Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you still need 4 o2 sensors? You won't have the factory computer looking for the rear pair, and from what I've seen they're mostly there to monitor catalytic converter function. Jah81592 usually turns them off in his tunes. Mine haven't been used in well over a year now with no ill effects.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

He doesn't need them. But since there are four there currently, he can use the extras as spares and plug the other holes.

The biggest advantage to a WB02 is the ability to tune at WOT. So for most trail usage the NB02 would be sufficient.You may even be able to use two of them. I can't remember for sure.

Remember you don't want to run at 14.7 at large throttle angle with load. So that just requires some guesswork or dyno tuning with a tailpipe wideband.
Sweet thanks seafarer76.

And yeah sorry for the confusion - I mentioned four because thats what came stock with the SOHC. I'll be running my own exhaust so I'll be using only two of the four and I guess keep the left over for mini-paperweights :).

seafarer76 - know anything about the spare analog-digital converters on MS2? I would like to use one of them to read the oil pressure sender. Do I just use one of the DB37's unused pins and jump that to the AD6 pin on the PCB?

Some tubes:

moretoobs.jpg

tooobs.jpg

frontoobs.jpg

Also started on the dimple die press, still gotta add some legs and casters.
The jack is a little overkill at 20-tons :).
Most of the material was scrap metal so not all of the plates are the same shape.

press1.jpg

press2.jpg

Can't wait to see those dimples!

Can't wait to see those dimples!
I just remembered I dont need no stinking casters to do some test :). Below are some pics of the 0.75" and 1.5" die.

Top view: the top hole I didnt align right so its offset:
dimple3.jpg

Bottom:
dimple2.jpg

And a close up of the larger hole:
dimple1.jpg

Amazing how much stiffer the sheet has become with those 3 dimples.

Nice dome light!
Thanks! Its from the Martha Stewart collection - called "Crude and Oversized? WTF!", featured in the Spring 2009 "Better Homes and Fabrication" Magazine.
(picture replaced per BKennedy's request)
kittyxbox2.jpg

Please remove Martha. She fills me with the urge to vomit.
Fine...................... Scottish Fold kitty playing XBox for the win!
eek5noes2.gif

tooobs.jpg

Its like looking at the first rockcrawler built by Skynet after it became self aware.

:wedonothaveajawdropsmiliethatissufficientsoillmakeupmyown:

What about this smiley:

gosh.gif

Now that one, I like! :bdrunk:

Yes, I've been @ the FD and it was "social nite" so yes, I had a few...

You guys are crazy .. I thought you would pay more attention to the innocent cat playing X-box, but no, you guys are blind to true awesome. :p:

You guys are crazy .. I thought you would pay more attention to the innocent cat playing X-box, but no, you guys are blind to true awesome. :p:

The cat is awesome but you must have missed the ladder hanging on the wall in all three pictures. Its amazing.

This is a crazy project. Im glad someone is building something this good.

I see the green prisoner van :D

Back