Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread

#'s 13, 14, and 15 pretty much give them leeway to deny a whole bunch of stuff. Do they list anywhere what they will cover?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#'s 13, 14, and 15 pretty much give them leeway to deny a whole bunch of stuff. Do they list anywhere what they will cover?

I zero'd in on this line; 3. "Loss" means all risk of physical damage to the
owned auto or its equipment.

It doesn't stipulate, but since you asked I'll inquire within...

Well I would agree with the Insurance Company if a none issue or recall should be taken care by the manufacturer.

My 325i 2003 just got recalled by BMW NA for taillamps/wiring and that just happened this early September it was put out. Why should an insurance company have to pay for a known issue by a manufacturer, I would expect them to cover it. Just a Bandaid, if I was a insurance company I wouldn't want to pay for it either. Bottom line is, there are ways to save money and at what cost is up to the individual. This is a good deal for me so why not. I have time to make my decision to extend from the manufacturer if I deem warranted. Why pay 2-3k for something that can be applied later on, while I'm still under bumper to bumper by manufacturer. Most of the time you if you know how to complain about it the right way and do your research and know how to word phrases. Believe me you can make a dealer work for you in order to replace a bunch of stuff before manufacturer warranty ends.

I did this with my BMW prior to my warranty expiring, I complained about a faulty NAV screen unit and it was replaced, several other items as well. Again it depends how good a relationship you can build with your Service Advisor and also if you go out of town at a smaller place that can become more familiar with you face to face you can build that repora and make it work in your favor.

Just saying use your IPC skills and you can go very far.

I'm against paying for something that I may or may not use. I'll save 2-5k and use my DIY skills when the time comes. Who saved $500 dollars when his front control arm bushings went out...this GUY! :salute:

This is what the Mechanical Break Down plan is described as:

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is similar to a dealer's warranty but it is usually much more affordable than a car dealership's extended warranty and in some instances covers much more. A $250 deductible applies to each covered loss except when the vehicle is still covered under the manufacturer's basic factory warranty, in which case a $100 deductible applies. It can only be added when the vehicle is a new vehicle, is fewer than 15 months old, the odometer reads fewer than 15,000 miles, and you are the first titleholder of the vehicle. Once purchased, MBI can be renewed for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). This material is intended for general information only. It does not expand coverage beyond the policy contract. Please refer to your policy contract for any specific information or questions on applicability of coverage.

My dealer just offered me the 7yr/100k plan for 1900 and he said (of course) that its better than the Geico plan because it doesnt have a deductible.

After paying $30/year for 7 years for the Geico plan i'd be on the losing end after 7 repairs.

$30 ($15 per 6mo policy) * 7 yrs = $210

$1900(Ford Warranty) - $250 deductible = $1690

$1690/$250 = 6.76 (round up to 7 repairs)

Is it likely that i'd need 7 or more repairs in years 4 through 7?

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is similar to a dealer's warranty but it is usually much more affordable than a car dealership's extended warranty and in some instances covers much more. A $250 deductible applies to each covered loss except when the vehicle is still covered under the manufacturer's basic factory warranty, in which case a $100 deductible applies. It can only be added when the vehicle is a new vehicle, is fewer than 15 months old, the odometer reads fewer than 15,000 miles, and you are the first titleholder of the vehicle. Once purchased, MBI can be renewed for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). This material is intended for general information only. It does not expand coverage beyond the policy contract. Please refer to your policy contract for any specific information or questions on applicability of coverage.

My dealer just offered me the 7yr/100k plan for 1900 and he said (of course) that its better than the Geico plan because it doesnt have a deductible.

After paying $30/year for 7 years for the Geico plan i'd be on the losing end after 7 repairs.

That same $1,900 your dealer quoted is $1,635 at zeiglerfordesp.com with no deductible. You are paying $250 PER repair. IF you want to compare that type of deductible, it is $1,020 for a $200 deductible for the premium care esp.

I'm assuming Geico requires preapproval like most 3rd party warrantees. Also with 3rd party plans, they can and will get the cheapest part possible not always allowing ford genuine parts.

Example, my radiator got a small pinhole in it, the extended warranty company wanted to put a china made radiator in to save $42 over the Genuine Audi radiator. I opted to pay the difference. Any 3rd party is going to look out for their dollar where Ford will always use Ford parts.

And to your last comment, if you have MFT, expect 7+ visits lol.

I guess time will tell, I'll save all my reciepts for services. I'll even catalog the services after factory warranty expires. In years 4-7 we'll come back and compare notes.

Thank you for breaking it down. That warranty you guys just quoted isn't bad for that price, WHICH BY FAR BEATS what any other dealer is offering nationwide. But what made me choose MBI compared to the 4gs they wanted to begin with seem like the better choice at the time. Again this was back early 11' now of course they are giving better deals.

But lets see how normal routine maintenance fares in years 4-7.

I can tell you right now, I haven't had the need for any extended warranty. Just did the services as recommended by dealer and I can honestly say that while I'm hitting 100k miles now on my 325i, I've had (knock on wood) any major breakdown repairs and this is with heavy mods. I've just paid for oil changes, fluid changes, brakes, pads, and so forth and for 8 years worth of ownership I haven't spent more than $3000 at the most in repairs, just in servicing the vehicle. I believe in preventative maintenance and I can say that is why my BMW has been running strong.

That same $1,900 your dealer quoted is $1,635 at zeiglerfordesp.com with no deductible. You are paying $250 PER repair.[/I] IF you want to compare that type of deductible, it is $1,020 for a $200 deductible for the premium care esp.
QUOTE]

$250 per repair? Are you referring to the Ford Warranty or Geico ?

Also, updated my numbers....Should be 1900-210 (cost of Geico plan) not 250.

$1900(Ford Warranty) - $210 = $1690

I looked at the prices on Zeigler for the Ford ESP Premium Care plan and it is about 1/2 of what my dealer quoted me.

Says it will be accepted at any Ford dealership. I was originally a little skeptical, since the price was so much lower, but it looks like the same plan that my dealer is offering.

Is there any reason why I shouldnt buy online from Zeigler?

No reason not to. Im from Canada and would kill for that kind of savings. The best I can get is 2100 for a 7 year premium from a dealer in ME. We aren't allowed to purchase over the internet

That same $1,900 your dealer quoted is $1,635 at zeiglerfordesp.com with no deductible. You are paying $250 PER repair.[/I] IF you want to compare that type of deductible, it is $1,020 for a $200 deductible for the premium care esp.
QUOTE]

$250 per repair? Are you referring to the Ford Warranty or Geico ?

Also, updated my numbers....Should be 1900-210 (cost of Geico plan) not 250.

$1900(Ford Warranty) - $210 = $1690

Geico, you wrote "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is similar to a dealer's warranty but it is usually much more affordable than a car dealership's extended warranty and in some instances covers much more. A $250 deductible applies to each covered loss except when the vehicle is still covered under the manufacturer's basic factory warranty, in which case a $100 deductible applies."

So in that blurb, it says a $250 deductible per covered loss which I'm taking as a covered repair. So everytime you go in for a repair, you have to pay the first $250. I don't really see where the $100 would apply because if it is under warranty, the manufacturer would fix it.

Picked up my 12 Limited on Monday and the dealer wanted 2400.00 for 7 yr 75k premium care. Went online to Zeigler this morning and got 7yr 100k for 1180.00 with 100 dollar deductible.

Should I buy Premium Care?

Just got my Ex Base Tuesday. Looking at the Premium Care extended warranty from Ford and noticed that AC and related components are not mentioned. Lots of parts like "distributor cap and rotor" listed. Not sure these new vehicles still have such parts.

Is the extra protection worth it for a Base mod. Ex? Very few hi-tec goodies to go bad.

I dont think it isworth it fo the base model.

Just got my Ex Base Tuesday. Looking at the Premium Care extended warranty from Ford and noticed that AC and related components are not mentioned. Lots of parts like "distributor cap and rotor" listed. Not sure these new vehicles still have such parts.

Is the extra protection worth it for a Base mod. Ex? Very few hi-tec goodies to go bad.

Premium care is the only level worth buying. Usually referred to as the exclusionary plan. In other words, everything is covered except those few items listed as excluded.

Don't kid yourself, Base models cost allot to repair too! If your going to keep the vehicle then I would buy the extended warranty.

There is a TON of info/threads on this topic so do a search and read the threads and you will gain some insight on pricing and what a good deal is.

But shop around carefully. I was able to find an online deal less than half of what the dealer was quoting me.

Had another look at brochure on Ford site and it listed the AC. Don't know why the first one did not show this.
Think I will go ahead and purchase ESP.

How much is the premium care

Search the board for these types of plans. Ziegler Ford is one of the recommended places to buy online and save tons of money.

Extended Warranty

Hi yall, i'm a new member from San Antonio, Texas. Last week, we received our white 2013 Limited and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on the extended warranty.

My wife works from home and this vehicle will mainly be used for family trips.

Ideally, this question is directed towards 2011 owners and you likely have not passed the 36K mark...but anything is possible so who knows.

For those of you who didn't get the extended warranty, do you regret the decision?

Generally, do you recommend getting it? I didn't finance through Ford so the Gap and EW are cheaper than what Ford offers. The EW will run me $20 more a month and will cover me until 100K/5Y. I know every EW is different, so I don't have the exact specifics "right now"...but I do know the deductible is $50.

Interested to read your thoughts!

Oh right, pictures or it didn't happen right? Only really have one pic of it parked in the driveway to surprise the wifey.

739693_10151233592846033_594447900_o_zpsa29c91c4.jpg

Hi yall, i'm a new member from San Antonio, Texas. Last week, we received our white 2013 Limited and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on the extended warranty.

My wife works from home and this vehicle will mainly be used for family trips.

Ideally, this question is directed towards 2011 owners and you likely have not passed the 36K mark...but anything is possible so who knows.

For those of you who didn't get the extended warranty, do you regret the decision?

Generally, do you recommend getting it? I didn't finance through Ford so the Gap and EW are cheaper than what Ford offers. The EW will run me $20 more a month and will cover me until 100K/5Y. I know every EW is different, so I don't have the exact specifics "right now"...but I do know the deductible is $50.

Interested to read your thoughts!

Oh right, pictures or it didn't happen right? Only really have one pic of it parked in the driveway to surprise the wifey.
Welcome to the Forum cazzy.:wavey:
I bought a Ford ESP from my dealer for $1175. It is a 48 month 80k km (50k miles) leasecare warranty with rental and no deductible. The prices here are much higher than in the U.S.
If you do an Advanced Search on 'ESP' you will find several threads on the subject, Here is one of the most viewed;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323161&highlight=esp

I took out the ESP in part due to all the electronics systems on board the Ex.
Yours looks a lot like mine except you don't have the dual panel moonroof.
Happ motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with 37000 miles on it. It was an early build 10/10. It has been back to Ford dealers 19 times since then. Ford gave me at no cost an extended warranty to 60000 miles because of all my problems. If not for that I would have dumped it before the factory warranty was up. For now, everything works, hooray it only took 20 months for that to happen. Still like the vehicle and may buy a 2014. Lesson #1. never buy a new model in its first week of production!

Back