my life, I had no idea trucks could do these things on trails/rocks.
I have been living and breathing 4x4ing ever since.

If you have the means to get out there, GO GO GO GO GO!!!! You will not regret it. Not only is the wheeling something to behold but Moab is one of the most amazing places on this planet and you dont have to be one of the big dawgs to enjot it that is for sure, in fact you dont even need a truck, yo ucan bike, hike or ride along, it makes for one hell of an amazing vacation.

I also made alot of new friends from the forum in person

b2s.jpg

brian.jpg

gerald.jpg

matt.jpg

moabledge02.jpg

moabscene.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back