Photos - Return From Moab 2004! Photos!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Photos Return From Moab 2004! Photos!!

Whoa! I tensed up so much watching that, I swear I willed you from flopping.

That picture is actually from the video. I have the video but i dont know how to compress it. :banghead: Its like 21 mb's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JTX said:
That picture is actually from the video. I have the video but i dont know how to compress it. :banghead: Its like 21 mb's.
I like to use a program called Dr. Divx. It is really easy to use and really squishes things. You can get a free trial of it at www.divx.com
Go here if you want to go directly to the download page http://www.divx.com/divx/?src=toptab_divx_from_/index.php

If you don't want to bother with all that, PM me and I will tell you how you can FTP it to me and I will do all the work.

Al

I'm still on vacation in Utah, just got a few minutes of net access so I thought I'd use it to thank Msupertek for letting me and Eryn ride along on Friday. We had a great time thanks to you and your wife, and we both agree that you are two of the nicest people we have ever met! Thanks again for the sandwiches! :)

The view from TOTW was great! Congrats again to Gerald and Ashli!

I have some pictures that I hope to get uploaded to my ISP within a few days after I get home. It might take me a couple days to resize them all, but I'll eventually get them up.

glfredrick said:
I was just wondering... the pics you list as "steelbender" look more like metalmasher. We ran steelbender and it wasn't exactly the same trail. Did you mis-lable the trail?

Great pics in any case.

it was steelbender. we ran it from the south end at kens lake to north and ended at the shell station. We took the optional 4 mile bonus loop after the hill climb that gerald warned us about, and i ripped a tow hook off the frame climbing. It was the most intense 14.8 miles of trail I have ever done. I can't wait to run it again.

-joshua

Just wondering... I didn't know that any other group did steelbender. I agree with your assesment. It was definately a fun trail... We ran it backwards (south to north) which is supposedly more difficult and made it through OK. No real damage, just some re-arranged skid plates. I bent my fuel tank skid enough so that it began hooking on the sliders I made to cover the leaf spring bolts - made quite a bang as it loaded and unloaded, but no real harm done. I would run that trail again in a heartbeat. I also want to run behind the rocks next time out - that looked like a blast as well.

Wow, that looks absolutely amazing. I hope I find the $ to get this thing lifted a bit so I can get out there with you guys. Just to see that scenery, the dinosaur tracks, etc would be amazing, someday I hope... Glad to hear everybody's back safe and sound and in one piece (the people, not the trucks :))

Awesome Trip!!!

This was the best Moab trip of the 4 that I have been on. I guess actually getting to drive the X all weekend helped too. ;) I usually drive 1200 miles to Moab, put the truck in the shop, and then ride with Gerald, :banghead: but I kinda like the big dog trails better anyway. It was great to see old friends from past trips, and make new ones every year too. I'm Elite now too!! Top of the World is much harder than in 2001, erosion at work I guess. Behind the Rocks was just insane, :eek: and Tip Toe wasn't a cakewalk. I banged the dodo out of the under side of my truck. Boy them 31s are starting to look real small. :D My front diffy leaks a little now, I wonder why? :rolleyes: My AC locked up just after I left Dallas last Tuesday, so I was real happy with the wonderful weather we were blessed with. In 2002 it was 108.
Left Moab about 5pm Sunday, got to Ouray Co. about an hour before dark, and messed around a couple of hours. We headed south from there, but after counting 26 deer and 5 elk in the road I couldn't take any more. Pulled over about 2am and rested till 6 and hit the road again. After a long hot drive across New Mexico and Texas (no AC), arrived home about 10 pm, unpacked till 1am and went to work at 4am. Haven't had a day off yet and wont till Tuesday, I'm still exausted.
OK trip carnage. I haven't had the time or energy to crawl under the X and look, but with the beating it took I'm probably missing some parts. (like I could tell) Dead AC. 1 leaky front diff, probably reshaped a little. Some new trail pinstriping. What used to be the high side of my front bumper, is now the low side. Major stress and lack of sleep from a week on the road with the goofiest moron on the planet.I needed someone to split gas cost with. And 12 rolls of 35mm film.

And I didn't need a strap one time. :bounce: Cant wait to do it again. :p

Thanks for the great trip, see ya next time. David Jarrett

David,

A pleasure to wheel with you... I watched you bash that poor Ex into the rocks a few times and I'm glad you made it home safely.

I am already cooking up phase 2 for my Ex. Gonna get a bit bigger... Also already shopping for a new front locker.

Wedding video!

Ok, I just got done mashing the video down from the wedding. Sorry if it seems kinda bad - it's a trade off of size vs. quality.

The camera kept wanting to wash out the faces when I changed the contrast - it's does display correctly on my projection TV system.

Gerald/Ashley - if you want, send me an address, and I'll put the video on DVD or VHS tape for you two. Just let me know!

Wedding Video, 19mb in size

Oh, and you MUST have DiVX5 to play this.

http://www.divx.com (look for the free version.. it's there, hidden/buried)

Nice video Tom....

Tom, thanks for the offer, you bet we'd like the video. I'll PM you our address.

And in the abscence of Char, I also want to thank you for the excellent work you did spotting :) My Explorer's lack of additional body damage is very much appreciated :D

ld50, have you cooked up any grits yet? :D We named the moose you gave us "Jimbo" and he has a permanent spot perched on my Explorer's sunvisor :)

Ok, the video is now 4mb smaller, at just under 15mb. Much more than this, and it becomes blobs moving around on the screen.. :D

FYI, I:

1) reduced the frame rate to 12FPS
2) reduced the audio to VBR limited at 32kb/sec, and mono
3) reduced the video bit rate to 116kb/sec

Final encoding stats:

Video stream: 118.073 kbit/s (14759 bps) size: 11219383 bytes 760.167 secs 22786 frames

Audio stream: 32.154 kbit/s (4019 bps) size: 3057408 bytes 760.680 secs

Which means, on a 56k modem, you should be able to stream it; it only needs about 18kb/sec.

I have a 4 minute video that is 17mb's. :banghead: It's of the two times i almost flipped. :roll: If anyone can host it let me know. :bounce:

ld50, have you cooked up any grits yet? We named the moose you gave us "Jimbo" and he has a permanent spot perched on my Explorer's sunvisor

LOL, was all set to cook some up on sunday, but all we had in the house was margarine, which didn`t seem right for grits. I have a couple days off this week so I`ll definitely let you know how it turns out. Christyn was quite taken with you two, thanks for being so nice!

PS I have a pic of your truck doing the crab down the road, I`ll try and post it later tonight when I get home from work.

-about video
-I can host video, but I`m not sure how to get it to my computer first, other than msn messenger?
I don`t have an ftp program.

As for my crabs :D and crabbing sideways down the road, I got it fixed while in Dallas. As Jefe noted, my centerpin bolts were FUBAR'd. I took my leafs apart and BOTH centerpin bolts were snapped in half, so nothing was holding my axle in place. This is the second set of centerpin bolts I've gone through, so I upgraded to 7/16" bolts.... maybe those will last longer.

If anyone needs web space for video or pics I can set you up on my server. I can create an ftp account so you can upload directly to the web directory. I'm only using about 25% of my 1000GB of monthly bandwidth and have about 60GB of hard drive space free so I have plenty of room. Send me a PM with the username you want. The urls will look like ford.sonik.us/username/

Damn, next year for sure. You guys had way too much fun out there.

WOW!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JTX said:
I have a 4 minute video that is 17mb's. :banghead: It's of the two times i almost flipped. :roll: If anyone can host it let me know. :bounce:

Ok, I did more compression of the file, and it's now here It's about 8mb in size.

Back