• Register Today It's free!

U um tah!

Happy Jack

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Everyone together now..........U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah!

Sat 21st-Leave Wichita and travel to Pagosa Springs, CO.

Sun 22nd-Travel to Halls Crossing to meet folks and then out in the desert to camp that night.

Mon 23rd-HITR trail. Go in to the end with as few stops as possible.

Tues 24th-HITR trail. Work our way out with stops for pics and side trips.

Wed 25th-HITR trail. Finish up and return to Halls Crossing for showers and supplies then back to camp in the desert.

Thur 26th-HITR trail. Start at the fort and follow the trail toward Bluff as far as we can and camp in the desert.

Fri 27th-HITR trail. Finish up to Bluff what we didn't get done thursday.

Sat 28th-Leave by noon for Pagosa Springs, CO.

Clint (Mad Max) & I (Happy Jack) 88 Bronco II pulled out on Clint's car trailer behind his SD

Larry (Outlaw) & Larry Don (Gadget) stock Xterra Pro 4X

Bob (Sundance) stock ZR Blazer

Bob (Santa Anna) & Son Nathan stock Grand Cherokee flat towing a Jeep Cherokee

A friend of Nathan, Chris with two children towing a Jeep Wrangler on a trailer

Ed (Snapshot) locked 4 Runner

Chip (Shutterbug) and dog unk vehicle

Who else?

I have never so much as scratched paint on this trail. Run it at least 3 times (the old way, new way is easier but longer) I can remember and did the best with a 89 BII and 30" tires with 4.11 gears. http://www.mappyjack.com/hitr.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guess I forget some key info. SE Utah, target is around May 20th 2011. I will have dates in stone this December.

There is new route going in over Nokia Dome now. The old route skirts the original route and that original route is in a study area that some folks want to lock us out of. The plan is to do again as much of the original route as possible and go in the new route and out the old route. Guess we'll find out if that is still possible or not. Hope we are not too late.

K. Time fer some info. From my house to Halls Crossing it is 870 miles according to Delorme. Right now I plan to drive with Clint from my house to Walsenburg, CO on Saturday May, 21st. I will stay in a motel that night. There are campgrounds in town if folks want to do that. Sunday I will drive to Halls Crossing. Halls Crossing has storage available. Have to check with Clint if he wants to store his SD and trailer or leave it parked in the desert. Halls Crossing has a campground http://www.lakepowell.com/stay/rv-parks--campgrounds/halls-crossing-rv-park--campground.aspx with family units. http://www.lakepowell.com/accomodations/family-accommodations.aspx I will camp out in the desert Sunday night. Monday we will go in the new route over Nokai Dome road. We do not plan to go all the way in and will most likely check out the some side trips. We will camp on the trail. Tuesday we will go the rest of the way in and back out trying the old route and camp another night. Wednesday we will go into Halls Crossing for showers and ice and then start working the rest of the trail to Bluff. We will camp that night in the desert. Folks can either spend another night at Halls Crossing or move to Blanding. Blanding has motels and a campground. Thursday we should be very close to if not finished near Bluff, UT. No plans for Friday other than finishing up and getting a shower and supplies.

There are many things to do in the area if you only want to join us for the difficult section of HITR. I recomend you drive the Moki Dugway http://www.midwestroads.com/otherstates/mokidugway/ and Valley of the Gods http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/mexican_hat/valley_of_the_gods.html and Monument Valley http://nationalparkreservations.com/monument_valley_gouldings_lodge.htm

Those are all 2wd things.

Near Blanding there are several 4wd trails. Arch Canyon and Hotel Rock are the closest. Up west of Monticello is Elephant Hill in the National Park but a fee is charged. Course if you want lots of folks and more expensive stuff you can go up to Moab. Folks are welcome to join us for as much as you want.

I can leave early and stay late if folks want to do trails in the area. The above is the closest I can get to in stone on a start and finish date. The rest most likely will change from day to day depending on weather, trail conditions, and vehicle conditions.

U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah! U um tah!

Man it's callin me. Had a good September out that way and I'm ready ta go back. Anyone wanta move it up ta next week? JK I'm not ready yet. Did buy new shoes fer Green and have the tranny stuff figured out I think. Plan is ta have Green and Jr. ready by the first of the year and then just drive um ta make sure they are good ta go. Then in May just change tires an oil and head west.

This is a lock for Clint and I. We are goin an it's written in stone. Come on folks this may be the last time we will ever get ta drive over some of this trail.

I have a map I made of the original HITR road but when I cut it down small enough for me to post it is worthless. Anyone want to post it for me?

Let's see if this works.

HITR.jpg

Much much mo better than I kin do. Great job Jon!:notworthy Ya kin right click and save picture. Then open it and zoom if ya like. The Black line is what yer lookin for. It starts in the lower left and goes up and to the center, then back down to the lower right. That north spur in the lower left is the trail to the Rincon. It is not part of the HITR road but it is an awsome side trip. I made that with some old Delorme TOPO Quad software that was the old 7.5 minute maps. You can't drive all of that but you can hike just about all of what you can't drive ifin yer able.

I've just been mapping the last few years and I do have some of it mapped. But not all of it. This trip is to get what I'm missing. I have another map made with what I have mapped so far. If Jon or someone wants to try again I kin send it. I also have the files if you'd like them. Just e-mail me and I can send you the jpeg map or if you have Delorme Topo I kin send you the draw files. Purdy sure the files will go back to 4.0

How many days will this trip take? Looks good to me...

I'm planning on a week (5 days) for the HITR stuff. Just depends on who shows up and what all we do. 3 days maybe near Halls Crossing and a day and a half to finish over to Bluff. It might go much faster than that. But ya just never know.

If the weather turns bad I won't go in to Cottonwood. No reason I can think of to go in there on slick rock when it's wet.

So that's kinda maybe sorta the plan. Meet up in Blanding or Halls Crossing the weekend of May 20th and try to do as much of the orginal HITR road as possible. As stuff happens and much of the time we won't even have cell service it will be difficult to connect with us after we get started. But not impossible.

We live out of our trucks and camp out in the desert. We hit some place for fuel and ice on a regular basis and have been known to stop regular for a meal in a eatin house. Other than that jus no tellin where we might pop up.

K. Throw another peice of wood on the campfire an pull up a chair. Grab a jug an pull a cork. If you have ever seen Gunsmoke ya know I slip into a Festus P. Hagan from time ta time. Figured it was time for a bit of back ground about me so's folks won't be thinkin the worst. Might fire up a ceeegar also.

I started wheeling back in the late 70's after I finished up my time with Uncle Sams Misguided Children. I went to work for Cessna and met a guy who was in a local 4x4 club. I learned from him to watch other folks to see what works and what don't on the trail. Tried the if it don't make it hit it harder next time stuff and never really seemed to get along with it much.

In the late 80's I found a group called Pass Patrol and started to "learn" my way of wheelin. The lesons I learned on those trips with Pass Patrol in the early 90's have been proven time and again. Folks like to travel at their own pace. Arrive late and leave early. And some want to start early or finish late.

I live in flat KS in the city. When I go to Colorado and Utah I go to camp in the mountians or desert. Now to me camping is not staying in town in a field in a numbered spot with a bunch of other folks. It's finding a fire ring with no neighbors for miles. And my eyes are not good in the dark so I really need to be in camp before dark. I have trouble staying in my tent much more than 8 hours and get up with the sun. It's my favorite time of the day. Setting with a hot cup of coffee watching the sun come up on the greatest country in the world. And I don't eat much when I'm out on the trail. I have what works for me and eat my last stuff early evening. So please don't take offense if I don't eat with folks.

Now I know folks are different. Makes me no nevermind. I spend my $1.25 to go to Colorado or Utah and long as I have a remote campsite to share with a few friends I'm "Happy". A campfire, ceegar, and cold glass of bourbon is frosting on the cake. Now I understand folks have there own likes. Some folks figure they are on vacation and like to make camp early and cook special dishes. Some are on vacation and like to sleep in. Some have saved up and want to stay in roomin houses and eat at fine hash houses. Some folks are stuck in wide open throtle and just cain't slow down. They's tryin ta do more than possible in the time they have. Me, I am just happy to be in Colorado or Utah. I'm easier un a nickel working girl.(that's funny right there. ifin ya didn't laugh at that ya need ta get on outa here. That's funny) So it really don't make me no never mind and I will do what I can to spend time with folks that want to join me on the trail.

Now I can work around most differences. I'm retired and I can go out early and stay late. I have known folks to have rooms in Blanding and get up at zero dark thirty and head over Clay Hills pass and run the road to Cottonwood and back out to Blanding. They get back around midnight or after. So it's not that difficult to run it in and back out from Halls Crossing or from camp out in the desert. But you need skilled drivers that don't need spotters and vehicles that can walk the trail without road building. And very little time to take picture or smell the flowers. And ya need to be able to drive at night. No time for side trips like the Rincon or time for maping the trail. The new route adds a bunch of miles and time. Easter Jeep Safari runs it from Moab and list two nights camping at the same campsite.

So that's why I have 3 days for the section in to Cottonwood. That is the famous heep car road folks seem to want to do. Most folks don't care much about the rest over to Bluff. If folks want to stay in Halls Crossing they are welcome. I get up about 6:00 am mountian time and cook breakfast and drink coffee. Then break camp and head out. If you want to go in and out the the same day we'll wave and take yur picture when you go by. And if you have trouble we will be in the area to help. How fast I do it will depend on if folks want to sleep in or set up camp early to cook.

Now I want to map the road so that will take a bit of time. A friend of mine might want to take pictures and map the side trails. Not sure he will go or not. He don't like to cook so unless he gets someone to cook for him he will want to get back out and find a restaurant. And he needs to eat early too and will not run late. I'll have one and maybe both of my sons with me so I might just cook for him too.

But all this is just what if kinda stuff at this point. So if ya want to join any or all of this just let me know. Just tell me in plain english what's on yur mind and we'll get along fine. When we get closer and know what folks are in and for how much we can try to lock things down more.

Kampin 101 Happy style!

The desert is a wounderful thing. The area's we will travel are awsome with views and expanse that have made my head spin. Many times I have topped a rise an thought of pioneers who traveled this area. They would have looked ahead and at the back trail and realize they were gonna die. Now we are gonna do some stuff to make sure that not only do we survive, but we do so with a level of comfort.

First of all the days can be very warm and the nights cold. I dress in layers. My base is jeans and t-shirt. Everytime I stop for a shower I change t-shirt, socks and underware. Bout 1/2 way through I change into my 2nd pair of jeans. And I carry shorts or a third pair of pants for the trip home. I also have a long sleeve sweat shirt. At night I can put on the sweat shirt or I carry a lined jacket with a hood. Or both if needed. And I have cotton gloves in addition to the leather gloves in my winch bag. And I carry a waterproof poncho. The clothes, shave kit, and a towel fit in a small carry bag. The coat, gloves, and poncho are stored for easy access.

I have not found a camp or folding chair more comfortable than the seat in my Ford truck. But I do carry one. Many times when we pull into camp or in the morning you'll see me in my truck. That's cause I'm old and hurtful and the truck seat is nice to set in. But I will be in my camp chair when I cook or at the campfire. Get one that you can set in for an hour or so. Room can be a consideration but not so much I think about this.

I don't always carry an icechest. I can live on canned and dried food. But when I do I like the Coleman Extreme. I drink V-8 juice from the large bottles. I clean them when empty and save for my trips. A couple of days before I leave I fill two of the empty jugs with water, tea, or flavored drink and freeze. You can make meals ahead of time and put then in containers and freeze. Or take meat and portion the way you want and freeze. I use a large container to put the smaller portioned containers in. Then put the frozen drink bottles and single large food contianer in the chest. Then ice cubes around the outside of the containers. That way you don't have to dig in the ice for what you want. The frozen bottles will last about 5 days depending on how much you are in the chest. And they can be used for a cold beverage the last part of the trip. Most times I drink them on the drive home.

I carry water jugs. I have carried bottle water and it is nice. Just a bit of work to keep track and care for the empties. Two small water jugs are best. The large ones are easy to carry home from Walmart but when full the are heavy and difficult to pack around.

You need a good sleeping bag. You don't have to have an expensive one you just need a good one. Quality bags can be had for under $100. No need to spend $2-300. Between now and January they will be closing out on 2010 bags and clearing out inventory for the 2011 bags. Sportsman's Guide, Campmor, and Cheeper than dirt should have some deals. I tose and turn and like a rectangular large bag with a canvas shell. The canvas is heavy and stays closed when I move. You need a bag rated down to at least 0 degrees. A -15 or -30 would be better. Folks may ask why so low when night time temps will mostly be in the 30's-40's. Bags are mostly rated to temps that you will stay alive through. Not what you will be comfortable or what you will sleep well at. And when you hit the bag at night it will be cool. Takes a while to warm up. You can use a heater but thats another thing to carry and if it don't work you don't have a back up. So I just carry a good bag.

If you sleep on the ground you have two things to worry about. First the ground is hard. Second the ground kin suck the heat outa ya. If you use an air matress, and I do when I have a base camp, you will need some thermal protection. That air matress will really suck the heat from you and make it cold. So If I'm at a base camp for a week like in the San Juans I take a second good sleeping bag to put on top of the air matress under my main bag. Now there just ain't no better sleepin than that. Only thing I kin think of would be a nice warm soft friendly womin ta put the tent "up".

I am basicly lazy and my bones hurt most of the time so I don't go to that much trouble every day. On a nomadic trip like this one I stream line things. This time of year places like Ace Hardware are selling the patio chase lounge pads for $20-25. I put my tent up and throw one of those pads down and my bag on top. Sleeps nice and warm. Now if ya have a thremal pad they are great also. But the ycan be pricey. A good thermal pad will cost more than a good bag. Some will say they are what really makes you sleep good and worth every penny. I can't say one way or another as I have never used one.

Bugs bug me when I'm out. Nothing worse to me than a bug buggin me all night. So if you sleep in your truck and bugs bug ya well ya need to do something about it. Ya kin cover the winders with screens or use bug spray ur candle things. I have trouble with sinuses and cain't use bug sprays, so I use a tent. I wait till just before dark when it starts to cool down. I set up my tent with the door and winders closed. After it is set up I just open the door quickly to throw my pad and bag in. Then quickly zip it back closed till bed time.

I use a real canvas tarp under my tent. The plastic ones can be a pain to handle if the wind is blowing. They are not that expensive on line and the last time I was in the Yard Store in Wichita they had them at affordable prices.

I read on another thread bout useing a tarp over the top of a tent to help keep it warm. Many tents I see for sale in KS I can understand this. But if you get a quallity tent to begin with then it's really not needed. A good tent will have a fly that will cover the whole tent and a good size vent in the top. After you go to sleep at night you will breath in cold air. Your lungs will warm the air load it with moisture. When you exhale the warm moist air will go up. If the tent is a good one most of the moisture will go out the vent and condense on the under side of the fly and roll down the outside or in colder weather freeze outside the tent. You'll wake up in the morning to a warm dry tent. In really warm weather if your sure it's not going to rain you can leave the fly off the top. I did this for my last trip accross souther Colorado, NM, AZ and Utah in September.

I like the the Ureka Timberline. I use the 2 man. That is pretty tight fer two full size folks. But if ur young an thin like I was when I was in the service it's not too bad. The 4 person is what I would use for two in the tent but they seem to be a lot more $$$. And for cold weather the smaller tent will be warmer and heat up faster with you in it.

Only thing in my tent is my bed, flashlight, sidearm, timepeice, cell phone, an bed pan jug. No food in the tent. Keep the food in the truck unless ya want wildlife tryin ta get in yer tent.

Before indoor plumbing folks used bed pans at night. My tent don't have indoor plumbing and if it was good enough for folks in the olden days I have no trouble doin like wise. It'd take me most part of an hour ta get out of my bag, git dressed, get out of the tent, water the tree........ur rock, git back in the tent, undress, and git back in bed and get back to sleep. I just carry a large mouth resealable bottle like Gatoraide uses. Only bad part is that it don't work as well for womin folk as it do fer us men. I know a feller who takes his daugter and has a large enough tent to use a real bed pan.

Now when I go I'm a baar. Ya know the sayin dose a bear poop in the woods? There was even a book on it. I .......uh .......poop ya not. http://www.amazon.com/How-****-Woods-Environmentally-Approach/dp/0898156270 I always carry an e-tool with a roll ur two of paper on it just behind my seat.

There are a zillion other things I will think of later. Ya need a few good flash lights and extra batteries. Wet Ones wipes. Matches. I carry camp stove and several bottles of propane. Fire starters. I carry my laptop and screen wipes and canned air for it. Can openers for cans. Knife. Fork and spoon. Plates, paper towels, trash bags. Pots ad pans, ect... if ya cook. First aid kit. Extra tent stakes.

Well my two fingers is tired so I'm gonna stop now. If ya have a question just ask.

Well my fingers are rested and ready to go. Bet cha were sittin around just waitin fer more.

I didn't go over how I pack stuff in my truck. I carry two totes with extra parts, oil, ect... in them. They are the first thing in my truck. I fold the rear seats down and the totes go behind the front seat backs. There is an open space between them and thats where I put my drinks. Cans of pop, v-8 and sometimes bottles of water. On top of one tote goes my clothes bag. On the other is my winch bag. Behind these between the wheel wells is my tool box and little step chest with more emergency stuff in it. In Green my spare tire is upright on the drivers side. Fire wood goes on the tool box and step. It helps hold the spare tire in place so it don't flop as much.

Behind that is my ice chest and food boxes. I have a Snap on box that has two trays in the top. I put my large items in the bottom. Propane botttle, small pot and skillet, jug of bourbon, non stick spray, olive oil, ect. in the larger tray that goes on next I put my coffee cup, flavor crystals, cobbler makins, ect.... The top tray is very shalow and has salt and peper, wet ones, matches, plactic fork and spoons, can opener, ect..... That puts my food and cookin stuf at the back of the truck and easy to get to when I open the rear hatch. My water jugs are also back there. And my camp chair and small table.

Now the first night my tent in it's bag in the back along one side with the canvas tarp. I open the back and throw down the tarp. Set up the tent. My pad and sleeping bag I put in last on top of the ice chest. It keeps the sun off the chest and keeps the ice and cold in longer. So when it cools down I can take the bag and pad and put them in the tent. Pull out my chair and table and head fer the campfire. Maybe take a bundle of wood with me. At night I put my chair and table in the truck. The next mornin I get up and open the back and set up my table and chair and heat water for coffee and breakfast. That's where ya kin find me sittin in my chair drinkin coffee and eatin breakfest. Yer welcome ta bring a cup and chair and join me if ya like. The night do get cool enough to chill beverages. The cans of pop in my truck just behind the console between the totes will be cold. I take my coat and put it on top of those cans and tuck it in. 2-3 in the afternoon when it's hot I can reach back between the seats and under the coat for a cool can to drink. No need for me to get in a ice chest. After breakfest is done I'll put stuff away and dig out somestuff for lunch and dinner. I move that up to the front where I can get at it from the drivers seat so I can eat it when I need to, even while driving the trail. So back gose the stove and food boxes. Then I open my tent and put the sleeping bag on top of the ice chest. I put my pillow in the sleeping bag and close the bag to keep the dust out. The tent can have moisture on it. If I put the fly on it I remove the fly before breakfest and turn it inside out and drape it over something to dry. The tent is the last thing to go in and I put it in loosely on top so it will finish drying out as I go down the road during the day. In very wet weather I will pull it out to open it up and refold to get the traped wet sides out.

Then all day on the trail I can set in my truck and have everything I need with in reach of the drivers seat. Only time I'm in the back is to pull out my chair and table to set around with folks when we noon.

Now this is just one way to do it. I have a friend who sleeps in the back of his truck. He don't carry tools or extra parts. He don't like to cook and just carries a small amount of food that needs cookin fer when he has to. And he loves to crunch ice with is teeth all day. So he's in his ice chest several times a day fer another cup of ice.

Tents!

Ya need a free standing tent and ya need to say "NO" to sleeves. A full cover fly is nice but not required. Full cover on 2 sides is what I have used.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001973&categoryid=11020&brand=

That tent is close but if you click a view without the fly you will see the SLEEVES for the poles to go through at the top. They cause a lot of problems. And the fly is not near big enough. The fly should cover at least two sides very close to the ground.

http://store.eurekatent.com/products/364781/Mountain_Pass_2XTE_Tent

Now thats a very good tent. Kinda high priced for me though. Good full coverage fly and if you click the other view with out the fly you see clips for attaching to the polls. I have a Coleman version of that tent without the vestuble that I used for years and really liked. But it was one of the last ones sold by Coleman and has not been made for over 10 year.

http://store.eurekatent.com/products/365445/Timberline

That is a good tent. I have known folks who have used those for as long as I used my old Coleman. That is a very easy to set up tent. Lots of places sell um and if you do a little shopping you used to find um for down close to $100. I picked my last one up on evil bay.

I like to set the price I spend on a tent at 2 nights stay in a motel room. While I like the $29 rooms they are hard (but not impossible) to find. $55 seems to be what I have to mostly pay. And I know folks who spend $100.

I just try to figure on the tent, and sleeping bags paying for them selves in less than a week.

Sleeping bags!

Was over on Sportsmansguide site and found this: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=LXP&i=183934

Thats the type bag I like. A bit high and more so when you add $10.50 for shipping but it's been a while since I had to buy them. Might wait and see if they get lower between now and the end of January.

While I was over there I looked at tents and they had some really good deals. Found this: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=135808

Eureka has had good zippers in the past and is what I am drawn to. Your in bad shape if your zipper gives you trouble. It will happen but on some tents that is very soon or even on your first outings. I am tempted to buy that one. It is more difficult to set up than the Timberline but for me gettin in the tent from the side like this is easier than getting in and out of the Timberline. They have that tent for 2,3, and 4 people to sleep in. I use a 2 just for me. If another person was gonna be in there I'd need a 3 or 4 person.

I ordered one of those tents and I set it up today and thought I'd write a review on it.

K. This looks to be a very good value for the money. A great spring, summer, and fall tent. But lets face it, for the price, expectations were not at outfiters level. I think it's a good starter tent for folks trying out camping or a good back up to carry along for emergency's.

Two things I can see that I will update. The most important is rings at the bottom 4 corners of the tent. The two polls hook to these as does the fly and tent stakes. They are double loop aluminum wire. They will fail. They are easy and cheap to replace with stainless steel key rings. Second the very top of the tent is held up by a loop of fabric that goes over the two poles and is secured by another peice of fabric with a post in it. That post is too small. Maybe it's just my hands and eyes but I'd like a bigger post.

This is very much like my old Coleman Peak 1 tent. But there are a lot of differences also. My old Peak 1 had a very small vent in the top. This made the Peak 1 great for very cold weather. If it was wet and moisture sealed the tent I had trouble venting the Peak 1 tent. I would have to open the top of the door and widow on the Peak 1. And it was too warm in the summer even without the fly on it. This Eureka has a much larger vent. And the ends are not solid fabric. They are mesh. If I were going to use this tent to camp with low temps in the single digits or low teens I'd need two -15 or -30 bags (one to sleep on and one to sleep in) and a propane or gas latern to heat the tent before I got in it.

It looks to me like they could have sewn another tab and clip into each of the corners. They currently have 3 for each corner and to me 4 would be better.

There are other tents out there for 2-3 times the cost of this tent that should correct some of those little quirks I have with this tent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tomorrow I'm going to call an RV park in Blanding to see if I could store my rig there for a week without having to pay the regular per night RVer rate.

Back