sn0border88's SAS Thread | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sn0border88's SAS Thread

WARNING: This swap will be longer than bmxking's :eek:

Thanks to tig for a real steal that I couldnt pass up ($50), it all started with a d44 from a 73' Bronco. This means its drum braked, coil sprung with LP housing complete hub to hub with r/a's.

But, its matching width. :D

Its in great shape as far as EB axles are concerned. It has 3.50's which upon inspection are in PERFECT condition. Not one chip on any of the ring gear teeth. Also the rust isnt too bad, its simply surface rust, nothing damaging. Also most of the bolts so far are coming off very well, only breaking a few. Not bad for 31 years of rust.

So far in the plans are yukon 4.88's with full spool or lincon locker. Disk brake conversion VIA junkyard or broncograveyard, rear XJ 8" lift leafs and heimjointed crossover. To complete the swap ill be getting new cromo shafts front and rear with a new 5on5.5 bolt pattern for the 8.8 and 4.88's with a detriot. Also rounding it out are some new rubbers, either 35" boggers or MT/R's on 5on5.5 steelies/beadlocked pending on the DD status upon completion of the project. And, if it is no longer a DD when I finish, the top is coming off. :eek: :thumbsup:

EDIT with final prices

Upon completion it now had a Fullwidth d44/9" with 36" TSL-SX, 5.13 gears spooled rear and many other goodies.

Prices:
Gears D44/9" 5.13: $150 from PBB
D44 Master Install: $109.99 from PORC on pirate
9" Master Install: $89.99 from PORC on pirate
D44 Carrier: $60 Ebay
9" Spool: $129.99 from PORC on pirate
1976 f-150 Highpinion Drum Brake D44 : $85 from Junkyard
D44 Disk Brake Outers: $50 from Junkyard
1978 F-150 9": $50 from Junkyard
5 on 5.5 Rims: $20 from Junkyard
4 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX: $ 250 from Pragon Board
1 36x12.5x15 TSL Radial: $18 from Junkyard
Shocks: $100 from Jeff Daniels Jeeps
D44 Spring Perch: $20 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
U-Bolts (Custom) : $30 from local u-bolt shop
Brake Pads/Caliper: $31.77 National Auto
Leaf Spring Hardware: $48 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
Replacement A4LD: $65 Junkyard
Conversion U-Joint: $25 National Auto
Extend Brakelines: $73 from local brakeline shop
Steel: $56

Without what I paid those who helped, plus the gear installs I have about 1,500 into this.

Scrapping the TTB: PRICELESS

Attachments

• DSC06381.JPG
    DSC06381.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,843
  • DSC06382.JPG
    DSC06382.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,850
  • DSC06383.JPG
    DSC06383.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,833
  • DSC06384.JPG
    DSC06384.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,830

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Do both yokes use the same joint? I think you mentioned that your stock joint worked with your current yoke, as did Spas'. Mine is the only one I noticed so far that the stocker didn't work with the new yoke.

No, not on the yoke from the 76. I had national auto look up the parts numbers and they were different.

Spas or IZ, do you have straps or u-bolts. What yoke are you using on your pinion?

Spas or IZ, do you have straps or u-bolts. What yoke are you using on your pinion?
Both the D44 and the 14-bolt on my Explorer are using straps at the pinion. 1310 for the d44 and 1350 for the rear -- both stock yokes.

somehow I managed to find an non exisant FSJ with big bearing spindles that dont work with the ford hub conversion.

:splat:

Do you need the big bearing or the small bearing to use the Ford hub? If its small, are you using the small Chevy D44 spindle?

EDIT -- i have no idea what I'm talking about, I havent done the FSJ -> Ford conversion

the truck i got the waggy axle from (a 76) is supposed to have the needed small bearing spindle to work with the ford bearings. However, I managed to find an exception to that rule which is a FSJ with big bearing spindles.

I may try to turn them down, as it has been done before. Or I may jsut try to buy some small bearings.

Yeah I'd just turn them down too -- especially since you have the equipment.

somehow I managed to find an non exisant FSJ with big bearing spindles that dont work with the ford hub conversion.

:splat:

Was that something they did on the 79 and older FSJ axles? My 86 FSJ axle was a big bearing, I had to get the spindles from a chevy front end.

Got some weld in beadlocks from ruffstuff ($215 shipped), newish grooved 36x12.5x15 SX's and adding new bumpstops and limit straps.

I turned down the spindle to take the ford inner bearing and it works like a charm. I need to finish getting my ford inner/chevy outer shafts together and bolt it together and the front axle is ready for abuse. Im going with drive flanges as well, no point in running lockouts.

Anyone want to help in the mounting of the tires to beadlocks? Anyone who's done it before have some advice?

Anyone want to help in the mounting of the tires to beadlocks? Anyone who's done it before have some advice?

Make sure you have lots of beer, lots of time, and a good back.

On a more serious note. Torque in a circular pattern until all bolts are at the recommended spec.

I've mounted quite a few and I use a 3/8 impact until the bolts are snug and then I start torquing. But I would recommend not doing that your first go around so as to not over-torque the bolts.

Make sure you use good quality washers for load distribution.. the first time Numi and I did his beadlocks the washers rusted in a month :x

016.JPG

watermark.php

Fresh rubber. :D

They are grooved very nicely and all the edges are still sharp, some even have the **** left. Not bad for $650.

Who can tell me what this is?

And from what I can tell even though the tires are the same size they are at least an inch taller than the old ones. Thats how beat they were.

Attachments

• 04-20-08_1703.jpg
    04-20-08_1703.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 04-20-08_1704.jpg
    04-20-08_1704.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 04-20-08_1725.jpg
    04-20-08_1725.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 302

A pinion guard for the diff?

I was going to say a 9" pinion guard.

Yup, looks like it will work pretty good. I just hope it doesn't act as a shovel.

I kinda buggered it up when I punched the holes for the bolts but I dont think it will matter.

I also cant cut a good circle with the plasma to save my life.

Attachments

• 04-20-08_1705.jpg
    04-20-08_1705.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 289

Back