Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer

After saying goodbye to my 1992 Explorer in 2004, i've always wanted to get another 1st gen. Yesterday it actually happened when i took ownership of The Black Goblin, a 1991 Explorer 4x4. :D IT currently has less than 88,000 miles on the odometer, with the original engine and a replaced/rebuilt auto trans.

Here's a list of the modifications that I know of:

I believe it's a 4" rough country lift, with upper shock mount from '78 bronco and limit straps
the rear consists of add-a-leaf and autozone lift shackles
32" mud tires
15" American Racing 8 hole wheels
4:56 gears w/ factory rear trac-lock
open-air filter not currently installed
cherrybomb turbo muffler
big red front bumper and skidplate with 4 light mounts (Sold)
billet grill
aftermarket headunit and 2 subs inbox (subs gone)
center console from 92-94 explorer
CB radio under dash
hi-lift jack

Also, James, the previous owner, has gone through the vehicle and replaced just about every accessory in the engine bay.

COMING SOON:
35" M/Ts
locker (powertrax no-slip in the rear)
new front tube bumper and skidplate
electric driver seat

COMING LATER:
manual hubs
rear bumper w/ tire carrier
fiberglass front fenders (maybe)
deaver leaf springs
BTF cut and turned beams
KMC Enduro wheels
clear corners
...and one day, painted to match my green mountaineer

Here are some pictures the day after i brought it home.

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01046.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh i remember you asking about removing the stripe. when i got my white explorer, i took it to get detailed and told them to take off the red/orenge stripe below the window. best thing i ever did to it :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wait did i miss something? Is that Black Goblin's X?

LOL so is the Goblin Glamis ready Matt?

I'm gonna register it tomorrow and get the inspection done for insurance, and it'll be as ready as it's gonna get! I was hoping to get tires before the weekend, or at least on the way back from it, but looks like that wont happen. The question is...are YOU ready? :)

pffft i am always ready. Just alittle cash poor right now but I am working in it.;)

think its a cherry bomb exhaust? if i remember right. don't forget it also has little blue lights on the bumper :)

you don't like the wheels on it?

Ya, it's a cherry bomb, but it wont be on there for long. Haha, it's hanging on by a nylon string now, and i think somewhere there's a leak because it's really loud and makes a popping sound.

These wheels are fine, but if i ever had the money to get something else i would. Every other truck out there has these wheels, i like having something unique.

Well after this weekend at glamis, i've found out what needs replacing.

5 tires (33s or 35s, can't decide now)
muffler
rear view mirror
transfer case shift motor
left front shock (?)
bearings or pinion bearing (?) - it makes a high pitched noise i think from the front end

also, the left coil bucket (and right side as well) needs some reinforcement, as they are bent upwards a little bit. I guess an engine brace and air bump stops wouldn't hurt, but that's not in my budget right now :rolleyes:.

Oh ya, and the speedo is WAAAY off. On my way home, i was in cruise control and the gauge said i was doing over 90 (the needle was pointed at the 2 in the gear selector), and Boomer's GPS told me i was only doing 73, lol.

Colin, did you have 4:56s in your gray explorer? And was it an auto? How did everything work with 35s? Gas mileage?

Yeah, the old one was 35s with 4.56s and auto, but it didn't run very well. I was only getting about 10-11mpgs in it. My current explorer was getting over 14mpg with the 35s to truck haven and back. That is the closest you'll get to stock gearing ratio.

Do you have an idea why there was such a difference between your old one and the current one? By not running well, do you mean the powertrain was problematic? I would have thought the old one would be better being smaller. My explorer is a little disappointing in the gas mileage area. That and the weak auto trans. are what turn me away from 35s.

...froader, you got over sixteen mpg last time you went to pismo...:D

i got 17 on a curvy hilly road with the navajo

i must be missing something

Using that Georgia overdrive?;)

...lol, i knew you were going to have to explain that...just don't mention an oklahoma credit card...:p:

Back