Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

It was an intentional calculated call. Most people won’t ever notice, and it won’t really cost them much. It wasn’t like they just didn’t get out on. If you want to be fast and loose with it I’d call the entire vehicle a mess.
What is your source for this intentional calculated call?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Logic. I’ve been in manufacturing for 20 years, and have worked in just about every industry. It makes NO sense that it was just forgotten on some. Almost certainly the ones that have it have similar build dates. They knew these were missing, along with the hooks and other junk they couldn’t get put together.

Logic. I’ve been in manufacturing for 20 years, and have worked in just about every industry. It makes NO sense that it was just forgotten on some. Almost certainly the ones that have it have similar build dates. They knew these were missing, along with the hooks and other junk they couldn’t get put together.
So basically you are guessing because you don’t know that to be a fact. Still comes back to Ford messed up. Thanks for your opinion. That was sincere too.

So basically you are guessing because you don’t know that to be a fact. Still comes back to Ford messed up. Thanks for your opinion. That was sincere too.
What’s your opinion? They just forgot?

They were deemed non essential, just like the tow hooks. 80% of them will never get used anyways. Not many people would notice the air dam missing, either. Holding the truck up any longer would have cost them too much.

I guess I could have bought local. However, asking Benny for help on this and other "Left off by Chicago" parts, it was only right that I order from him. Plus, we get a forum discount and it gives the forum an "atta boy."

I guess I could have bought local. However, asking Benny for help on this and other "Left off by Chicago" parts, it was only right that I order from him. Plus, we get a forum discount and it gives the forum an "atta boy."

benny is super helpful. If you don’t know the part number he is really good about hunting things down.

If we look at the Land rover and the Range Rover which at one time we're owned by Ford. They have the Deflector in-between exhaust pipes. I know this is and Aviator / Explorer Forum, But both of these Vehicles design come from the Rover engineers.
Ford hasn’t had a hand in Land Rover in several Gens. While they may be biting their style (Ford TRYING to be a high end Luxury vehicle, spoiler: it’s not) the newest Explorer has nothing to do Land Rovers engineering. Comparing the two are ridiculous. An air deflector has nothing to do with heat buildup. It’s nothing more than a trim item that *may* reduce buffeting air currents under the vehicle.

As far as reliability goes, between the Explorer and Land/Range Rover, I'd take my chances with the Explorer. Land Rover and Range Rover have been vehicles to avoid on several lists I've seen in the past Their reliability is poor at best given their cost.

Peter

What’s your opinion? They just forgot?

They were deemed non essential, just like the tow hooks. 80% of them will never get used anyways. Not many people would notice the air dam missing, either. Holding the truck up any longer would have cost them too much.

If non essential, why have them in the first place then? If they spent time and money designing the part, to me it is essential regardless of how little effect a part may play.

I think that the reply about it being a sound deading part makes the most sense so far.

I think that the reply about it being a sound deading part makes the most sense so far.

That is the whole point of the part. Ford touted that feature of the new Explorer. The material underneath the whole bottom was designed to make the vehicle quieter inside by bouncing the road noise off of it.

That is the whole point of the part. Ford touted that feature of the new Explorer. The material underneath the whole bottom was designed to make the vehicle quieter inside by bouncing the road noise off of it.

I'd love a break down of the noise cancel vs model. I feel like my XLT is a noisy sob, but the higher trims have a lot more to quiet the cabin. Curious what they are. The marketing material lists the firewall being new material, windows, and an active noise cancel system. But is that it? Are the firewall and windows only on the top trims?

What ever Ford did on the ST works. With the tires set to 33 psi, it is crazy quiet on chip rock pavement. Ditto paving bricks. With the massaging seat feature turned on it will lull you to sleep if you're not careful. Now I understand why the "Wake Up Dummy" feature is on by default.

If non essential, why have them in the first place then? If they spent time and money designing the part, to me it is essential regardless of how little effect a part may play.
It’s non-essential as far as the vehicles can obviously be driven without them. It’d have been a financial nightmare had something actually essential to them would have been on short order.

I’m sure it has a function on at least some vehicles, or they wouldn’t add it. Most likely it ended up being a band-aid fix for something found during testing.

.............................. Most likely it ended up being a band-aid fix for something found during testing.
I don't think that is it since all the mounting points/holes were already there. More likely a parts shortage at the time seeing as the part was on back order for those that looked for it after delivery.

Peter

I don't think that is it since all the mounting points/holes were already there. More likely a parts shortage at the time seeing as the part was on back order for those that looked for it after delivery.

Peter
I mean during the design and testing phase, not production. I agree this is almost certainly nothing more than a supply issue.

I just can't believe that Ford continues to release these Explorers with all parts. We should start a class action lawsuit or complain. If one did not know about itchy would not say nor do anything about it. I have been with Ford for 22 year and make me consider when my lease is up to go to another manufacture...
Missing parts.
1-Deflector
2- Tow hook
3-Insulator
Thank God The engine is not missing or steering wheel etc.... Shame on Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just can't believe that Ford continues to release these Explorers with all parts. We should start a class action lawsuit or complain. If one did not know about itchy would not say nor do anything about it. I have been with Ford for 22 year and make me consider when my lease is up to go to another manufacture...
What’s their alternative? Don’t release the cars at all? Take a huge financial bath over inconsequential parts?

Class action lawsuit? Yeah,good luck with that one.

Back