Rearview Camera Problems | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you can't find any from Ford they may have some generic retaining clips at the auto parts store. If I recall correctly the trim is also held on with bolts so it probably wouldn't take anything super strong... Probably cheaper that way anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:
OEM replacement cameras are running about $300-400. Dorman is offering replacement camera for ~$100.
I found them on both Amazon and RockAuto. They have different part numbers to match the different years/wiring harnesses.
For my 2011 Ex Limited the part number was #590-420.
Dropped it in and it works reliably.

Moving backup lines stopped working, but that is a known issue that can be corrected by recalibrating with Forescan.
(I won't be doing that, as we traded in the Explorer last night..)

Thanks for the reply Peter. I was able to get my hands on a wireless OBD scanner. I downloaded FORScan and performed the rear camera calibration. I get about 8% through the calibration when the test aborts and says to scan for DTC's. The only one that shows up is a B115E:08-48 error, but is says it's not an active fault. I'm able to reset it and the only time it comes back is when I try to run the calibration routine. Anyone have any experience with this error? The new camera works..when i put the vehicle in reverse, I see an image, although it is upside down and reversed, but an image nonetheless. I tried putting the old camera back in but I immediately get a DTC saying electrical error. It goes away with the new camera.
I have the same exact issue, anyone have a fix please let us know, thanks brent

I had a similar issue with my 2012 Explorer Limited, build date 8/11.

There are 2 different part numbers. EB5Z-19G490-A which is for the 2013-15 Explorers. It has different guidelines but is not compatible with the Park Assist Module on the 2011-12, which provides the colored visuals when you reverse.

Trust me I know.

There is also BB5Z-19G490-A. That part is only compatible with the 2011-12.

Im a big believer in junkyard parts. I sourced the EXPLORER trim from a junkyard with camera. It was a shot in the dark that it would work. It did but didn’t. It was out of a 2015. The guidelines worked, but no colored visuals.

In FORScan, you gotta clear out all the old DTC’s before running the module calibration.

Otherwise all the cheapo stuff is just Chinese knock off’s. Maybe hit or miss. Oddly the OEM Camera said “Hencho en China” on it.

There are 2 different part numbers. EB5Z-19G490-A which is for the 2013-15 Explorers. It has different guidelines but is not compatible with the Park Assist Module on the 2011-12, which provides the colored visuals when you reverse.

Trust me I know.

Im a big believer in junkyard parts. I sourced the EXPLORER trim from a junkyard with camera. It was a shot in the dark that it would work. It did but didn’t. It was out of a 2015. The guidelines worked, but no colored visuals.

In FORScan, you gotta clear out all the old DTC’s before running the module calibration.

Otherwise all the cheapo stuff is just Chinese knock off’s. Maybe hit or miss. Oddly the OEM Camera said “Hencho en China” on it.
Ok thx I’ll try clearing those DTC codes and try recalibration fit again

Ok thx I’ll try clearing those DTC codes and try recalibration fit again
Welcome to the Forum Brent. :wave:
Home of the Shannonville Speedway!

Peter

This is my first time posting on this forum, but my backup camera on my 2014 Ford Explorer finally failed with the message "Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership.". Originally I had made an appointment at the Ford dealership, but they are requiring a 24 hour diagnostic to figure out the problem with my failed backup camera. I ended up cancelling the service appointment.

I watched several videos on YouTube suggesting the ground wire was the cause for the failed camera. One video claimed that the thin black wire with the grey/white stripe (wire on right hand side of wires) had to spliced to the new ground. Can anyone tell me if the black wire with the grey/white stripe is really the correct wire for the ground?

Has anyone successfully got their camera working by attaching it to the new ground on the hatch?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

TonyD2

2014 Explorer Backup Camera Black-Grey Stripe Ground Wire_Noted.jpg

Splicing Black-Grey Stripe Wire to Ground_Noted.jpg

2014 Explorer Ground Connector_Noted.jpg

This is my first time posting on this forum, but my backup camera on my 2014 Ford Explorer finally failed with the message "Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership.". Originally I had made an appointment at the Ford dealership, but they are requiring a 24 hour diagnostic to figure out the problem with my failed backup camera. I ended up cancelling the service appointment.

I watched several videos on YouTube suggesting the ground wire was the cause for the failed camera. One video claimed that the thin black wire with the grey/white stripe (wire on right hand side of wires) had to spliced to the new ground. Can anyone tell me if the black wire with the grey/white stripe is really the correct wire for the ground?

Has anyone successfully got their camera working by attaching it to the new ground on the hatch?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

TonyD2

Welcome to the Forum Tony. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one and the post above yours shows that the member did successfully fix his issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Tony. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one and the post above yours shows that the member did successfully fix his issue.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I managed to get the rear camera working on my 2014 Ford Explorer after connecting connecting the ODB2 USB connector to my laptop and running the Forscan program on my laptop. All of the sudden my rear backup camera started working. One mistake I made was not installing the ODB2 drivers onto my laptop because without installing the drivers Forscan did not recognize the ODB2 adapter. Hope this helps someone else. I did hook up the black/grey wire to an alternate ground so maybe that fixed the grounding issue with the original rear camera ground.

Trust me I know.

Hello

Thanks for this tip. I have a question My so called 2013 was manufactured 8/12. I just applied the EB5Z-19G490-A to the vehicle and performed the Forscan and reset it. The problem is the white lines are still showing so do I need the BB5Z-19G490-A? Thanks for the information and help
Tim

Hello

Thanks for this tip. I have a question My so called 2013 was manufactured 8/12. I just applied the EB5Z-19G490-A to the vehicle and performed the Forscan and reset it. The problem is the white lines are still showing so do I need the BB5Z-19G490-A? Thanks for the information and help
Tim
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
EB5Z-14G490-A is the camera for your 2013 Explorer. 2011-2015 Ford Rear Camera EB5Z-19G490-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
The other number is for the 2011-12 Explorers.
Do you have Active Park Assist? If you do, then you should have the Active Guidelines along with the Fixed ones. I'm not sure what the "white lines" are in the setup. Have you checked the Manual to see what you should have? Page 255 in the 4th edition under Parking Aids.

Peter

Trust me I know.

Hello. So my 2013 was made on ,8/12 an I tried the EB5Z-19G490-A and I have the two white line for steering stuck to the left. My vehicle has never had that option just the green,yellow,red boxes. Should I return it and get the BB5Z-19G490-A? The part number that came out of it is DB5T-19g490-AB. Thank for any help

Hello. So my 2013 was made on ,8/12 an I tried the EB5Z-19G490-A and I have the two white line for steering stuck to the left. My vehicle has never had that option just the green,yellow,red boxes. Should I return it and get the BB5Z-19G490-A? The part number that came out of it is DB5T-19g490-AB. Thank for any help
I discovered what the white lines are when I checked it on my Aviator. Those are the Active Guidelines that are used with the Park Assist feature.
I asked if you had Active Park Assist but I'm guessing that you don't. Have you checked the setting for the camera to see if the Active lines can be turned OFF? According to the Manual you may have; Selectable settings for this feature are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.
I have a feeling that they appeared due to your FORScan changes. As I mentioned before, the other camera number is for the 2011 -2012 Explorers. Yours is a 2013, regardless of the date it was made. You can also go to the site I linked, put in the other number and then check it with your VIN to see if it is compatible.
In any case, I'm not sure why you would want to get rid of them as they are an additional aid that can come in handy. If you really don't want them, try reversing what you did in FORScan to see if they disappear.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
EB5Z-14G490-A is the camera for your 2013 Explorer. 2011-2015 Ford Rear Camera EB5Z-19G490-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
The other number is for the 2011-12 Explorers.
Do you have Active Park Assist? If you do, then you should have the Active Guidelines along with the Fixed ones. I'm not sure what the "white lines" are in the setup. Have you checked the Manual to see what you should have? Page 255 in the 4th edition under Parking Aids.

Peter
Thanks for the reply. I don't have activate park assist. My buck up lines have never moved before. I also ran through the Forscan resets . I'm have a photo but I'm my phone so not sure how to add that.

Have you checked to see if you can disable the Active Lines in your camera settings?

Have you checked to see if you can disable the Active Lines in your camera settings?
Yup. All I have in settings is the enhanced parking aid that shows the green,yellow,red blocks and delay for camera to turn on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup. All I have in settings is the enhanced parking aid that shows the green,yellow,red blocks and delay for camera to turn on.
Why not just leave the Active Lines there? Could be useful since it shows the vehicle's path.
I'm quite sure that the lines are controlled by the programming of the camera or associated module and not the camera itself. There have been several posts where members with the Active Park Assist were missing the active lines until the camera was programmed to the vehicle.

Peter

Back