roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread.

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. Back From the Dead & Finished

Well, after some thought and planning, I've decided to go ahead and start the restoration project of my mountaineer. I've been lurking through the explorerforum threads for quite some time. I guess I would call myself an amateur paint/body guy but we'll see how it works out. I'd like to say thanks to "MONMIX" for some influential chime ins and threads that I've studied and added to my book of notes. If you guys notice anything that I should change or attempt differently, just let me know. Constructive Criticism in my book is help, whether it's positive or negative.

I have about 30 hours in her so far and I'm sure plenty more to go. Well, on with the pics!

The Original, yes, those are aviator wheels.
IMGA0246.jpg

The start:
IMGA0154.jpg

LOL
IMGA0171.jpg

Stripped down...

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

<
DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

My kiddies...
DSCN1303.jpg

Little dent repair..
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

Dent Repair Complete....
DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

More pics to follow from this past weekend........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What a disaster last weekend was..... Finished the driver side door, had to do some key mark and dent repairs. Just as I was pulling in the truck mother nature decided it was a good idea to down pour and blow a fine mist of water into the garage all over the top of the still wet door. Needless to say, the door fish eyed hard and I had to spend all day Sunday repairing and repainting.

Fun Fun Fun

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That's a shame. I had a bigger issue with my first hood painting. We did my hood before the other parts(first), and a swarm of termites flew in right after we started. There ended up to be about 15 termites land on the hood. After that we painted the other 20 pieces or so without any issue outside. I had to buy more paint and we did the hood again another day.

Brother got skills. That's all I can say.

Nothing too major but a few update pics......

Doesn't look like much but it sure did take quite some time as you can see from my last post.

Finished the driver side minus the door handles.
IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Right now all I have left is the passenger front door, all 4 handles, passenger running board and two mouldings for the hatch. Almost...

Some pics of the passenger door. I love the paint job Ford did on the door jams...

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

I should have the passenger side finished up today. Hopefully.....

Termites suck brotha! I had a similar instance a while back with a moth, although not in a number like you had :) but this damn moth decided to fly on top of a fender flap around and leave a big dust trail. Thanks!

It looks great, I know detailing and how much goes on with real nice paint work. You are there, take good care of it. My Mountaineer needs some work, enough that painting it all would be wise. I hope my door jambs will be okay as they are, I want to alter the paint shade a little.

If you get a chance, I'd like to see the head/marker lights turned on when it's dark outside if ya can.

You've done an awesome job. Looks damn nice.

If you get a chance, I'd like to see the head/marker lights turned on when it's dark outside if ya can.

You've done an awesome job. Looks damn nice.

Thanks, Ok, next time I have the camera going I'll snap a pic.

looks bad ass man keep up the good work i should have u do all that to my sport.

thanks brotha........ if anyone is interested in the process of the door I posted up, see my thread in "body work and detailing" and let me know what you think.....

I keep coming back to this thread to check the pics out again and again. I think you're doing a darn good job and I can't wait to get to this stage on my truck. If I could ever get the darn thing running like I want, I'll start doing something similar! Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming. It's big time motivation for me.

Look OMG amazing.... I miss my explorer now!! :(

Bump! :D

Sent you a PM bud.

The truck is finally finished. Sorry to disappear on you guys like that. I'll take some pics next weekend as a final update and closer to this thread... :thumbsup:

Not sure how I missed this thread -- subscribing. Nice Work, looking forward to seeing more pics.

Sent you a PM bud.

The truck is finally finished. Sorry to disappear on you guys like that. I'll take some pics next weekend as a final update and closer to this thread... :thumbsup:

Hey!!
Good to hear from you!!

Looking forward to the pics.

Ditto, pictures. How do you like your headlights now after some time? I'm hopefully getting my truck painted soon also, more parts to collect.

Bumping for an update. :)

Curious to see how this turns out, your body work looks fantastic!

Although don't be a ****** (as you are so fond of saying), and run with real catalytic converters. A good high-flow unit (or 2, one for each side) won't hinder exhaust performance at all, and they're not expensive.

I just found this thread and this piece of art work looks awesome! Where are the new pics bro! Oh, and um.. Awesome Truck!...

Back