supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 140 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just went out and started it. ran it for about a min and shut it down.
valve cover gasket leak now......ugh
dont know if the antifreeze leak is fixed for sure or not because it wasnt ran long enough.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

And, in to the frustrating part of the build. :-(

Tim, for the record, I am running 2 PCV valves on mine since there is a spot for one on the factory intake at the rear of the engine. Both of those are hooked into the vacuum port between the throttle body and the supercharger, then I have the one from the oil fill hooked into the intake before the throttle body. The way you have it set up now should work great.

i wished i had that factory spot still. would make things so much easier.

so for my clarification (and probably due to inhaling more brake clean then i want to admit when changing to this set up *twitch twitch*) anything before the throttle body blade is "fresh air" and anything past the blade is "vacuum" correct?
just waiting for the parts store to get the valve cover gaskets. want to have it running like it should today and get a data log of to don so i can start annoying the neighbourhood. after all, they have had nothing but quiet all summer. cant let them get used to that now, can i

so

got her all together.....everything. started up, NO LEAKS!!!! i also didnt feel comfortable not having a overflow for it as well, so i was able to cobble a couple of brass fittings and tied it into the rad overflow as well. was worried if it didnt have one in it, it would have found its weakest point at a moment that wasnt exactly convent to me either (like 1am a hour from home more then likely). i also did as everyone said on how to PROPERLY route the PVC as well. had it idling in total for about 30 mins., longest time 10 mins. i think i have all the air out of both innercooler and rad now as well. will check it in the morning.
was also able to kick the dust off the laptop and fire a datalog to don. thats when it happen. he told me both banks are way out. number 2 looked fine, but number one looked like one cylinder wasnt firing. when he told me that, i thought back to when i pulled everything apart. number 4 looked like it inhaled oil from when it was gulping oil into the blower. dumb me never checked the plugs out, and i think it may have fowled one or more plugs.
i was also telling don that this thing almost seemed like it wanted to suck another 100 bucks out of me at any cost. first one, the valve cover gaskets. bought new felpros today. $75. after getting home found some old ones that i think i had on the 302 that i saved for some reason, so the new ones can go back. second hit was the laptop. havent ran it for years and was doing funny things. i worked threw them as well and wont need a new one thank god because thats all i used it for is logging. lastly one reason why i didnt change plugs was i figured they were only 2 years old with low mileage on them. even though i thought one might be fowled, i figured i would come back to life. datalog says otherwise. i had 2 packs of plugs, but could only find one, which ment that i would have to buy four of them tomorrow. after looking around my shed, i found the other pack.
take that evil......just dont find new ideas tomorrow.

i almost forgot what this thing looked like all together.

118702945_335414007609054_1333269857817395266_n.jpg

so much for being inconspicuous about the innercooler lol.
however, after all the stuff i added and changed, i found my one little booboo

118673724_818462575361581_4851636967361748505_n.jpg

stupid fog light bucket! its resting right up against the hose. this is another reason why i went to stainless vs. rubber hose. hopefully they will get along and not battle to the death. i really dont want to cut the bucket off for that light, because if i do, that means both have to go.
oh, also for what ever reason, the headlights wont fire!!!! the only thing i did to them was unplug them when i took the header panel off, and i have power going to the ballasts, and even changing them out did nothing. oh well, i would have to say with those problems, if thats all i have with as much stuff that i changed, i would say i am doing more then good.

A trick we use at work for hoses that rub is to get a section of heavy rubber hose such as hydraulic suction hose, split it and wrap the hose you need to protect with it. Then hold it on with zip ties. I had to do that with my transmission lines. For that sized line you may be able to use heater core hose.

Great progress. I can't wait to see what happens after tuning.

check grounds on the headlight ballasts?

Still running HID's??? LMFAO
Dude that truck is just stunning..........seriously one wicked creation you have there
drool drool
\

A trick we use at work for hoses that rub is to get a section of heavy rubber hose such as hydraulic suction hose, split it and wrap the hose you need to protect with it. Then hold it on with zip ties. I had to do that with my transmission lines. For that sized line you may be able to use heater core hose.

Great progress. I can't wait to see what happens after tuning.

i know the way the bumper sits right now its a little low and over to one side because if that. sooner or later (the bodyman in me says sooner) this will drive me nuts and i will end up pulling the bumper off and shaving the bucket for the fog light.

check grounds on the headlight ballasts?

Still running HID's??? LMFAO
Dude that truck is just stunning..........seriously one wicked creation you have there
drool drool
\

thanks, its been a long road with this thing. then again the places i have traveled to and the people i have met, some people would look at you funny when you say a vehicle can change your life for the better but i can say it has. its also a way of therapy as well.
yes, still using HID's in it but with projectors from a range rover/bmw m3. i would put LED's in it, but i dont have enough room on the back side for the heat sinks and would probably melt something. even more now that the battery is tucked up to the rad cradle.
was thinking ground because when i checked for power, coming out of the ballast, the test light is bright on one side, but lighting dim on the other so something isnt right there.

Well, it sure is good to see everything put back in it's place. I've noticed "put together" is the best storage spot for all the pieces. Funny how that works.

Looks good Tim. You need to go for a ride quick, snow is coming.

Well, it sure is good to see everything put back in it's place. I've noticed "put together" is the best storage spot for all the pieces. Funny how that works.

Looks good Tim. You need to go for a ride quick, snow is coming.

and the space it free's up i tell ya! incredible!
NEVER EVER say the "S" word!!!!!!

EVAR!

put new plugs in this morning. ikd, i think the old ones still have a mile or two left in them.....at the most.

118764540_314874063274695_8123813746026877047_n.jpg

118699794_252146179190646_6744607127782766339_n.jpg

guess thats what happens when you feed them oil for five mins. did a log and sent it to don. he said it was much better.and i also finally got to listen to some a7x while letting it idle.
so did the neighbours.

don gave me the thumbs up to take it for a spin! after 2 months the day came!
did a 2nd gear roll to 3000rpms and shot of the log to him. he looked it over made some changes. he said you could probably do a wot if you watch your wideband or if you want do a roll to 4 or 5000rpm. i figured just to play it safe do a 5000rpm roll if i was brave enough.
after i was finished went for a small rip around town. in the back of my mind the full pull was itching to come out. well, not a full pull, but a few bangs of the throttle to see what it had. the results?
disapointment.
gave it a whack, motor came up then fell on its face. it is only making 4lbs of boost!?!?!? you can hear it in the supercharger and motor that its starving for more. i am hoping that the vacuum line i used to go to the bleed off valve or what ever you call it is not fully closing. in the morning i am going to see if i can disconnect it from the vacuum line and pin it shut to see what it will do. if i get more boost out of it, i found the problem. if i dont, i have a bad feeling it will have to come apart again which is what i really dont want to do.
oh, i did get one of my hids to fire. i forgot a ground wire somehow. will have to check the other one on the weekend because its infornt of the battery box which is also a pita to remove......
if anyone reading this also has ideas about the boost problem chime in. i am also thinking the vacuum line going to it may be a little on the small side as well. it is also hooked to the fpr, and boost gauge. the same way as it was on the m112 and sees both vacuum and boost

As long as the vacuum hose you used is strong enough (not washer fluid hose), then i would think it is fine. Remind me, are those bleed valves normally open or closed? Does vacuum open or close them?

on the bleed off valve, there are two ports. one is a vent, the other controls the valve moment. when you hook your vacuum line up to the vent side, you get 4lbs of boost. however, when hooked up correctly, you get 10! had don make a few more adjustments to the tune, then went for a drive. stated to screw around in town a little bit as well. 1/4 to maybe, maybe haft throttle it was making 5lbs of boost. then went on the highway to do a WOT log in second gear. when i hammered it, nothing but wheel spin and lots. about 3 stripes on the road long....starting in second. that and being a passenger and being a driver you normally get 2 different feelings. most have told me they can feel themselves being pushed in the seat, but i never can. well, this time, i can feel my shoulders going further and further back into the seat. hell, the exhaust even sounds louder! for the first time owning this thing, i am almost afraid to put it in 4x4 and send it.
now granted i havent drove this thing for a few months, its cool out right now (15C or around 60F) but good crap. at a roll it lights them in second, and i swore i heard the tires scrub going into 3rd on the highway at full song!

so......todays post is sponsored by depends.
depends, cause one ride in this thing, and you'll **** your pants!

Nice job Tim!

Props to Tim on the intercooler and heat exchanger setup.

Air Charge Temps are 120 at wot. We had no way to measure what intake temps were post blower with the old setup, but I can tell you it was way higher than that.
This will obviously add to more wheel spin issues as I am able to adjust timing now that we have more knock resistance.

A problem is that its hard to get a good solid data log to tune from when the wheels start spinning like that. Apparently there is a bit of a bog in 1st when Tim nails it, and I sure hope I can see where the issue is.
We have had 2 tune revisions so far (One with the boost solenoid working).

Its exciting to see the uncountable hours of planning and execution come together (Not to mention the $ that I don't even want to know about).

Congratulations Tim!

and thanks again don for doing the tune. comes in pretty handy when the guy is doing it for me right over the phone while i wait lol
so yea, if it gets faster, i thank don.........and if i yard sale it, i thank don lol, just kidding.
if is spins again in the morning, i guess i will have to put it in 4x4. nice thing is i have 2 front diffs under the bench in the shed. hopefully they will stay there.

Back