Return From Moab 2004! Photos!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return From Moab 2004! Photos!!

Rick said:
This Explorer run brought together people from South Carolina, Kentucky, British Columbia, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, California, and Arizona. Correct me if I forgot any other states. I believe we had between 25 and 30 rigs out there over the 3 day weekend.

I didn't see it before, but you forgot Texas again :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, one of these times I'll be there. I got the call my 90 year old grandmother passed away the friday prior to the trip, so I burned a few days off at a funeral in Wisconsin opposed to being with ya'll in Moab.

My truck is begging for a trip too. I've got the 5.13s, lockers, shafts and an awsome front end now (not to mention a bucket of Dana 35 TTB parts that I'll be carrying for all the TTB guys) that is killer. I've even been driving the truck on the HWY all the time since I sold my tow rig. The explorer has been a awsome daily driver (never thought I'd say that w/ over a foot of lift, homemade front end and NO sway bar on 37s, but it works great). I dang near drove it to Moab on Friday to meet you guys when I got back to Phoenix.

Next time (it feels like I'm always saying that!)

Where's the rest of the pics and videos? There were a zillion cameras out there.

12 hours is too much! However it was a great trip!
Whinner.... :rolleyes: We got in at about 4 am this morning after a 2 day trip! We pulled out of Moab about 9 AM Monday morning, drove until 9 PM that night (through the Rockies) and stayed overnight in Kansas. We pulled out at 8 AM Tuesday and arrived home in Louisville at about 3:30 (Eastern Time) AM. A tad over 1500 miles for us one way.

We are glad to be home. Had a GREAT time wheeling with all the Explorerforum people. The wedding was a rush. I do a fair amount of weddings, but I don't know if I'll ever get to do another one quite like that. We were really impressed by the quality of the people that are a part of this forum. It's an honor to be a part of ya'll (a little bit of Kentucky lingo there).

I have a bunch of pictures and some video that I need to get sorted out. I'll post some on Explorerforum and some on webshots sometime today or tomorrow.

We did Steelbender on Saturday becase I had to pull the front differential and replace the blown locker after TOTW. I got a piece of junk that was clacking from the begining (so all you jealous ones can start laughing at my "low cost locker" now!). We pulled the pumpkin and replaced the locker with spider grears overnight at the Silver Sage parking lot and then, due to missing the trail time for the group went out and ran Steelbender with our group (me, my son and Doug). Fun trail!

These are some extra shots from behind the rocks. Mainly the first obstacle.

Behind the Rocks 2

Rick said:
Where's the rest of the pics and videos? There were a zillion cameras out there.
I just got the DV cam from John, so hopefully I'll have our video up tonight (but its only from Metal masher). Our pics are few because we only had one digital camera, and its batteries kept dieing at inoportune moments.

If anyone needs help capturing, compressing or hosting video, I'd be glad to help (especially if i'm in it ;) )

I just posted a few pics in the gallery under the off-road pictures area. Do a search for username glfredrick and you should find them.

Rick, if there is a way to host pics in a different way let me know - I have more.

Here is a teaser that no one else but myself and our group from Louisville did on Saturday. This is the entrance on the south end of Steelbender.

15014100_0557.jpg

I`m back, it was unbelievable, big thanks to everyone who set it up, it was a trip of a lifetime for us.
Had some mechanical problems there though, my passenger side coil spring jumped out on the way back from TOTW. Jefe and Brother of Jefe helped me get it back in and later I mickey moused some hose clamps to keep the spring from dropping and left my front sway bar on for the rest of the trip. Probably tweaked something because by the end of sunday my u-joint on that side finally gave up the ghost.

We stayed another day and went to Canyonlands park then left on tuesday.

On the 2nd day on the way back home the truck was making all sorts of noise from the engine compartment, I found that my pully on the alternator had worked a little loose and started spinning around the shaft, so a quick fix in Baker, Oregon got me back on the road.

Never saw so much of the US before and I met so many kind people along the way that it was a very positive experience all around.

I have so many pictures I`ll have to sort through them tomorrow, I do have some video for you here though. I didn`t get much, because it eats my battery up, only got the two files here:

-Are they working?

Jefe and Brother Of

I`m pretty sure this is positive vibes, boy will I feel dumb if not :eek:
His name was Derek though, and what a sweet looking first Gen that is:

Positive Vibes at entrance to BTR

ld50 said:
-Are they working?

Yes, they work on my computer. Glad you and your family had a good time on your trip. Hope to wheel with you again sometime.

Well I did manage to break something in Moab. I noticed yesterday that there was alot of red dirt on my rear shock. Turns out the shock is blown and fluid is coming out of it. Time to get some better rear shocks.

It looks like u guys had a blast, Man seeing those pics I really want to go out there. Maybe next year!!!

FordBeast98 said:
It looks like u guys had a blast, Man seeing those pics I really want to go out there. Maybe next year!!!
It was a blast - and perhaps the best part was meeting so many great people. We really had a good time.

Best part? My wife saying that the old silver Ex needs to be set up like Rick"s... :bounce:

We did Steelbender on Saturday becase I had to pull the front differential and replace the blown locker after TOTW.

:) here`s the "out of action" shot GL :)

Attachments

• day 2 040.JPG
    day 2 040.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 304

was anyone there with an AWD 5.0 X? I'm just curious as to how one would do without 4-low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that you would be at a serious disadvantage without 4 low... There is almost no way to crawl a lot of the obstacles without both the power and the low speed of 4 low. Being able to shift out of 4 and into 2 low would be a great advantage however (Rick!) as one could drive around some of the trails without needing to drag the front axle as well.

I did do TOTW in 2 low (front hubs unlocked - due to the problems with the locker) and did OK, but for some of the other stuff 4 low is the only way.

Thanks for the reminder ld50... Worst part of that job was jacking it high enough to get the wheels off the ground... We topped out the high lift and had to use a bottle jack under the axles as well. Thanks to the guys in the RV shop next door to the Silver Sage for allowing us to borrow their jack stands.

BTW, Moab Off Road is in business and they were VERY helpful. We got the replacement spider gears from them. They even cut us a break on price.

Back