Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford) | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford)

I saw a very complete 2001 v8 at the Pull a Part last month. I was tempted to yank that engine out. Scary part, it was in such good shape, it must have been an engine problem that brought it there.

The Ranger will be fun. I had a couple of 5.0 Rangers I had swapped.

Which PaP was that you saw the nice 2001 302?

I still need to get a couple of wiring harnesses, one from 99-01 and one 97.5 set. I'd like to have another pair of GT40 heads too, the only ones I have are a friend's 95 Cobra heads. People value those a little more for the original part number for a Cobra.

I like those wheels too, I had two sets of them as take offs many years ago. Those Sport Trac wheels won't fit over my big custom brakes(12.75" rotors), so I sold the one set I had snow tires on.

This is from the Winter before I did the custom brakes;

PICT1390.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My own quick update. Found a junkyard about 50 miles from me that had a recent 99 5.0 AWD explorer come in. Got the PCM, PATS and steering column (they don't sell just the tumblers, keys and pats ring all for $105. Picking everything up tomorrow. Saturday is supposed to be 50 so good day to swap things out.

well heck yeah!

Sounds good. Good luck.

Well, I lost my only key to my 2007 Sport Trac today. Hope I find it, or I will be dealing with getting keys made and computers programmed. It's like I got jinxed for stating how nice my 96 ecu was. : )

I only have 1 key to each of my 3 Fords. I had all 3 at work one day and a local locksmith was supposed to come cut and program a spare for each but never showed. 2 of the 3 have the buttons above the door handle and I have the codes so I can at least get in if I lock the keys in.

I only have 1 key to each of my 3 Fords. I had all 3 at work one day and a local locksmith was supposed to come cut and program a spare for each but never showed. 2 of the 3 have the buttons above the door handle and I have the codes so I can at least get in if I lock the keys in.
I have a spare remote somewhere. At least the truck is unlocked right now. I gave one of my remotes to my son for his Focus and it still opens my doors too. I have 3 sets of keys for my 1978 Mustang. hahahaha Figures. I guess I will do some calling around on Monday.

Good luck with that key deal. I lost my 91 Lincoln key a year or so back, and couldn't find my spare. So I had to move the car two months ago, off of the street. I ended up cutting the column, into the key cylinder, with a sawzall. Those Lincolns had tougher columns, I had read a screwdriver could be used outside of the cylinder, to break the pin off which holds it in. This column was well made and very thick, that didn't happen. I ended up with the cylinder out, and barely could get a small screw driver to rotate the ignition switch.

So get your keys in order, have spares stored away some place you can get to easily. I have manila folders for each car, but evidently I removed some keys and they never were put back.

We looked all night and actually found the key!! It ended up in one of my toolbox drawers, likely when I was cleaning up after fixing my son's bass. So, this week I will see about making another one or two and having them added to the PATS. I'll call a locksmith and the dealer to compare prices.

Cool, good luck with finding the key. I need to get out there soon, for my dad's Cadillac and some 302 Explorer wiring etc.

So I swapped out the computer, pats and ignition halo. Still no success but new problems.
The plug from the halo is different. Instead of the red, green, white and blue I now have green/white, grey/orange, green/white and black/yellow.
No flashing theft light and nada from the ignition.
The interesting thing is colors match up now with the electrical connector but I'm sure I have a wire crossed.
On the original connector from the halo came the red/white, blue, green which turned into green/white, grey-tan/orange, black/white, and red/green. I was also waiting for the wire connectors from Amazon to integrate the PATS wires to the ignition.
IMG-2676.JPG
IMG-2674.JPG

Also since I have a spare computer I'm going to send my previous/old one that doesn't have a matching halo and get it flashed.

Thoughts.

You could put a 96 or 97 computer in that doesn't need PATS. At least you could drive it, mine didn't run the best on the wrong computer but did run.

you are feeding the new pats module and the truck from the halo correct?
Try feeding ONLY the new pats module, do not send any halo wires to the truck

Well I'm back. Pin 38.

That is the only thing I can think of that this isn't working. I send my computer off to remove pats and I still don't even get the fuel pump to turn on. So I went back re-reading everything I could and this was the one that I found that doesn't match up.

Pin 38
C110 - RD/WH - 463 - NSS signal from DTRS to truck (gem module, 4x4 system)
C115 - YE/WH - 357 - throttle pos input. - EMPTY on my truck, book says there is a wire, on a 5.0 there is not.
So pin 38 is the neutral safety feed on the truck side of things. If you are using a electronic shift transfer case you will NEED TO ADD THIS WIRE. Run a wire from the 5.0 DTRS to pin 38 on C115. our sport trac is AWD

Reading around it seems this is the Digital Transmission Range Sensor. So it appears I need to match this up from the different transmission? or someplace else.

Insights where I pull this from? Also would this prevent the fuel pump from engaging?

My 5.0 as well had no pin 38 on the computer side.

The Sport Trac never had AWD, it was Automatic4WD only(A4WD), it has a shift motor. AWD's do not have a shift motor.

Correct.
But the donor was AWD. 98 5.0 Explorer
Gotcha, I forgot the details of the thread yesterday with your last post. You are finishing the last wiring changes to make the swap work, those are important details to figure out. Well done.

Back