Plasti dipped grille | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here is mine

I too left the chrome strips alone but holy crap is it a pain to remove the grille and the chrome

I really like the looks of that, and plan on doing it to my Ruby Red. Think the red/black will look good. Im just curious though, if I want to remove it down the road, how hard it will be to get the PastiDip out of alll those little oval shaped holes. I know it will peel off the smooth parts, but those holes I think might be a pain in the butt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to Plasti Dip, but I decided to bite the bullet and pulled my grill off and took it to a body shop. Its being painted gloss black. Cant wait to get it back.

Update: Grill painted. I like.

Attachments

• IMG_20140829_154446_969.jpg
    IMG_20140829_154446_969.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,151

That looks very sharp on the Ruby Red....nice!

i like the gloss black

heres mine plasti, i went two tone after seeing it with the grill off.

2013exploreplastidipgri.jpg

Plasti Dip Grill

For those who have plasti dipped their grill, how did you mask off your radiator or did you simply remove your grill?

When I did it I removed the radiator cover and then slipped cardboard in between the grill and the radiator. Worked perfectly for me. I did about 5-6 coats and it looks like I just sprayed it and thats after 5 months and the winter road salts.

When I did it I removed the radiator cover and then slipped cardboard in between the grill and the radiator. Worked perfectly for me. I did about 5-6 coats and it looks like I just sprayed it and thats after 5 months and the winter road salts.

Ok cool. I was just trying to see if there was an easier way.... Can you post a pic of yours... :)

Thx

This was taken last summer but it still looks just like this.

whar did you guys cover the ford emblem in?

Painted right over it and then peeled it off.

Has anyone tried to remove the plastidip from the the grille? I am thinking about doing this to mine but if I dont like it I am wondering how easy it will be to peel off when I get to all of those holes on the top and bottom of the grille.

Has anyone tried to remove the plastidip from the the grille? I am thinking about doing this to mine but if I dont like it I am wondering how easy it will be to peel off when I get to all of those holes on the top and bottom of the grille.

From my research, the thicker and higher the number of coats of plasti-dip you apply, the easier it will be to remove. Thinner or few coats are not impossible to remove, but they tend to tear easily and leave one spending a long time removing the dip piece by piece.

I love this look! Im new to the forum! I have the plasti dip and have used it before, I know how I am going to mask the exterior of the grill but don't know how will mask the interior (to protect the radiator without removing grill)

I plastidipped my grill also. It looks great on black on black. I took my grill off to dip. If you want to make it look glossy, just use a can of glossifier on top.

Flat black and chrome

I removed the grill and emblems and plasti dipped the entire thing.
I sprayed the emblem with 4 or five layers of clear coat tint.
I then peeled off the plasti dip from the chrome strips(it is the only chrome left on the car but it goes well with the headlights).

After a 1000 mile roadtrip there are some rock chips.
I only did 3 layers of plastidip (1.5 cans)
I may remove the grille again and strip the plastidip
mask the chrome and paint the grille flat black.

I may also take it to a body shop and have it sprayed (although then I may match the paint)

XzaIwf.jpg

I love this look! Im new to the forum! I have the plasti dip and have used it before, I know how I am going to mask the exterior of the grill but don't know how will mask the interior (to protect the radiator without removing grill)

When I did mine I removed the plastic piece above the grill, which is under the hood and was able to slip in cardboard in front of the radiator so it would not get the overspray. Worked great. Have fun!

The grille looks like it was painted by a professional.

Looks good. I did mine a different way, but a similar result.
I ordered a chrome insert, coated the insert and installed coated piece on the Explorer.
Pictures you ask? Well, of course.

The insert has about 5 coats, and the whole process took about an hour. I waited about 10 to 15 minutes between coats. It has been on since March 15. The day I did the little project it was nice outside, but since dropped to below freezing, gotten wet and muddy and been thru 2 washes with no issues.

The insert may have been overkill, but my plan was to see if I like the black and see if my buddy would paint the chrome insert black, but after seeing the results of the Plastidip, I don't think I will bother.

X_White_zps91591e1d.jpg

X_Chrome_zpscb9d73b3.jpg

InsertDipped_zps82c63bb7.jpg

X_Black_zps86cd961b.jpg

Looks great. That was a good idea to just buy an overlay and then paint it. The chrome overlay looks better than the base grille and looks even better painted. Where did you purchase the overlay grille?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back