Superstition Mtn. ? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superstition Mtn. ?

Wish we could join ya... Have fun and happy new year :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bring wood!

Count me in...I'd really like to come out Thurs but looks like it'll have to be Fri morning.

Cool, Dave, we'll look for ya.

Looks like I spoke too soon...my grandmother passed away on Christmas night and the funeral home was going to notify us when they can schedule a burial for her. I thought they'd tell us earlier this week but it wasn't until today that we were notified that she will be buried this Friday. I'll catch up with you guys next month.
Have fun and Happy New Year.

I'll head out first thing in the morning, keep the CB's on!

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. My condolences...

I will not be able to make it on Saturday. The guys (and gal) don't want to drive that far for a 1 day run, so, I'm sitting this one out. Have a blast, and stay warm!

-Ken

We're back home.

I pulled in Wednesday night to find the 7 mile dirt road lined with motorhomes. Another Glamis. :rolleyes: 4x4's, Sand Rails/ Dune Buggies, ATVs and motorcycles everywhere.

Thursday morning Tom and I ran the whole loop to familiarize ourselves with the place. 14 miles of whoops and sand. :rolleyes:
About noon Bill showed up and we were off to search for Wrangler canyon. Big dissapointment. . so Tom did some searching and found a good candidate for 'Zuki canyon :D We then went searching for Jamies obstacle, and never found it, and about sunset we started our way through Sand Dam Canyon and on to camp. I met John in town that night for dinner and showed him the way in to camp. (otherwise it would have been a nightmare trying to find each other out there).

Friday Tom, Bill, John and I found some nice ditches to play around in, found Tow Strap Hill, and Jamie's Obstacle (both dissapointments for all our highly modified rigs). Tom found a nice canyon to practice a little 3 wheel action, while widening the ditch enough for the 'zuk to fit through. . the rest of us declined the invitation to follow. After lunch we headed off to Knock on Wood. Great Trail :thumbsup: I though for sure the granite walls were going to eat my truck alive. . .but I managed with only a scratch thanks to some helpful spotting. However just when we were getting pumped about running this canyon it abruptly ended, and we found ourselves route finding in sand dunes again. :(
On the way back to camp that night I was flying down the practically paved dirt road at about 45mph, and heard a pop. . . pop. . .pop, and then the sound of a metal part skiping along the ground away from the truck. I pulled over and checked everything I could think of, but didnt find anything. Once we got to camp I checked over the front end again, and found that I had thrown a cap from my pass side u-joint. :rolleyes:
The wind came up about 9pm so we all packed up this morning and headed home.

Pics will be up shortly

Thanks Ken, Friday wasn't the best day to have the funeral, traffic was backed up on the 60 and it was cold and drizzly on top of that but we made the best of it.

Jefe, so would you say it was worth it to go down there or not so great?

Pics are up

http://www.jefethegreat.com/truck/pics_04/01-01-04_Superstition/

Guess I only got the camera out twice :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DB_1
Jefe, so would you say it was worth it to go down there or not so great?
Sorry to hear the news Dave.

I wouldn't go out there again. The one good trail, and few good obstacles did not make up for dealing with the ATVs and sand rails that frequent the place. Not to mention my tranny did not like the sand dunes at all. I got it up past 250* (gage pegged) on three or four separate occasions.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother Dave. Our condolances.

Jefe..

I saw you comeing back today. On the 210 thru La Verne. I was all "hey that was Jefe!" My wife goes "How do you know it was him?" I said because I don't think there's to many red Explorers on 35's with a spare on the back.

Sorry u guys ran into a bunch of sanddunes:thumbdwn:

O'well Truckhaven coming up soon:bounce:

Like Jefe posted, it was "ok" out there.

Tow Strap Hill was a total wash out; like Truckhaven, the area can change in a single storm.

I was suprised to not see much ditch running. I had lots of fun in those two ditch's. One had a sand trap at the end, that you had just power through. The other had a really nasty tight turn, that I had to three wheel and slide on the sides some to get through.

I could totally pass on the buggies, ATV's and motorcycles.

As I arrived Wednesday night, I just stopped at the first big clear area I could find.. and that's where we made camp at (ended up being pretty quiet there)

We burned a lot of wood, and had a pretty good fire until that wind came up Friday night.

Traffic on I-5 in LA sucked totally; I now know why Yahoo! Maps routed me down the I405 vs. I5. I405 is wider, by two lanes!

It will be a few years before I would be willing to go back there.

Thanks Rick, Jefe

That sucks that place wasn't as good as you had hoped it would be, I was anxious to go myself. Hard to believe the San Diego 4 wheel club likes that place and can make a weekend out of it but hey, to each his own I guess. See you all out at T-haven. :D

Back