Project Lazyboy SAS... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But it looks so nice and clean :( can't you get an already non-shiny one for like super cheap? haha just kidding, but it's gonna hurt to watch this turn into an offroader when it already looks like a nice street truck.... doesn't mean I won't watch, haha :popcorn:

But it looks so nice and clean :( can't you get an already non-shiny one for like super cheap? haha just kidding, but it's gonna hurt to watch this turn into an offroader when it already looks like a nice street truck.... doesn't mean I won't watch, haha :popcorn:

LOL the wife wrecked it a couple years ago so it isn't as nice as that angle shows. Plus it needs some TLC that I will address when I do the swap. Insurance wrote use a check for 7k almost totaled the truck. Only paid 10k for when we bought it since it had an engine on the way out(I replaced the engine 3 years ago motor only have 60k on it now). It was her DD for 4 years so I feel like I am doing the truck a favor. Plus it will be awesome when I am done. Only rock crawler Aviator I know of. LOL:eek:

Haha so you were just showin off with that one angle... I see. Well, it sounds like a sweet plan. I haven't seen many people on here with the Lincolns and I've always been curious to see if anyone on here actually does mess with them, so glad that you're gonna do that! And rock crawlers are always sweet.

I'm hoping this one actually gets finished, and considering you've done 3 (is that correct?) SASes in the past year or so and have wheeled them all, I think it's pretty promising! There have been many people saying the want to do a double SAS on these trucks and no one has ever completed it unfortunately. I'm looking forward to this build!

How are you planning to match the front and rear bolt patterns? The 9.75 is 5x135mm isn't it?

Awesome project name. Looking forward to seeing this done. There is a 3rd gen somewhere on here that is SASed, but we never saw any progress shots.

I need to change careers or something, you got a lot of scratch! :thumbsup:

I'm hoping this one actually gets finished, and considering you've done 3 (is that correct?) SASes in the past year or so and have wheeled them all, I think it's pretty promising!

my thoughts exactly!

Oh man, your builds get better and better.. Can't wait to see it mow down some rocks.

Actually 4 SAS Fords to date didn't even post pics of the last one I did(2wd Ranger we threw 1st gen Bronco axles under it). Only pic in my cell that I could find that is why it is from the good side. LOL Trust me there will be more pics when the time come. I can't wait to start. My wife wants me to thin the heard before I start to build it. So I will be selling the Rock Ranger, our 02 Wrangler, and maybe my Super Duty. Already showed the Wrangler to two people and talk about wanting to punch someone, not sure why people think it is ok to touch everything and yank on crap. One dude I went for a test drive with him he had the TJ up to 90 mph then was trying to lock up the brakes, I am thinking WTF then he didn't even buy it. I will be happy when that is sold I don't know how many more people I can handle looking at it.

As far as bolt pattern, going to have rear axle shafts redrilled to 5x5.5 and redrill the rotor myself.

Subscribing! This thing is going to be awesome, what is the net lift and tire size you're aiming for?

Subscribing! This thing is going to be awesome, what is the net lift and tire size you're aiming for?

Shooting for 37s and around 7 inches. I want to be able to tow my car trailer with the beast when I am done. It does good now pulling since the Aviator came stock with an almost 8000lbs towing capacity. That is why I plan on going leaf spring rear with 3/4 ton Chevy springs. With the 9.75 out back should put the tow rating up closer to 10k since we know the engine and tranny are already up to the task. :D

Thank god someone that really knows what they are doing is really going to pull this off. I don't plan on using my 3rd gen as a DD forever and would rather be able to turn it into a real trail rig at some point than have to buy something else.

Can't wait to see the start! Good Luck!

I have the axles actually had them for week now. Just picked them up cause they were there at the pull yard and figured if I didn't use them I can always sell them.

The 9.75 is roughly 66.5" WMS to WMS
78 F150 HP D44 I picked up is roughly 65.75" WMS to WMS.
So I would say these axles are close enough for me. 3/8" of inch on each side will hardly be noticeable.

Here is pic of 9.75 5.13 Yukon gears next to set of 8.8 4.88 Yukon gears.
20120814_174746.jpg

As you can see the 9.75 gears a slightly bigger. LOL From what I have been reading the 9.75 has the same amount of teeth as the 8.8 on the ABS tone ring should make it easy to make the speedo work since my programmer does tire size and gear ratio.

Going to order a set of 5x135mm to 5x5.5 wheel spacers to use as jig to try and drill the shafts on my drill press. If it works great saves me time and money going to the machine shop if not then I can always pick up another set of shafts cheap at the JY.

Oh, man this is going to be nice. Hopefully I'll get to see this thing in person.

Your builds just keep getting better. This is just over the top--:D

Oh, man this is going to be nice. Hopefully I'll get to see this thing in person.

Your builds just keep getting better. This is just over the top--:D

Yeah I am pretty excited just not sure if I will have started yet when you get here. LOL Whole time we were at the dealer signing paper work for the F150 the wheels were turning in my head after my wife says the Aviator is yours. LOL The house we like just went back on the market so I might be scrambling to finish our house to get it on the market(I am super close to being done). Everything in our neighborhood has been selling fast since our school district was just ranked #1 in the Denver metro.

Decided on Rancho Coilovers. Being adjustable and not needing nitrogen to adjust is making them very appealing. Plus the fact that I already own the My Ride adjuster I can adjust the coilovers on the fly. About 15 inches of travel. Also I found them for less then $400 shipped per side with both Eibach coils included pretty great deal. Going with 250lbs/350lbs coils.

http://gorancho.com/shocks.php?shock=proseries_coilover

Been a week, you've gotta be done already..

Still been hunting for parts. Wife wants me to wait until the Jeep sells. LOL
I have
91 Mustang GT
92 Ranger (Double R)
98 Montaineer (Merc)
99 Super Duty
02 Wrangler
03 Aviator
12 F150
Plus a flatbed car trailer and 20' enclose race car trailer.

LOL no one needs 7 vehicles. The biggest problem is I don't have room where I live so 3 of them are in outdoor storage with my trailers until we move. Depending on what happens in next couple weeks you might see some action soon. I hope the Jeep sells soon.

But think I decided on wheels might have found some used 37s for it too.
Liking these I can get them off ebay for just over 600 shipped for 4x 17x9 5x5.5 pattern. I don't wanna spend a ton cause first time I hit a rock I will cry if I spend big bucks. :D
41DEfKmZJzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guess I couldn't resist Ballistic had 20% off this weekend so I ordered all the rod ends, bushing, brackets, and heim steering too good of a deal to pass up.

Put the Lincoln to work today it helped me save a Jeep...

20120902_073747.jpg

Back