Mutineer's SAS thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mutineer's SAS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some Soldeirs at the ATC Maintainer 94D Schoolhouse that have some problems with their equipment, Ive been called in to assist.

I should be back Friday, By then I hope to have my tubing and joints in so I can get teh steering built.

Be back on tonight

Daniel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my steering parts today, everything but the tubing.

I got it all sitting in the garage, but I had to do some fencing work when I got home.

Hopefully Ill get into the garage this week and get things ready for the teardown.

Anyone know the best place to get a set of 5:13s for my rear Dana 60?

I think it came out of a 99 Ford E-350.

I been looking at Randy's Ring and Pinion...

Daniel

Where are you going to mount your new steering box? does it fit onto your stock steering shaft?

Where are you going to mount your new steering box? does it fit onto your stock steering shaft?

First question: on the outside of the frame towards the front of the wheel well. I havent done any measuring yet so thats tentative for now.

Second Question: No I will have to fab up something to make it work, I will prolly use a couple of U-joints and a custom shaft.

Daniel

Got my steering parts today, everything but the tubing.

I got it all sitting in the garage, but I had to do some fencing work when I got home.

Hopefully Ill get into the garage this week and get things ready for the teardown.

Anyone know the best place to get a set of 5:13s for my rear Dana 60?

I think it came out of a 99 Ford E-350.

I been looking at Randy's Ring and Pinion...

Daniel

Best place ive ever found for gears was a vendor by the name of machinewave on pirate 4x4, his prices were much lower than anyone else. Awesome customer service, ect.

Also, alloy shafts will not hold 44's on a 44. And probably will go boom with anything bigger than 38.5's (ask 95exploderboy about his brand new alloy shafts)

Im running waggy leafs and im very happy with them, but ones with a 2" lift to them would not be a bad idea.

Best place ive ever found for gears was a vendor by the name of machinewave on pirate 4x4, his prices were much lower than anyone else. Awesome customer service, ect.

Thanks! Ill check him out.

Also, alloy shafts will not hold 44's on a 44. And probably will go boom with anything bigger than 38.5's (ask 95exploderboy about his brand new alloy shafts)

Im looking at running 37s right now, I dont think with this truck Ill go bigger than 38's, so this Axle should work, right? do you think 5:13 will be too low? I think itll give me a good crawl ratio.

Im running waggy leafs and im very happy with them, but ones with a 2" lift to them would not be a bad idea.

I got the kit with 3" of lift, and their beefed up a bit so the V8 weight should be OK. I just want reliability, it doesnt have to be the flexiest thing around.

Thanks Sn0wboarder88

Daniel

Im running 5.13's and id like it to be lower, im planning on making a doubler this summer.

Got some Soldeirs at the ATC Maintainer 94D Schoolhouse that have some problems with their equipment, Ive been called in to assist.

I should be back Friday, By then I hope to have my tubing and joints in so I can get teh steering built.

Be back on tonight

Daniel

I live about 5 miles away from Ft. Gordon, I like that it's an 'open base'. I'm non-military, so whenever I want to bowl, I go on base... lol. Never a line.

I was surprised... I had my CAC, rental agreement, and insurance out ready to have my rental car be inspected...lol

It was a welcome surprise. I wish I'd have known, we could have bowled a few games and had a few.

Ill let you know when Im headed back that way.

Daniel

Im running 5.13's and id like it to be lower, im planning on making a doubler this summer.

What size tires are you running? Im planning on 38's.... but might have to start off with 35's...given budget restraints...

And youre wanting to go lower? Having not run gears lower than 4:88 before, I am curious...

My 4:88's turned 44s GREAT. Will 5:13s give me a good crawl ratio with 38s? I think so. I dont do alot of rock crawling, but I need to be able to go over some off camber hills and stuff and be able to crawl up over mild to moderate sized rocks...

Having leaf sprung suspension You can tell im not a rock crawler... more an all-around dependable trail rig.

Daniel

I have 5.13s and I wish the ratio was lower (numerically higher).

And whether a vehicle has leaf springs, coil springs or what have you is independent of what type of terrain it takes on. PLEEENTY of people out there that rock crawl the heck out of their leaf sprung vehicle.

I have 5.13s and I wish the ratio was lower (numerically higher).

And whether a vehicle has leaf springs, coil springs or what have you is independent of what type of terrain it takes on. PLEEENTY of people out there that rock crawl the heck out of their leaf sprung vehicle.

Yeah I aint skeerd, whatever it is Ill take it on, but rock crawling would sure be easier with a setup like yours than the leaves im using... :D

Daniel

Psh, leafs work fine for rocks. :D

Lower is better for rocks, im plannin on doing a doubler this summer instead of gearing the axles lower.

OK Im back for a week and then Im off to Massechussetts (sp?) for a week.

This is kindof a pointless post but I thought Id let Yall know I didnt fall off the face of the earth.

For those of you watching this thread, Thanks for your patience.

Daniel:salute:

Finally started it!

Hey Yall I finally got to start the SAS.

I've only gotten to grind down the Driver's side, and I accidentally cut the EVAP line. No big deal though. Yall know how tight it is in there, Not much of a way to avoid alittle collateral damage.

Here are some pics: Enjoy!

Attachments

• 100_1714.JPG
    100_1714.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 100_1715.JPG
    100_1715.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 615
  • 100_1716.JPG
    100_1716.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 615
  • 100_1717.JPG
    100_1717.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 621

Here are a few of the parts I took off. All are in good order except for the shocks and Pass side CV axle. the shafts are good but needs to be rebuilt. Anyone needs some stock front end parts for a 1998 let me know.

Attachments

• 100_1718.JPG
    100_1718.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 638
  • 100_1720.JPG
    100_1720.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 639
  • 100_1721.JPG
    100_1721.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 625

Ouuuuu the fun has begun :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yeah that is what im talking about. the sparks are flying now... im workin on my 95 2wd conversion. i rolled the vehicle a year ago and finally in a position to start the tear down. stoked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back