Project Vulture | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vulture

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it's been a long time coming, but after owning The Vulture for almost 7 years, her brakes are finally worn down enough to warrant replacement.

Power Stop K1855-36 is on the shopping list, just waiting for my tax return now.

Also somewhere in the endgame plan is a steel front bumper. The idea is to take a Westin TrailBlazer (specifically, 42-2005) and have the brackets reworked to properly mount on my Ex. I've seen one other EF user succeed at this, although I've lost his username; the width seems perfect on his, but I can't confirm the actual dimensions. I'll have to figure out what to do with the fog lights, but all of this will come in its time. If anybody has any recommendations on bumpers, I'm all ears, but Westin comes highly recommended by the locals.

Which can be customized as you want, before paint.

Customizing a pre made bumper means stripping powdercoat to get as good finish.

@Rick Thanks! I believe that I've seen it. Somewhat more or less like this one, right?

That's an outstanding design, but I'm looking for more of a baja-style bumper, something lightweight, like Josh C., Lefy, Mounty71, and particularly PAExplorer had. I have pics, but essentially they all look like the Westin TrailBlazer (with or without stingers of various sizes - I don't need a stinger, but mounting lights behind it would protect them).

I'm thinking to integrate the front trailer hitch receiver into the final bumper design, welding a couple of tubes between the bumper and the receiver for extra support. If anybody has any reasons that this isn't a good idea (convenience of removal notwithstanding), hit me with 'em. It might end up being cheaper to have a full custom job than it would be to modify the Westin. I'm not in a hurry to get this done.

Back