Upper control arms with coil overs and IFS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper control arms with coil overs and IFS

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Who has swapped to coil overs and are still running factory upper arms? Do yours hit the coil at full droop? Are your camber adjusters at 0*?

My issue: Running 5" rcd lift with 14" coils my upper arm will contract the coil on droop. My camber adjusters are at 0, dead center on both sides. Its nice to have a square alignment but now I no longer have room clear the spring. With my old superlift I had the arms pulled out some to get my camber right which helped clear the spring with no issue. I was running 12" springs but have gone to 14" with the RCD kit.

I am considering a set of BTF uppers but am afraid they won't give but so much extra room. My other thought is slot and build camber adjusters for the lower arms. With the lift drop bracket setup it would be easy to fab up since they are now just a hole going through 1/4" plate. Pull the lower arms out 3/8" and pull out the uppers to match and gain clearance. My only concern then is the length of the cv shaft. RCD does use a .25" spacer behind the wheel bearing to cv to help with length but could I squeeze a little more out? A bigger spacer is possible but 3/8" is probably max to still have ample threads on the stub end.

The passenger arms interferes more for sure, driver side only makes light contact. They are both Moog problem solver arms (slightly thicker than factory)

Also I do have limit straps installed but they are installed to limit the suspension from binding which besides the upper arm to spring conflict everything else is happy

20200703_184634.jpg

20200627_182759.jpg

20200629_090338.jpg

20200629_090408.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had read that the BTF UCA's could be had a little longer, which could help with clearance there. But the camber, do you need that extra length to align it?

Yes the btf arms state they are slightly longer so I'd have to move the adjusters back to put the upper ball joint back in the same place. My main question is does the btf arms provide more clearance near the coil vs the moog replacement arms.

the ranger I have downstairs has the BTF uppers, they will give you more clearance at that spring for sure.......much more then stock.

My wifes FJ cruiser the UCA hits her FOX coilover spring too....until we can afford to get some nice aftermarket UCA's I just took a grinder to her stock bits for clearance....been that way for 3+ years.

The BTF arm definitely provides more clearance. Give him a call as to exactly how much. You can move your coil spring in toward the frame if you cut the upper coilover mount and redo it, and welding tabs on the lower further in as well. . I'm in the process of doing that today. As I have some 2.5" x 8" travel sway a way shocks i'm cramming in there. So i cut off the factory shock tower and am welding in the 9" ruff stuff shock towers.

My coil is already pretty close to the frame since I'm running a 5" drop bracket lift. The coil actually touches the frame at droop because of the control arm pushing it in.

Back