PTU Problems | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've had bad luck and practically live at my dealer as well. My visit is on average every 3,400km. I have 96,000km and going on $13,000 in repairs. 4 big repairs were $2000 ea, Also 2 separate body shop jobs to repair premature rust on the inside of the doors (which the paint is bubbling and coming back), and a bunch of other little **** as well. Currently needs a steering rack ($2500CDN, w/taxes). I just ordered last week the new 2018 Chevy Traverse. (leasing it in case it has issue, then I can walk away from it.) The Chev dealer pulled up my carproof report preparing for the trade in, and there a 28 entries for service...and they're not all oil changes!/QUOTE]

I rented a 17 Traverse at PHX and I was amazed how nicely done they were. Not a huge fan of the exterior styling but Chevrolet has done a good job improving it. The Chevrolet MyLink system is so far ahead of SYNC3 it's embarrassing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, now I am "high and dry".
The dealer will not do anymore work on it unless I shell out cash for their work. They said that because there are no error codes, it is not a warranty issue. This has been goin on for 5 months, 3 different Ford dealers, and I don't know where to turn to next to fix the issue.
I have never spent so much money on a vehicle or have been treated so terribly. It's frustrating and disappointing. I've always owned Fords. After this one, I don't know what I'll do.

Well, now I am "high and dry".
The dealer will not do anymore work on it unless I shell out cash for their work. They said that because there are no error codes, it is not a warranty issue. This has been goin on for 5 months, 3 different Ford dealers, and I don't know where to turn to next to fix the issue.
I have never spent so much money on a vehicle or have been treated so terribly. It's frustrating and disappointing. I've always owned Fords. After this one, I don't know what I'll do.

Check out this thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/highway-shudder.460251/

Thank you so much!! That is EXACTLY what i am experiencing - as described in the thread about highway shudder.

I was just in to have my power steering fixed under recall and they mentioned my PTU is leaking. And it would cost over $2000.00 to fix. Does this sound right? Should I get a second opinion? Thx

Ptu is about $700. I believe with labor you are around $1,200.

I was just in to have my power steering fixed under recall and they mentioned my PTU is leaking. And it would cost over $2000.00 to fix. Does this sound right? Should I get a second opinion? Thx
We had to have PTU replaced a couple months ago. It was leaking and Ford dealer said it had to be replaced. I had noticed the leak myself a couple months before that. Had about 2 months left on aftermarket warranty. After our $100 deductible the warranty paid remainder of $1350. So I think any more than $1500 is too much. The PTU installed is supposed to Ford's updated, better PTU. Good luck.

crrobbins

Yes, the new PTU is 8x more durable then the original ones.

Yes, the new PTU is 8x more durable then the original ones.
That is good to know. Plans are to keep ours at least a couple more years. Other than PTU and fuel module recall it has been an excellent vehicle. Love it.

crrobbins

After reading the info about the PTU, I took the time to suction and refill with new fluid. The old fluid was nasty. I am hoping it was changed in time to avoid issues. I will probably change it one more time soon to ensure its cleaned out, then change every 20 to 30k intervals. Our Ex is a 2013 XLT with 65k on the odometer. We just bought it used.

brought my 2015 explorer into Northway Ford for a service/inspection. 3 days later i look under it and the PTU is soaked in oil, i asked why it wasnt addressed or even reported on their check sheet, the service adviser said "hhhmmmm he must have missed it" so book it in to replace the seal, 1500km later and its leaking again they replaced the PTU this time , but didnt secure the lower air duct or wiring around it... Ford Quality. only 28 times in the shop in 54,000KM

Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
Sounds like you need to find another dealer.

Peter

Does anyone have the part number for this updated PTU applicable to police vehicles? I have a PI Sedan and utility, the sedan needs a new PTU desperately, and the Utility I'll change just to be safe.

I only have 2800 miles on the Ex. Found an oil spot on the ground in the garage and took it in. Ford said its a PTU seal leak. It's about a two to three hour job. They got the part for me in one day, taking it in next week!
Has anyone had a PTU seal leak yet?
I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport and I heard a couple of knocks here and there, usually when I was in reverse, I chalked it up to older types of 4x4 cars when you turn the wheel hard while backing up it would bind the gears. The next thing I started smelling some sort of liquid dripping on the exhaust and my car crapped out on me. I have 16k miles on it and basically it was the PTU that failed and blew a hole in the side of the unit. Very disappointed because I really love this car, I haven't had a problem with a car for years. It took the dealership from Sunday to today before they got the car up in the air to tell me what the problem was and it's going to be fixed but it looks like it's an issue in other models, there's even a class action lawsuit against ford about this on the same year but different models. I'm hoping it's not going to persist because I love this car, but I hate driving a rental more and don't have time in my days to deal with broken down cars that's why I buy new with the extended warranty. If it happens a couple more times I'm going to go after the lemon law and get myself a Toyota 4 runner because a. the service departments are way more proactive, b. I've had lexus up until this Ford Explorer I wanted more room and an all wheel car, c. Toyota's run for ever, you just have to change the oil and top off the fluids and you'll get a couple hundred thousand miles out of it at least. Might even just look into the Audi SUV's A5 or something, I like this because I don't mind if it get's dinged up but I'm not buying new to have problems with my car constantly.
http://gotaclassaction.com/15796-2/

The 'Class Action' does not include the Explorer. The PTU in the Explorer has been updated. It is always possible for any new part to fail. That's one reason they have warranties. It just happens to be upsetting when it's your vehicle that has the failure. According to post #211 the Sport has a water cooled PTU.
Based on my experience, the only difference in the Ford and Toyota service departments where I've been a customer for 7 and 8 years respectively, is that Ford doesn't serve coffee and pastries, just coffee.:)

Peter

My 2016 Explorer Platinum PTU exploded (literally exploded according to the dealer) while going about 65-70 mph. It also is a cooled unit. This happened on 4/1/17, and it is now nearly 6 months later, and I am still having issues. The car "bucks" or hesitates in 6th gear at low RPMS (around 2000 rpms or less) when it takes on a bit of a load, as in starting up a hill, or pressing slightly on the gas pedal. Not to mention that horrible smell that still lingers, especially on rainy days.
The dealer told me there is nothing they can do if there is no error code. I had the engine light come on yesterday, grabbed the code (P0157), called the dealer, and then the light went off. They told me again that if there is no active code, there's nothing they can do. It's just so frustrating. 10 repair visits and still dealing with this.

Kurt, that code should still be stored in the computer's history and the dealer should be able to retrieve it. That code is for post cat efficiency lean bank 2. However this doesn't usually effect drivability. But maybe there are other codes stored just not setting a CEL yet. Good luck.

Whimsey

Mazda is taking care of their customers. They value their business, and have integrity. Mazda has sourced their components from Ford on some models of their CX-9, including a transfer case (PTU) manufactured by FoMoCo.

Mazda has extended their warranty repair for 7 years/90,000 miles for the PTU. The one without a drainplug. The one without recommended service intervals.

17.5 ounces of fluid in a transfer case, without a drain plug? Next to the catalytic converter/exhaust system? Mazda has likely examined the problem objectively and has opted to take care of their customers. This way, they are likely to be return customers. If they had not, then they would have likely lost a customer forever.

They are correct.

Mazda Motor Company has decided to conduct a Special Service Program (SSP) to extend the warranty coverage for the repair of the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) on certain 2010-2014 CX-9 all-wheel drive vehicles produced from July 28, 2009 through December 2, 2013.

The warranty coverage for applicable repair is extended to 7 years (84 months) from the original warranty start date or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first.

What is the problem?
On some vehicles, when driving under high load or at high speeds, increased oil temperature inside the transfer unit may result in poor lubrication. Continued driving under these conditions may result in abnormal noise and transfer unit damage, and may cause PTU oil leakage. The warranty extension applies only to this condition.

My 2015 PIU has the Enhanced PTU cooler (recommended for EVOC training; continuous/extended track usage) option. Does anyone else have this on their PIU and if so, have you had any PTU issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the part number of this advanced cooler ?

Back