Robb's SAS | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Robb's SAS

Hey Guys!
OK, I was trying to put off starting a thread like this until stuff got closer to done, but I have been asked so many questions in the middle of other threads, I thought I should.

This is the plan:
-SOA
-HP YJ D30 SFA
-35"s

As a lot of you guys know, I had the oppurtunity to have the work done by an expert at one heck of a good price.:D The SOA and SFA are being done by Cory at CRL Customs So, as far as the really technical stuff, I will have no idea since I am not the person actually doing the work.

OK, the first obvious question. "Why a D30?" I know most people instantly think of a D44 when they think of a SAS for an Explorer. The idea of a D30 hit me when I was planning on doing the project myself (which would have never become reality). I liked how the YJ D30 was about the same width, bolt pattern was the same, I thought leafs would be pretty easy (Wrong!), and $$$. So I started looking into the pros and cons of the D30, and after a lot of research, I felt it met my requirements for what I was looking for out of an axle. And to be honest, I think stock D44s (especially LPs) are a bit overated (yep, I said it). They aren't the strongest things on Earth like a lot of people seem to think.

OK, enough yapping for a starter post. Let me throw a few pics of the progress.

Robb

Start with a stock pic:

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,657

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

right now I have the stock waggy knuckles on it, I have a set of flat tops that I just need to get the pass side tapped and then Ill throw them on with a hi-steer setup. bolt pattern is 6 on 5.5.

3lifted1ll-med.jpg

sorry the pic isnt more clear i took this this mornign before i left for work. it looks smaller in the pic. the top of the fender well is 44"!

ive got it all squared away except for a leaking power steering fitting on the return line (i think i stretched the o ring or soemthing.) and i need to power wash and paint the frame and axle parts. also need ot grind a few little pieces off to make it look clean.

--- next up:
-gears will be here soon (bought from guy in PA and cant get to UPS due to snow)
- driveshaft needs to be lengthened
-gotta buy cable actuator
-get tires from jon

ITS RIDE BETTER THAN STOCK EX!!! no lie it is a softer ride and handles very well for being jacked up and on 32s. ill get the power steering line taken care of tonight and take some flex pics. its really flexy!

Looks good Gabe, looking forward to seeing some flex shots.

Looks really good.

I can't wait till I get mine back on the road. Hopefully this weekend
Dead Link Removed

What if I find some dana 30 from a jeep but with 3.73 I have 4.10, Can I do the swap without connecting the front shaft? ot it will be undriveable till I get the new ones??

Is it the pic or does that front axle look a bit far back?

oso, Yes

or find a jeep with 4.10's I know you are in SA but i know the NA jeeps have 4.10's

That's what I'm looking for, I will post at pirate4x4 forum to find the exact year of jeeps with 4.10's!! I really don't like my IFS that much to stay with it!;):p

Finding a Jeep with 4.10s is like finding an X with 4.10s. It isn't year dependent and it isn't the most popular ratio. You are going to have to find out how to identify the gear ratio in a Jeep to be able to find one.

Robb

look in 4 cylinder jeeps, I have found several with 4.10's
some of the yj had 4.11's but that will work too

dont exactly quote me on this, but through the YJ series the 4 cyl. had 4:10's as an option, but with the 6 cyl. 3:73's were as low as you could get stock. either way, 4:10's in a YJ are not what i would call commonplace.

i was about to buy one in 94, and that stuck in my mind as odd when i was shopping. and no, i never did buy one... so no flames please.:p

what are yall doing for brakelines? can i go to autozone and have custum ones made or will my explorer ones work, or do i need jeep ones?

also i am worried about the length with 10 inches off lift.

i am using xj brakes btw

right now, my TTB lines will work for my D44, but what I need to do, soon, is get some S.S. steel brakeline and I'm going to bend it to the contour that I need, flare it, and get the rubber lines for the 79 Bronco. to get from the frame to the axle, I'm going to get rubberlines made up to go down the trac bar, I think that is the safest way to go:D

I was cruisin through a parking lot... some snow... almost dark out, when out a nowhere BAM!... I hit a 12" high concrete barrier, sent the truck up in the air, hurt like hell too.... almost rolled the damn truck, when I finally came to a stop, I got out, waiting to see the devestating carnage..... one shock mount was bent, and that shock got scraped a bit..... thats it..... that hit would have ripped my old front end apart..... so now Im alot more confident in my fabbing.

Originally posted by lizardtrac
I was cruisin through a parking lot... some snow... almost dark out, when out a nowhere BAM!... I hit a 12" high concrete barrier, sent the truck up in the air, hurt like hell too.... almost rolled the damn truck, when I finally came to a stop, I got out, waiting to see the devestating carnage..... one shock mount was bent, and that shock got scraped a bit..... thats it..... that hit would have ripped my old front end apart..... so now Im alot more confident in my fabbing.

you still going to be able to be in that competion thing?

Back