Return from Moab 2000 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Moab 2000

GoFast... question... what's the brand name of your roof rack???

Tom Wilk - Where did you get your shackles??

few modifications and we'll be ready to go again

Gerry & Sarah
99 XLT - Stock (for now)
Ft Collins, Co

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Gerry,
I can answer those questions for you. Rob has a Con-Ferr safari rack, and Tom got his shackles off of me. I bought them at a 4wd shop. They are aftermarket Jeep shackles designed to lift a Jeep YJ 1.25". They will lift an Explorer .5" - .75", just enough to get rid of the "Explorer droop" but not high enough to match a torsion twist lift.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

Rick,
I just emailed you a Top of the World report to rick@4x4central.com.

Barry, thanks for that straddle pic; I saved it to my harddrive. I got one of your rig up on top but it looks like you already have almost the same photos and yours will look better than my throwaway camera pics.

Gerald

Paul e-mialed me with a joke snce he' been back. I asked him how things went, but he never replied. At least we know he made it home.

Sorry guy's that I have not posted anything since we got back. When I got back to my office on Tuesday afternoon, I had a lot of work waiting for me to get done this week.

Anyway,yes we got back safely. We left at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, hit the big rain storm going out on Hwy.191. I was sure glad that I had my big dually pulling Bill's truck threw that storm, that truck and trailer never felt that strong cross wind blowing against it. As we followed the storm up the grades, the outside temperatures went as low as 36 deg. no snow on the road, but you could see the snow on the upper hills that had fallen earlier that morning. Ray H. you probably didn't see us because we were traveling at a good clip. I knew that we had a long trip to get home, and wanted to make it with out having to spend a nite over. Traveling at a speed between 70-75 (I know I was exceding the limit) but pulling that trailer with that big F350, you never felt like you had anything behind you. When we got to Vegas, we hit the rush hour traffic. It was funny to see people pulling along the side of the trailer to see Bill's truck. I told Bill we should of had a big sign at the back of the trailer saying Moab! Well after hitting a few eating stops along the way we made a stop off of hwy. 91 and waited for Jay & Bill to catch up with us. At this stop, Darien wife JoAnn left Darien off and took my Explorer on home to their house. We (Darien,Bill & I) then proceeded on down hwy 91 then changed over to hwy. 15 to take Bill home in Carlsbad(San Diego, Co.) Jay also went his way from there. Total hrs. driven that day was 17 hrs. I got home at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. A very longgggg day. I'm sure Bill was happy to be home as sure as the rest of us were. Thanks again Ray & Debbie for the nice dinner. It was great meeting everyone. Hopefully we will meet again.

Paul B.

Yeah, we all made it home. A big public THANKS to Paul for trailering me home, I don't know what I would've done... Today I brought my truck down to Perry O'Neil, of 'Fab + Fiber' fame. He has a body shop across the border in Tijuana, where the labor is cheaper. He hasn't given me a price yet, and I'm paying out of pocket for this. I just got a rate increase on my insurance from the last time! So, I hope to be driving it again in 2-3 weeks. I'll keep you all updated, maybe in the Ranger column.

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RangerX:
Today I brought my truck down to Perry O'Neil, of 'Fab + Fiber' fame. He has a body shop across the border in Tijuana, where the labor is cheaper. He hasn't given me a price yet, and I'm paying out of pocket for this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill sorry to hear about your accident, but, since there was so much damage done you only have one choice. Dead Link Removed Remove the box, bob the frame and put a custom built flat deck on it. Dead Link Removed Also since the top of the cab is going to need to be replaced, make it removable. Dead Link Removed And add a roll cage at the same time. Dead Link Removed That would give you one hell of a cool looking Ranger. See things do happen for a reason. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Technically Velveeta isn't REALLY cheese... it's a cheese food...
The stuff that other cheeses eat... I guess.

Hey RangerX Do you remember someone saying this to you?

"Umm...I think it's do-able. I almost made it but got got sacared by the loose stuff after the steep rock."

Sorry about that bud.

Go convertible! It'll be swank!

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Paul, Bill, Jay and all,

Great to hear you made it OK.. Wow, that was a long day. We too hit Vegas Rush hour so we must have almost caught you! We decided to stop in Primm NV about 7pm for dinner, and after eating, realized how tired we were so we got a room at the Primm Valley Resort and crashed for the nite....after investing a few bucks in the slots, of course.

Anyhow, glad you guys made out OK, and Oh Yeah, Bill. You DEFINATELY need a roll cage, after all, it'll be easy to install with the roof off.

See Ya

Ray and Debby
93 white XLT
Slightly modded,
Lotsa radios

------------------

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard from Paul B., Bill or Jay to see how they made out on the trip back to So. CA, trailering Bill's Ranger-X? We visually checked all the truck stops and other logical points along the route back, but never saw them...We left Moab about 3 hours behind them. but don't think we caught up or passed them. Just wanting to hear how it went

Ray & Debby H
93 White XLT
Slightly Modded,
Lotsa Radios

------------------

I think that "Bill, you need a roll cage" was second only to "Man, how ya' feelin?" as the most often spoken phrase of the trip. Dead Link Removed Seriously, I'm glad that everyone made it back safely. Bill, that spare tire probably saved your butt. I hope you can get it fixed up better than before for a reasonably cheap price.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

While we're on the subject of me, does anyone have a good photo of me, either pre-roll, or post?

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

Bill, Peter Weber has a picture of you "pre-modification". The link to his second set of pictures is in the Moab Pictures topic, probably the last page. I haven't seen any "after" pictures. I think everyone was too stunned to take any at that point in time.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

Bill,

I've got before still photos and a video of you being hoisted back on four wheels. If your ready for the video I'll post the clip.

Rick

This was taken on the way to Gold Bar Rim on Friday. I know it's not an action shot of you going over an obstacle, but it just might be one of the last (if not last) pictures of your truck before you rolled.
I also still have some from Truckhaven.
By the way, I'm glad to hear you're going to get your Ranger fixed.

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

[This message has been edited by Peter Weber (edited 05-15-2000).]

Bill -

I have three recovery photos - - e-mail me at ptsabin@lvnworth.com and I'll forward them to you.

Paul

I'd post them, but don't have a homepage to download from.

Paul,
You can upload them to ecircles them post them. I also got some good shots of your truck. If you don't have an invitation to the Moab circle just give a holler and I or some one else can send you one. Tell you what. I'll send you an invite right now. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Ray -

Thanks. They're up. Dead Link Removed

Paul

There was a lot of video being shot in Moab. Would anyone care to send me a tape? I would like to add good footage to the next "Serious Explorations" video.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excelent Pix, Peter!

Originally posted by Peter Weber
Bill, check

Fantastic pix!

I thought about going this year, but figured that my truck would be pretty useless...Man, I am just gonna have to go next year if only for the scenery!

Thanks again for the pix,

T

Back