Ronin's Rig | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ronin's Rig

Haven't done one of these yet, so here it is. Thanks to all who helped me with ideas and tips along the way!

I bought my 2004 Eddie Bauer 4.0 in 2009.

Current Mods:

-Scanguage II with blendmount rearview mirror mount: scangauge 2 questions
-OEM Class 3 hitch swap
-SCT XCal3 programmer with 87/89/93 torque tunes from Henson Performance
-Gibson stainless catback exhaust
-Hunter Brush Guard
-Helo wheels Maxx8 Black 16x8 wheels, 0 offset
-Treadwright Guard Dog M/T 265/75/16: Buy TreadWright All-Terrain & Mud Terrain Tires for Trucks, Jeeps & SU
-Cobra 75WXST CB radio with Firestik II 3' antenna - mounted over the right rear taillight: What do you reckon?
-Custom 1.25" front / 1" rear strut lift spacers
-12" limit straps - 3rd Gen Limiting Straps install
-Moog Coil Springs mounted on Monroe Reflex struts
-BTF tubular upper control arms with uniballs: For Sale - Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL
-PA 883 3” body lift: How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install.
-Yukon 4.10 gear swap in the front and rear axles: Regearing the front differential - possible solution
-Aussie locker in the rear axle: How to: 3rd Gen Aussie Locker Install
-Rugged Ridge 100 Watt offroad lights x 4
-F-150 Tow Hooks
-OEM Fuel Tank and Transfer Case skid plates
-Custom Rock Sliders: Ronin's 3rd Gen rock slider build thread
-Viair 20001 On Board Air system: My "stealth" on board air install, pics, and video

Removed mods:
-Underdrive crank pulley/underdrive water pump pulley/overdrive alternator pulley
-Black Magic 150 electric fan/HHR electric fan (got too hot in the summer)
-1.5" body lift (upgraded to 3" body lift): How to: - 1.5" body lift for less than $50
-50W Baja Blazer offroad lights (too dim!)
-Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials 265/75/16
-KKM cone filter and MAF adapter with outerwear pre-filter: " Stage 2 " Intake 04-05
-BTF 1.75" front/1.5" rear strut lift spacers: How To: BTF-Fabrication Spacer Lift Install

More to come!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yea I gotcha...I "had" money to mess around with a little but I blew another code today "cylinder 1 misfire" and the catback seems like it will be a bigger pain then im in the mood for and i have a big dent to get out and still need an alignment so I'm dropping her at the shop in the morning.

No winch for Ronin :(

Removed my brushguard, tow hooks, bumper cover, bumper, and a bunch of plastic pieces today to see if this Recon 10500 winch would really fit or not.

Width and height wise there would be a little trimming needed on the bumper mounting horns and some sheet metal in the grille area. Depth wise, though, it's not going to happen. There's just not enough room between the bumper and radiator core support to squeeze this thing in behind the bumper cover. I mean, it could be done, but it would take more work than I feel like doing. At this point in time i don't think it's worth the money for a custom winch bumper or brushguard winch mount just to have a winch on the truck. I'm not really interested in the front receiver cradle mount either...So I can cross that idea off the list for sure then :D

Next up....skidplates and maybe rocksliders!

I'm not really interested in the front receiver cradle mount either

You only mentioned that to shut me up lol

Next up....skidplates and maybe rocksliders!

I vote on rocksliders, I'm looking to mount some stepbars that are similar to sliders, mounts up high and has two steps that hang down. Still saving up for those instead since I think i'll just burn some more rubber off this summer before I move to 265's

You only mentioned that to shut me up lol

Lol, yes :)

I vote on rocksliders, I'm looking to mount some stepbars that are similar to sliders, mounts up high and has two steps that hang down. Still saving up for those instead since I think i'll just burn some more rubber off this summer before I move to 265's

Yeah I am set up pretty well to start designing some rock sliders now. It'll take some time so it's probably going to be a "by the end of this year" project.

I'm just going to buy the ford skidplates.

I think I'm also going to paint my brushguard and taillight guards with bedliner.

Yeah I am set up pretty well to start designing some rock sliders now. It'll take some time so it's probably going to be a "by the end of this year" project.

looking forward for the rock sliders :thumbsup:

I'm just going to buy the ford skidplates.

what kind of skid plate we are talking about :scratch:

Looking forward to seeing the pics. You're building quite the nice trail rig! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the pics. You're building quite the nice trail rig! :thumbsup:

thanks!

here's about the best pic I could get without jacking up the truck. you can see the transfer case skid plate right above where the camera is and the gas tank skid plate in the background:

IMAG0013.jpg

Looks great James! Have you planned out your rock sliders yet? My friend who owns the shop that does all my electrical is purchasing a welder over the summer so I'm hoping to start that project when I get home.

Looks great James! Have you planned out your rock sliders yet? My friend who owns the shop that does all my electrical is purchasing a welder over the summer so I'm hoping to start that project when I get home.

Yeah I was debating between welding on and bolt on for a while. finally decided on bolt on once I saw how people were able to make brackets that don't involve drilling the frame.

For the overall design I think I'm just going to use square tubing for them since I don't have access to a tube bender....just a miter saw with an abrasive cutting blade. Probably won't look quite as cool as the tube ones but the running boards are kind of boxy anyway so I think they'll be all right.

Just need to take some measurements over the weekend and draw up the plans....then I'll know how much steel to buy.

That's the problem I'm going to running into is finding a tube bender. I would much rather have round tubing doing the actual protecting with spare tubing as the main mounting plate. I may just have to use my brute strength to bend the steel..If you don't mind, would take a few pics of the places your planning on mounting brackets? I was just expecting to weld, but if you think it would be strong enough after just bolting them on then I'd rather go that route so that they aren't permanent.

That's the problem I'm going to running into is finding a tube bender. I would much rather have round tubing doing the actual protecting with spare tubing as the main mounting plate. I may just have to use my brute strength to bend the steel..If you don't mind, would take a few pics of the places your planning on mounting brackets? I was just expecting to weld, but if you think it would be strong enough after just bolting them on then I'd rather go that route so that they aren't permanent.

I'll start a build thread and I'll definitely provide a lot of pics of where everything will mount up.

A properly done set of bolt up brackets will be plenty strong from what I've seen. Welding on would work too but removing them would be a real chore if something happened and you needed to take them off for some reason.

I'll start a build thread and I'll definitely provide a lot of pics of where everything will mount up.

A properly done set of bolt up brackets will be plenty strong from what I've seen. Welding on would work too but removing them would be a real chore if something happened and you needed to take them off for some reason.

Gracias

Damn, another project? Do you ever stop working on your Explorer? :p:

Back