• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Mounty71's 4x4 Long Travel Build

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
....They look great and those look like some stout brackets for being temporary..:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
nice, those weren't on the red/white Explorer's roof rack were they? He had a set with red trim that were blacked out on the bottom.

Also, I can tell you from experience, you should really run those lights on a relay, I ran a cheapo set of 35w lights in my factory fog place and it burned up the factory headlight switch. It was a stupid rookie move on my part because I didn't know any better and I ended up needing to buy a $5 relay AND a $40 headlight switch. They lasted a couple weeks and then my lights started flickering and I lost headlights, foglights, etc.

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
nice, those weren't on the red/white Explorer's roof rack were they? He had a set with red trim that were blacked out on the bottom.

Also, I can tell you from experience, you should really run those lights on a relay, I ran a cheapo set of 35w lights in my factory fog place and it burned up the factory headlight switch. It was a stupid rookie move on my part because I didn't know any better and I ended up needing to buy a $5 relay AND a $40 headlight switch. They lasted a couple weeks and then my lights started flickering and I lost headlights, foglights, etc.
I know which explorer you're talking about, that guy actually has Hella HIDs i believe...but these were on a silverado work truck. And thanks for the tip on the wiring, i'm a complete newb when it comes to wiring. Just wondering why a relay would be needed if both these and the factory fog lights are 55W?

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
....They look great and those look like some stout brackets for being temporary..:biggthump
Thanks. For temporary they'll do fine, they will wobble a little bit forward and backward, but i'm not worried.

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
Just wondering why a relay would be needed if both these and the factory fog lights are 55W?
Hmm, maybe I stand corrected, I just know that with a cheap brand of fog lights I burned up my headlight switch, perhaps they were drawing a considerable amount of power although they were not much brighter. Perhaps I need to stroll over to the lighting forum and reeducate myself.

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Nice let me know how they hold up. I decided to convert my hellas to HID's due to the plastic housing of the kragen ones. But if they hold up i might buy 4 or 5 for my light rack when it's finished.

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Hmm, maybe I stand corrected, I just know that with a cheap brand of fog lights I burned up my headlight switch, perhaps they were drawing a considerable amount of power although they were not much brighter. Perhaps I need to stroll over to the lighting forum and reeducate myself.
Haha, i'm not very educated myself, but i was just curious. Hopefully it's as simple as it is in my mind.

Nice let me know how they hold up. I decided to convert my hellas to HID's due to the plastic housing of the kragen ones. But if they hold up i might buy 4 or 5 for my light rack when it's finished.
I wont be using them as often as you will, but after pismo this weekend i'll give you some feedback. Tons of guys on DR have them and love them for how inexpensive they are.

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Haha, i'm not very educated myself, but i was just curious. Hopefully it's as simple as it is in my mind.

I wont be using them as often as you will, but after pismo this weekend i'll give you some feedback. Tons of guys on DR have them and love them for how inexpensive they are.
Yeah i was so close to buying some. But i like the metal case of the hellas, and i got a 55w HID kit for a smoking deal. Also let me know how they hold the adjustment, that's my #1 compaint will hella 4000's is they dont hold up and down adjustment very well.

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
QUOTE]

yeah, I think similar, it sucked driving 4 hours holding my flash-to-pass light on for headlamps so from here on out I just go for relays for insurance.

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Forgot you wanted an update Sean. This past weekend i used the lights for 3 or 4 night runs and they are great! Such a huge improvement over stock headlights and brights, i just wish i could mount mine on a roof rack because mine don't shine far enough being mounted so low. With your current 3 lights on the bumper, i think you could use these just for a roof rack, maybe with a spotlight for way far in the distance, and you'd be set. They also held their position really well, even wobbling back and forth with the mounts that i have. It took a little while to get them pointed where i wanted them, but after that i was happy. But i read on DR that they've gone up to $137 each. :thumbdwn:

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Just a little foreshadowing to an update i should have tomorrow - my roommate began teaching me to weld tonight. :D Finally!

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Today i picked up what will be the beginning of my front bumper (and my friend's which we will be building together). Right now we have the boxed frame horns, the main tube, and light tabs. It'll be a few weeks before we'll have a chance to get them built, we still need to get the rest of the pieces of tubing.

P1020049.jpg

P1020047.jpg

P1020048.jpg

P1020050.jpg

And here are some of my first attempts at welding...not too bad.
P1020051.jpg

And here's a picture i like from my last trip to pismo.
P1020001.jpg

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...There's no turning back now...Can't wait to see the progress...:biggthump

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
I'm bored at school so i figure i'll update this.

I've gotten a few small projects taken care of recently, and a few more to do in the future. First, the bumper i posted about above isn't happening. My roommate built his, and it turned out awesome, but i decided not to do it, so everything was sold and is now on someone else's truck. I have a 1.5" piece of tubing already pre-bent and it fits the front end just about perfectly, and i got it for only $15, so i'll use that and save a lot of $$. When i do that i'll just run simple tubes to the frame instead of the boxed horns.

I put on some warrior shackles i've had for a couple years, then got some longer used procomp shocks for the rear and sold my old ones. Rear limit straps are gone because they're now too short and not really needed anyway. I also cranked the torsion bars to stiffen up the front.

I got some junkyard leaf springs because mine are really worn out, so we're gonna experiment with combining my current pack with the new pack so hopefully i can lose the AAL without losing any height. And my roommate who does some fabrication thought my front and rear tow hooks were installed very dangerously, so I also got a hitch from the junkyard for less than $20, to use as a rear tow point. For now it's installed the normal way, but i want to try and get it between the frame rails and poking out through the middle step in the rear bumper, like sparkyxplorer (think that's his name) did. I still need to reinstall the tow hooks on the front.

At the offroad expo i picked up an oval LED amber light and cut it into the rear bumper, but still have to wire it up for truckhaven. I also want to install the fiberglass fenders i got off craigslist just temporarily until i decide to sell them. I just want to see what they look like. The last immediate thing i want to get done are the traction bars and try extending them just a tiny bit, but that probably wont happen before truckhaven.

One problem my truck currently has is a malfunctioning tach. Half the time it just sits at 0, but sometimes will spring back up to the correct position. The way the truck runs hasn't changed at all, so i guess it's not a big deal. Opinions?

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
i think youll like the way the fenders look and probably just keep them on.
Haha, with stock suspension they'll probably look ridiculous, they're pretty big. And i can sell them on DR or RDC for a LOT more than i got them for.

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Sold the fiberglass fenders a couple of days ago and used some of that money to pick up some used aluminum wheels. The two reasons i chose to change wheels are 1) i've had the black ones for 5+ years and was ready for a change, and 2) the aluminum wheels are much lighter than the steel wheels. I was told they are American Racing Outlaw IIs, but judging by the offset they might be stock early 90s ranger wheels. I also saw some stock ranger center caps in the guy's truck when i got the wheels from him, but he was also telling me he had ANOTHER set of stock ranger wheels, which they might have belonged to.

Anyway, i'm really torn between the black steels and the aluminum wheels. I know it's a little hard to tell at night, but i couldn't resist taking some pictures anyway. On one hand, i really like how it looks from the side, but at an angle or from front and back, i think they have too small an offset. They definitely sit further in than my old wheels. These are also 15x7 whereas my black wheels are 15x8. The new wheels also make my tires look smaller...maybe time for 33s.

Tell me what you think.

P1020287.jpg

P1020291.jpg

P1020289.jpg

P1020290.jpg

P1020292.jpg

P1020293.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
It is tough to tell the difference between the outlaws and old ford wheels. I like them better than the black wheels though. Personal preference of course, but I like the AR 5 stars better than the outlaws. :)

It looks good!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mounty71 Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer Elite Explorer Registry 125
GingeRed11 95' Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 Elite Explorer Registry 31
R 92 beater 4x4 Elite Explorer Registry 42
EMBRACETHEHATE89 my 93 limited 4x4 5speed Elite Explorer Registry 47
W Willcall's 2010 XLT V6 4x4- 'Black Betty' Elite Explorer Registry 4
A The Cage (My '92 Ex 4x4 project) Elite Explorer Registry 0
thepotroast I'm back with my 2nd Ex.... 03 EB 4x4 Elite Explorer Registry 16
wheelin'explorer Tyler's '03 4x4 wheelchair Elite Explorer Registry 21
Teejay4490 TeeJays 2002 XLT 4x4 Exploder Elite Explorer Registry 17
Steeda04SVT David's 1997 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4x4 Elite Explorer Registry 15