painting the wheels??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

painting the wheels???

C3186wheel.jpg

so basically my idea to paint the inside part that i circled black and then the center cap black also. thoughts?? anyone done this?? seems like it might look pretty cool. i would photoshop it to see what it looks like but i dont have a copy of photoshop that works right now. if anyone doesnt mind doing it id greatly appreciate it otherwise just tell me what you think good or bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that would look VERY cool :cool:

Some of the 96-97 Mountaineers had wheels very similar to this paint scheme.

From eBay:

b108_3.jpg

b2ac_12.jpg

Note also the black accenting the Mercury symbol in the center caps.

Definitly think it would look good. Make sure you take your time on the prep though. Make sure you really, really, really clean the hell out of those wheels before you spray anything. All the chemicals used to clean and make wheels and tires look nice, also have a tendancy to make paint not want to stick. I would rub them down with some solvent and make sure they are good and dry before you try anything. Also, use good quality tape, otherwise the paint will bleed through the tape and you dont want that. Good luck, should look awesome if you decide to do it. Show some pictures of the finished product.

Well i think im gonna do it. now i just need to find some time and find a good day to do it. its starting to real cold around here so it sucks to work outside. if i cant get it done soon it might have to wait till spring :(

paint has a tendency to not stick to aluminum. I think you can still purchase zinc chromate primer in spray cans. this is the trick to get paint to stick to aluminum (from my old cropdusting days...lol).

I worked in the auto parts field in the 60's and we sold a lot of this primer to people with small planes w/aluminum skins. without proper prep, the paint will just flake off when a rock hits it...

...jjf

I think it would look cool, but would probably be a b*tch to tape off. I also agree, would defiantly depend on the color of the truck.

Now there's a great idea! [I'm still thinking of what I can have powdercoated... :D )

Now there's a great idea! [I'm still thinking of what I can have powdercoated... :D )

Speaking of powdercoating, at the rate Jon is going ever member here will have something powdercoated on their truck.

Better think up something quick so you can be in the club!

That actually looks really cool :thumbsup:

Got me thinking now... I have the deer hooves so i'd have to find a set of the teardrops, and then send then to Jon :D

Back