Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not sure if I'll be able to make the official run, but I will be in Moab this wednesday for about a week. What trails are a must/possibility? I'm currently running 31" BFG AT/KO's with TT/AAL and a 3.73 LSD rear. No rock crawling experience. I'll be camping @ Sand Flats Rec. Area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Sand Flats Rec. Area is where Fins & Things is located. Your vehicle is capable and like I mentioned when talking about this trail earlier, you can skip all of the extreme stuff, so if you dont feel comfortable, you don't have to do all of it. It is really fun to experience the great traction and see the inclines you can go up on that sand stone. 3.73s LS and 31s is going to give you enough power for it. I did it with 31s, open diffs, and a higher ratio, so you'll be fine. Since you will already be paying the entrance fee to camp there, you might as well hit that one.

One question for you... You say that you don't have a lot of experience, are you going with someone that has? You'll be a lot better off if you do. If not, you might be able to find a group in the City Market parking lot that will let you tag along. It is nice to have a good spotter with some good advise.

Thanks wasn't completely sure about Fins & Things as it was rated difficult in the Wells book. Now I think I'll have to give it a try. :biggthump:

One question for you... You say that you don't have a lot of experience, are you going with someone that has? You'll be a lot better off if you do. If not, you might be able to find a group in the City Market parking lot that will let you tag along. It is nice to have a good spotter with some good advise.

Going with my sister and about 7 or 8 of her nursing friends :D So no on the experienced rock-crawling thing. Guess I'll end up lurking in the City Market lot. Anything else to do as a skill builder? I've done a few of the trails around me here in CO. such as McAllister Gulch, but no rock crawling as previously stated.

Brian, if a stocker can make it on the Joe canyon thing it sounds like it might be pretty fun to do with ya.

hopefully can find something short on sunday... got have the girlfriend on a bus in Green River Sunday at 5:30 at the absolute latest.

Was also wondering if anyone that has a campsite at canyonlands has room for 2 more, and would like to share the site and costs?

Going with my sister and about 7 or 8 of her nursing friends :D So no on the experienced rock-crawling thing. Guess I'll end up lurking in the City Market lot. Anything else to do as a skill builder? I've done a few of the trails around me here in CO. such as McAllister Gulch, but no rock crawling as previously stated.

There are a lot of campsites in the Sand Flats Area, talk to your neighbors there, make friends and maybe they can show you around. If that fails, try City Market. The problem is, if you do find someone with experience that will let you tag along, they might be doing a more difficult trail. If you can't find anyone to help you out, its not a big deal. Just find some trails in the Wells book that you feel comfortable with and go for it. Just use common sense and you'll be ok even without the experience. (common sense = plenty of water, let family or friends know your plan in case you don't come back, etc.)

That's good advice Dignan.... Have fun Shoggoth pick up a good map and have fun!

JStrider; It looks like I will be full at my site (as long as no one canx's at the minute). Sorry man I pushed everyone that is supposed to come with me for definate answers, so I could check availability for you.

Was also wondering if anyone that has a campsite at canyonlands has room for 2 more, and would like to share the site and costs?

I might also have a campsite issue. I haven't been sure about the Explorer being ready, but I think it is a go, which means I'm going to have to get a campsite now. Hopefully they aren't all booked. It is pretty late now, but I'll have to do some calling in the morning. Its not likely that we'll take the travel trailer since the Explorer can't pull it, and the truck is too long for the trails. So we will just be in a tent and its just the wife and me, so if we can find an open camp site there should be room for two more. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for the input. BTW does anyone know of any shooting ranges in the area? I heard the powers that be are not too keen on out of staters shootingon their BLM lands.

I might also have a campsite issue. I haven't been sure about the Explorer being ready, but I think it is a go, which means I'm going to have to get a campsite now. Hopefully they aren't all booked. It is pretty late now, but I'll have to do some calling in the morning. Its not likely that we'll take the travel trailer since the Explorer can't pull it, and the truck is too long for the trails. So we will just be in a tent and its just the wife and me, so if we can find an open camp site there should be room for two more. I'll let you know what I find.

I am in the same boat- still haven't reserved a site- I'd be glad to split one with you if you want.

A buddy of mine who is following me out to moab called canyonlands campground on tuesday and they told him they had two sites left (tent sites).
You might want to give them a call today to see if they are still available, you can have up to 6 people per site.

Here is Rays "fix"
MVC-009F1.jpg

MVC-008F1.jpg

Can someone tell me who this member is, and if there is any info on the skid plates he made. Obviously I know his name Ray, and I did a search which got me no where.

Thanks,
Chad

hey you guys that dont have a site, I just reserved one at canyonlands, they are all out in the main area so I got one across the creek..

I have room for a few more. If any of y'all want to share a sight let me know

I have it for arriving on May 17, departing may 21st

its 19 per night and for every additional person it will be +4 per night.

i'd like to get some of y'all in it to help defray the costs!

if your interested just send me a PM

JStrider: dude I'm glad you got a site! :) Hopefully that will hook up Dignan and Shagoth. I have room for one more (with a vehicle, they claim two allowed)... so that is always out there.

Chad; that's Ray Lobato's truck... I know, I'm envious of his armor as well. Just PM him and he'll probably get back to you. He's been helpful to me in the past.

Any posting of scheduled trails for the weekend??

Is anybody camping at the Sand Flats Rec area? Where are the other good places to camp seeing as Canyonlands is pretty much full?

Not trying to hi jack the thread but since we are all heading to moab if any of you are interested in these X-ploder parts I no longer need you can have them just post in the link. Ya I said free, I am trying to clean out the garage.
Thnx.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185114

Becker69, I havn't seen any postings for trails yet but I am curious as well. I figured I'd see what trail we are going to run as an Explorer Group then try to plan around it.:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Becker69, I havn't seen any postings for trails yet but I am curious as well. I figured I'd see what trail we are going to run as an Explorer Group then try to plan around it.:p:

I know I was trying to indicate,

Trails to be run = (Hint-Hint) :D :p:

(I know, I have nothing else to do but look forward to Moab and banter about the lack of scheduled 'Serious Explorations' trails which are posted :D ! )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back