• Register Today It's free!

92 EB Ex build.

11BEx

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Bragg
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie Bauer
Hey yall, just got my hands on this 92 explorer EB edition. This will be my build thread, it'll be fairly quick if everything goes according to plan.

Goals are to turn this into a very reliable DD, mild off road / camping rig.

A4LD
3.27 gears
4x4
163k miles. (allegedly)

As it sits its all stock besides a head unit and the fishing pole rack. Previous owners bought it in 1996 and had it until I purchased her. They took very good care of it, and thankfully it's a southern truck so no rust!! It looks fantastic under neath, still has the factory rust coating on the frame.

Needs an alignment, front brakes, coolant temp gauge working and the fuel gauge and a few other small things before it's in solid. I

did drive it 3 hours down the highway after purchase and it did fantastic. Ac blasting and cruise.

20180903_134613.jpg

20180903_134623.jpg

20180903_134633.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice find. Welcome to the forum:chug:

Nice find. Welcome to the forum:chug:

Thanks man! Glad to be here. I've learned a lot just from creeping, excited to take everything and put it to work.

Decided to tinker around today for a little bit and fixed the sticker transfer case motor. A couple taps with a hammer got it to finally engage 4x4 and low so thats cool. I also noticed that i have a factory fog log option, but im not sure if it actually works. i traced the fog lights up front and they have a pig tail into the ford wiring harness, plus a ford switch in the cabin. im curious if they even work. the housing says h2 bulbs but they dont seem like itll fit.

also, i discovered the front rims get incredibly hot after driving. i may have sticker calipers which is super annoying, especially if its both sides of the truck. not a cheap fix. both front soft lines have been replaced recently so thats a good thing.

Looks like the headlight lenses could use a good cleaning.

Decided to throw my roof rack on the explorer. Drilled a hole and mounted my camping shovel / ratchet strapped my spare to the top as well. Next I need to figure out a mounting system for my hi lift that's secure and theft proof.

Also, I found the 3M head light restoration kit for ten bucks on Amazon. Gave it a shot and I think it worked wonders given that the housings are factory and 26 years old. Led bulbs coming soon.

After that was said and done I took the old girl down a few fire breaks here on base to test the 4wd and took some poser flex pics haha. This weekend I'll do some DIY quick disco for the front sway bar. Ive owned a bunch of Jeeps before this and learned an easy way to make them. I'll make a write up if anybody is interested.

Anyways, enjoy the pics! The fishing pole mount is coming off soon too.

20180906_184410.jpg

20180906_184419.jpg

20180906_184440.jpg

20180906_184447.jpg

Ended up hitting the tan portion with bed liner, and painted some of the faded black trim back with rattle cans I had laying around. Also decided to use some under coat, there's no rust so I'm trying to keep it that way.

I also discovered that the previous owner had installed a good sized trans cooler, makes me thing that it has been rebuild at least once in its life time. Fluid is light pink so I know it's time for a filter change. Gonna hit all the fluids as soon as I get a chance. Also needs brakes in the worst way. Old girl is gonna nickel and Dime me to death

Driving to work this morning, the gas pedal decided to stick to the floor. I managed to pull over and kill the explorer. After working the pedal a few times with my hands after it was shut off I was able to free it up and continue my drive to work. Later on this afternoon on my way home it got stuck to the floor again, I did the same thing and as soon as I worked it by hand I had no more issues. Any ideas what the issues could be?

I had a similar issue with mine. All it ended up being was a crack in the foam on the firewall, that the gas pedal arm was getting stuck in. Threw some black duct tape over it and it was good

Don’t know if that’s what’s going on here, but it’s worth taking a look at

I had a similar issue with mine. All it ended up being was a crack in the foam on the firewall, that the gas pedal arm was getting stuck in. Threw some black duct tape over it and it was good

I didn't see anything weird down by the pedal, I'll peek around some more and see if that's the case. I did the zip tie mod to the throttle cable, and then the other day I took the 4.0 engine cover off. I think I might have put it back on sideways or something and pinched the cable. Took it off, gonna drive it tomorrow and see if that's the issue.

I'll check out the foam piece though. Thanks for the heads up

Driving to work this morning, the gas pedal decided to stick to the floor. I managed to pull over and kill the explorer. After working the pedal a few times with my hands after it was shut off I was able to free it up and continue my drive to work. Later on this afternoon on my way home it got stuck to the floor again, I did the same thing and as soon as I worked it by hand I had no more issues. Any ideas what the issues could be?

I figured out my issue, on the intake tube there is a inner ring that connects to the throttle body where you tighten it down.. Apparently it had rotted apart from the tube and was floating around inside. When I would give it gas it got lodged in the butterfly causing the throttle to stick wide open. Problem solved

Decided to tackle some maintenance that I had been putting off for awhile.. It's hot as hell still in NC so laying on my back in the beating sun isn't my idea of a good time.

Anyways, changed front rotors, wheel bearings, cleaned the auto hubs up and re greased them. I'm still having a slight spongey feeling pedal though. Might need rear shoes / drums or the lines bled. I can hear the "whoosh" sound when I apply the pedal. Might have a caliper that's dragging as well, the rims are pretty hot to the touch after driving sometimes.

Last thing was a new trans filter and dumping about a gallon of fluid out with it. Pan looked good, no metal shaving, just the usual fine metallic dust of normal wear. Fluid was a light pink, didn't smell terrible either. Gonna order an external filter setup soon, I want this ol girl to last a long time. Next weekend is the axles and transfer case drain and fill. Hopefully I remember to take pictures this time, I was covered in grease most of the day and didn't wanna mess with my phone.

Had a few updates recently on the old girl..

I tore the dash apart to fix a burnt out light / replace with LEDs, well in my rush to get it done I didn't reconnect one of the plugs in the back of the cluster. my oil pressure gauge didn't work and I was showing about 12V on my Amp gauge. Ended up killing my battery, so I went on a electrical grimlin hunt.. Replaced my alternator and upgraded from 95 to 130amp one (she had the original motor craft one from 92 still on) cut and replaced the terminal ends bc I had the original ones as well and they weren't full of corrosion.
Long story short, because that plug wasn't connected properly I had these issues. I took the dash apart, and found it hanging halfway out. Snapped it in and my Amp gauge went back to normal and my oil pressure was alive again. Amazing. I also tried to rig up my Anti Slosh module to fix the fuel gauge but nothing worked out. Might need a new one and a sending unit. But that's for another time

20181004_163723.jpg

20181004_164513.jpg

20181004_164720.jpg

20181004_170242.jpg

Seen a similar situation, the cable wore itself through the sheath and was being pinched. JY trip, a little dry Silicone in the tube... fixed that issue!

*Subscribed*

That "whoosh" that you hear when you apply the brake pedal almost sounds like a leaking Power Brake Booster. It could have a hole in the big rubber diaphragm.

That "whoosh" that you hear when you apply the brake pedal almost sounds like a leaking Power Brake Booster. It could have a hole in the big rubber diaphragm.

I really hope not. Never changed a booster before but doesn't look enjoyable laying under the dash.

The joys of owning a truck that's 26 years old and making it a daily drivers

Ordered four new speakers and the speaker adapters last night, should be in tomorrow at some point. The PO tried to run new wires to each speaker but gave up halfway thru, now only one works and it's factory so my morning commute is miserable with one blown speaker. Gotta do some investigation and see why he didn't use the factory harness. If it ends up being a mess I might get my hands on a four channel Amp and run my speakers thru the Amp. Stay tuned!

Ordered four new speakers and the speaker adapters last night, should be in tomorrow at some point. The PO tried to run new wires to each speaker but gave up halfway thru, now only one works and it's factory so my morning commute is miserable with one blown speaker. Gotta do some investigation and see why he didn't use the factory harness. If it ends up being a mess I might get my hands on a four channel Amp and run my speakers thru the Amp. Stay tuned!

Wow what a mess. Looks like I'm skipping the wiring headache and just running new wires to a cheap 4 channel Amp and calling it a day. Previous owner went to town on the factory wiring, only half of the truck works. Lots of black tap and butt connectors.

My speakers did come in though, they look pretty solid for 17 bucks off Amazon. Time to order a marine grade amp now.

20181006_121516.jpg

20181006_121545.jpg

20181006_121549.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely going to be following this.
I'm just finishing dropping an engine into my explorer. All i've done so far is replace all. The front end stuff and installed some JBL speakers.

Back