Torque Monster headers making comeback ??? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster headers making comeback ???

I am glad these headers are available! I am glad others still take an interest in these rigs.

(edited by Admin) I called someone an idiot for telling me what my opinion is or should be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe he's the one who paid $960 for the rusty used set on ebay. I'd be a little salty too.

Factory manifolds suck for performance but they build a ton of torque at 1200 rpm.

My opinion of these headers is that are they are too expensive for the gain received. I see a peaky power curve in the posted dyno results and I would like to see them back-up the claim of 21MPG? I disagree with anyone telling me my build would be better off with these headers. If you take-out the quick peak in torque around 2,000 RPM there is about 28ftlbs gain and that drops again around 3,300 RPM significantly. It is great that they posted the stock and after header power curves because you can see exactly what you will get across RPMS with their product on a stock X 5.0

This is what I built in the past and usable power "curve" or lack of curve I am after for my "X":
dyno-121812.jpg

Explorer x-charger used factory exhaust manifolds..... TMH or obx would add a minimum of 30+hp to a supercharged setup

Factory works....that's about it,

For an engine that makes 230hp+ in the 93-95 Cobra version(only the cam is different, very minor), the factory exhaust is choking over 30+hp from the stock engine.

I have no use for the stock manifolds, or cat pipes, or single muffler system, or the puny 1.5" TM headers. I wouldn't put them on a stock engine, knowing how many hours they take to install, plus the gaskets leaking(more time etc). Give me six months, I'll show you a stock Explorer 302 with an actual big exhaust, and test results. Maybe a fine example will inspire others to do it too, and stop wasting big money on puny headers.

For an engine that makes 230hp+ in the 93-95 Cobra version(only the cam is different, very minor), the factory exhaust is choking over 30+hp from the stock engine.

I have no use for the stock manifolds, or cat pipes, or single muffler system, or the puny 1.5" TM headers. I wouldn't put them on a stock engine, knowing how many hours they take to install, plus the gaskets leaking(more time etc). Give me six months, I'll show you a stock Explorer 302 with an actual big exhaust, and test results. Maybe a fine example will inspire others to do it too, and stop wasting big money on puny headers.

Your first point:
I agree having experienced/owned both and having looked at both cam profiles in Desktop Dyno. It's a little less than 30hp though as the Cobra cam is more aggressive and designed for horsepower in the lighter Stang. Maybe 25hp

Secondly,
Ya man, go for it! If you think it's worth your time and effort. It's about fitting the Explorer, we already know that well engineered and built long, large tube headers produce more horsepower and torque at mid to high RPM's. You wrote "actual big exhaust", yes there's more it than headers to get more flow and would require complete new exhaust for a go real fast build.

And you'd be MUCH better off with a proper set of headers. Enough said...[/QUOT

Why would I be better off and what are your credentials/knowledge/authority on these engines to know? There was not "enough said" and I won't be dismissed by you

Your first point:
I agree having experienced/owned both and having looked at both cam profiles in Desktop Dyno. It's a little less than 30hp though as the Cobra cam is more aggressive and designed for horsepower in the lighter Stang. Maybe 25hp

Secondly,
Ya man, go for it! If you think it's worth your time and effort. It's about fitting the Explorer, we already know that well engineered and built long, large tube headers produce more horsepower and torque at mid to high RPM's. You wrote "actual big exhaust", yes there's more it than headers to get more flow and would require complete new exhaust for a go real fast build.

I've mentioned my plans here and there, but most people don't want to hear it again unless it's done. Simply, 3" dual exhaust, two mufflers, and two tail pipes, on the stock vehicle/engine first.

I'll do the KB 2200 blower I have eventually, but not before a decent exhaust. The GT40P heads have to go, that unique plug location sucks. So GT40 heads rebuilt, with EGR pipe fitting, V-band clamp collectors, and all joints. I'm aiming towards TFS High Port 225 heads eventually, their raised 3/4" exhaust ports might help the manifolds a bit too(easier to make fit).

@rcpasq

Hi Bob. It's good to hear from you again. Hope you are doing well. :)

Would you ever consider developing a simple set of "budget" mild steel 1 5/8" short tubes headers for 5.0 explorer and ranger swaps?

Seems like it would be less labor intensive to produce than tmh and is in more demand than an all-out high quality mid length 1 1/2" design. Something in the $350-400 price range?

Your thoughts?

HED-88400_ml.jpg

@rcpasq

Hi Bob. It's good to hear from you again. Hope you are doing well. :)

Would you ever consider developing a simple set of "budget" mild steel 1 5/8" short tubes headers for 5.0 explorer and ranger swaps?

Seems like it would be less labor intensive to produce than tmh and is in more demand than an all-out high quality mid length 1 1/2" design. Something in the $350-400 price range?

Your thoughts?

HED-88400_ml.jpg

Thank you and everyone else on the forum. It's good to be back...

On Headers with 1 5/8" tubes question... it's extremely restricted in how much Header you can stuff into the Explorer/Mountaineer engine bay. The Headers you have pictured are for a vehicle with more room in the engine bay. Before Torque Monster Headers, there were no 4 into 1 Headers available. They also fit both spark plug angles of the GT40 and GT40-P heads. The Headers were also tested for the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and are emissions legal in all 50 states. There are 6 other states that follow CARB rules. Saved on a lot of legislation in their states.

However, a few years back we did develop a pronto type torque-step (1 1/2" to 1 5/8") set of Headers. I sold them to a gentleman in New York and he promptly put them on his living room wall and said, "These are too nice to install". Not sure if he ever used them.

I realize that it's about economics and what people can afford. As far as cutting the price to $300-$400, we would need to have them built overseas (i.e. China, India, Vietnam, etc.). We design our own stuff from scratch in the USA and build on it from there.

However, some companies/people will steal designs/ideas and go overseas to have them built for the price range you're suggesting. They also don't get them tested, go around CARB and save on not having to pay for American labor.

Torque Monster Headers is a registered trademark with the U.S. Trademark & Patent Office.

Thank you and everyone else on the forum. It's good to be back...

On Headers with 1 5/8" tubes question... it's extremely restricted in how much Header you can stuff into the Explorer/Mountaineer engine bay. The Headers you have pictured are for a vehicle with more room in the engine bay. Before Torque Monster Headers, there were no 4 into 1 Headers available. They also fit both spark plug angles of the GT40 and GT40-P heads. The Headers were also tested for the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and are emissions legal in all 50 states. There are 6 other states that follow CARB rules. Saved on a lot of legislation in their states.

However, a few years back we did develop a pronto type torque-step (1 1/2" to 1 5/8") set of Headers. I sold them to a gentleman in New York and he promptly put them on his living room wall and said, "These are too nice to install". Not sure if he ever used them.

It would make sense to design a 1 5/8" header for just a "normal" plug angle. GT40p are the only head designed with a straight plug angle and are limited when making big power and restrict where the primaries can exit because of it. The TMH's are well suited for a 302 motor with gt40p's with max rpm +/-5,000rpm and stock gearing. No complaints there. We really just need something bigger for Aluminum Heads. They do make shorty 1 3/4" headers fit on sbf heads.

The Ford Motorsport headers were 1 5/8". If you added 3 more primaries to those with a 4-1 collector (or even a tri-y style) we'd be golden. There is room.

5.jpg

The headers I posted earlier are Hedman 88400's and someone HAS fit them on a 2wd mountaineer by modding one primary that was contacting the passenger side motor mount. Not a far stretch to make them 1 5/8th" and re-position the collector two inches to the oem position for clearance for 4wd.

I realize that it's about economics and what people can afford. As far as cutting the price to $300-$400, we would need to have them built overseas (i.e. China, India, Vietnam, etc.). We design our own stuff from scratch in the USA and build on it from there.

However, some companies/people will steal designs/ideas and go overseas to have them built for the price range you're suggesting. They also don't get them tested, go around CARB and save on not having to pay for American labor.

Torque Monster Headers is a registered trademark with the U.S. Trademark & Patent Office.

Sounds like if you did design a simple shorty header your biggest concern is China copying them. We seen them try to copy TMH's with very poor results mostly due to there complicated design (to your credit) but they are difficult to install and access the bolts. I'd cut to the head of the line for any soapbox to promote USA made products wherever there is one but sometimes we have to work with the world we're dealt. But I can see it's a real threat to would-be profits and understand that. Even if you did make an American made set with the same quality you've put into the TMH's, $1,200 would not be an unfair price considering the circumstances.

If I had the capital, I would pay someone to custom make a set then find a China producer to recreate and make enough to fill a shipping container, then sit back and take orders on ebay (giving the designer his cut of course). I'd tell the producer they are 302 Feiro swap headers (or something) in case they tried to copy them right away. They wouldn't be to sell more then 3 set if they tried(all returned of coarse) lol. But the initial volume of the order is what would make or break profits. Obviously, the more you order, the cheaper to produce. If a would-be chinese butthead were to copy them they would have to make a lot more than a 300 "feel out" run to compete. On the other hand, they'd have to be designed to fit gt40p's as well if you wanted to ever sell more than 300 sets. Good thing is you don't even need to pay for advertising either when you have word of mouth from enthusiast's on sites like explorerforum, therangerstation, ford-trucks and people just searching for 5.0l explorer/ranger headers ebay.

I dunno, just some thoughts. We're all in an unfavorable position but there is a demand for them (as you can see) and an opportunity to make money if you can stop China from cutting in, but I'm sure you'll think of something Bob. We're all counting on you so don't let us down! :bounce:

:thumbsup:

P/N: 9601-50-EX-0 1996 to 1997-1/2 (early '97 model until build date 12/96) Internal EGR system only.
Headers are "Smooth Tubes" (GT40 Heads) $789 plus $100 Shipping & Handling, $889 total.

P/N: 9601-50-EX-1 1997-1/2 to 2001 (from build date 01/97 to 2001) External EGR is required and a New modified
EGR tube comes with the Headers. (GT40-P heads), $889 US plus $100 US Shipping & Handling, $989 US total.
P/N: 9601-50-EX-0 1996 to 1997-1/2 (early '97 model until build date 12/96) Internal EGR system only.
Headers are "Smooth Tubes" (GT40 Heads) $789 plus $100 Shipping & Handling, $889 total.

P/N: 9601-50-EX-1 1997-1/2 to 2001 (from build date 01/97 to 2001) External EGR is required and a New modified
EGR tube comes with the Headers. (GT40-P heads), $889 US plus $100 US Shipping & Handling, $989 US total.

97-5.0,
Not sure where you got your shipping numbers from but, the Torque Monster Headers website says $60 for shipping and NOT $100. We do not need people passing mis-information... Thank you.

Robert Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

@rcpasq I tried emailing Robert about this more than a week ago but haven't received a response. I recently had to smog my Mountaineer with the TM headers and this time around I was almost failed for not having a sticker with the headers' part number and CARB executive order number. The smog shop said that it's a fairly new requirement for any aftermarket part to require a sticker on the part or on the vehicle with this information. Has anyone ever gotten a sticker with their headers? Or heard of this requirement? I was finally able to convince the shop that they're legit after showing them the EO on CARB's website which has the matching part number to the tag on the headers.

I know the MAC air intake needs the CARB EO sticker attached or you will fail. However I thought the plate on the headers was good enough. I would prefer to have a sticker if I can get one since I just moved back from WA to CA. MAC was nice enough to send me a sticker after sending picture proof of having the MAC intake.

Robert Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

Hello Robert can I send you a picture and then purchase a replacement EO sticker?

the headers have the carb certification stamped right on them? little placard on the drivers side tube..........

Have written Robert last week ( 07/07/20) asking about a set of headers...no word back yet hoping they are still available

The headers don’t have the CARB executive order number D-589 on them, just the Torque Monster part number. The smog shop told me both are needed, or if not on that placard then on a sticker.
And yeah I have the Mac intake as well, the sticker provided with that has all the information needed.

geeesh that sucks, after all Robert went through with the great state of CA to get them Carb certified and its still not enough.............years later they change whats required.

CA emissions SUCKS for us hot rodders

Back