MountaineerGreen's Sliders | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MountaineerGreen's Sliders

Looking good you building those in the shop where you work at.

I am building these at work which is an 80,000 sq foot building. Plenty of room to move around :)

I am taking a break right now, working on the mounts, should have one side done and a coat of paint on before I go home. The other side will have to wait until after Christmas.

After seeing Brian1's and Froader's with the tube outters, I think I am going to take these somewhere and get some tubes put on before I get the painting completely done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got some done today not as much as I would have liked. I made two U shaped brackets to slide up on the frame, then drilled holes at the top to bolt them in.

To make my welds stronger, I beveled the edges of the butt welds

slidersII_006_Medium_.jpg

slidersII_014_Medium_.jpg

Here are the brackets in place-

Rear bracket by the gas tank

slidersII_022_Medium_.jpg

I am going to be able to leave the tank in to install these

slidersII_021_Medium_.jpg

Middle bracket, by the transfer case

slidersII_019_Medium_.jpg

The front bracket is two plates with four holes drilled in them

slidersII_032.jpg

I didn't bother making a U bracket for the front, I gain nothing by doing so since the torsion bars are there.

Now, a question. I cut my first piece of metal shorter than this one, but it looked funny to me because it didn't go from wheel well to wheel well. So I made my second cut a little longer. It fits nice and tight- But is there a reason others haven't made theirs like this?

These pictures aren't with the slider mounted, but this will be very close to how it will end up.

slidersII_030_Medium_.jpg

slidersII_031_Medium_.jpg

slidersII_025_Medium_.jpg

slidersII_028_Medium_.jpg

Should it be shorter??

Look at the back of mine and see how close the tire is to the body. If it was as long as yours I might be rubbing on it already. The front I'll be cutting my fenders just about to where the slider stops next week, for tire clearance.

Froader2.jpg

Don't put them so high.. leave a gap between the body and the slider. Other wise when you hit arock you'll just crush the your body. and like colin said shorten them a bit, but maybe not as much as colins.

I would say move them down a inch or so. make the top of the slider even with the bottom of split seam, or just above it.;)

Well, the pinch weld is 1" down- I got one mount made today that put it about 3/8" into the pinch weld, which leaves about 3/4" from the body. Is that too close?

If it put corner gussets on the brackets, making the sliders rigid, how much will the frame give with three outriggers?

Well, the pinch weld is 1" down- I got one mount made today that put it about 3/8" into the pinch weld, which leaves about 3/4" from the body. Is that too close?

If it put corner gussets on the brackets, making the sliders rigid, how much will the frame give with three outriggers?

3/4" should be good:thumbsup: I'm only running 2 supports, but I'be been meanig to add a third. If you can do a third, do it. The frame will still flex, but just remember, a little flex is ok....if not good. With out it you'll be flexing other parts that may not be as strong.

I would have to say though, I think my frame and body flex less, after the sas, sense now the susp. does all the work.

Bump.

I love what you are doing with your Mounty. :thumbsup:

I would have to say though, I think my frame and body flex less, after the sas, sense now the susp. does all the work.

Yeah, Ive been thinking about that whole SAS thing for a little later. :D

No progress yet. I have been doing family suff but will go back to work on it tomorrow. I did get a new 6 amp 1/2" drill to drill my holes with. I about burned up the old 3/8" drill. Smoke was rolling the other day when I was finishing up.

Not really related, but I also got SAE and Metric sets of gear wrenches. :)

Yep, the tools were just what I wanted. I got some Craftsman universals and a magnetic pickup tool with a light built in. :D Tools are great :thumbsup:

No work today, ended up staying with the family longer than planned. I intend to start in early tomorrow and work all day. I should get both sets done tomorrow, I am almost done with the first one now. I've got to get these things done.

Now Ive got some tools to try out, they should make things easier. They will be painted flat black for the short term until I get the tube outer parts done and welded on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back