Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread

My concern is the "brain" being a Miscrosoft product and the fact that it is basically a PC with a shelf life. Any ideas what it would cost to replace the Mytouch system if it went belly up after 36k? Is it something that can be done outside the dealership?

Good and fair question, Bill1234. I don't have an answer. But we can garner some of the "answer" be analyzing the prices currently being offered by the insurance companies now. And if they move up in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill,

These new Explorers have so much technology that can go bad over time that an ESP covering the tech alone would be a wise choice IMO. The rest of the issues would just be gravy.

I currently own a BMW 330i and when the idrive system (computer that runs the radio, nav, bluetooth) goes down, it costs $1,500 to repair. I know because it has happened once at ~75,000 miles.

The real question is if the ESP will cover these exact type of issues. A good question for the people at Ford.

Remeny, I agree. But what about the other 9 BMW owners who have the ESP and no issues with the iDrive system?? Can you say, "cha-ching" for the insurance company?:)

Remeny, I agree. But what about the other 9 BMW owners who have the ESP and no issues with the iDrive system?? Can you say, "cha-ching" for the insurance company?:)

Sure, but that won't make me feel any better having to drop $1,500 when my system fails. There is a lot of new technology in these vehicles that have very little real world testing done in them and I'd rather pay $1,500 over time instead of all at once. I realize that day may never come, but the "insurance" is worth it to me. And right now we're just talking about issues that could go wrong with the tech side...

Understand the comments against the ESPs, but I have had some small things add up in my old explorers. My 07 needed a new Evap canister solenoid which was a few hundred (check engine light on and not covered under normal emissions warranty and won't pass emissions test around here). Also had a wheel hub go on an 03, some AC compressors...it can add up.

Glad someone mentioned the Maintenance plans, but my dealer usually has some great coupons on their websites and in the mail for the maintenance. I don't think I have paid more than $25 for a "the works" oil change/tires/fluids/lube, etc in the last 4 years with my 07. The oil is almost worth that alone.

Wouldn't the advantage of getting your dealer to match the ESP be that you could roll it into the loan you take on the car?

I purchased it for the simple reason is now I have nothing to worry about for 100,000 miles. For the $1500, or whatever it costed me, it's peace of mind. If your AC system breaks down or you blow a tranny, you could eat up that $1500 and more FAST!

I purchased it for the simple reason is now I have nothing to worry about for 100,000 miles.

You still need to "worry about" the fact that they may deny a claim. Not out of the question, since insurance companies are trained to do this.

Unless you mod your Explorer, they aren't going to deny coverage. I have had extended warranties on our vehicles for the last 22 years. Never once have I been denied coverage for a warranty issue. If you make mods to increase performance, you run the risk of things breaking. If it breaks, own up to it. Don't try to return it to stock so the manufacturer will cover the repair. Fraud is not honerable. If you wanna play . . . .

It's insurance pure and simple. If it makes you feel better, get it. If not, that's fine too. Just know that it may cost more than the coverage. Personally, I'm with Bill1234. There are a lot of electronics on this vehicle. For what coverage costs, I believe it's a wise investment. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

I'm going to have all oil changes and stuff done by them. I'm beyond the stage of my life where I feel I have to do everything on my own to "Make sure it's done right". Not to mention, for example, my local dealer sells the Motorcraft wiper blades for $10 each...I can't go to Autozone and buy them that cheap.

Hey all,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I would like to confirm that you are able to purchase a Ford ESP after you purchase the vehicle. However, this should be done while the vehicle is still under bumper to bumper warranty. The ESP start date will default back to the bumper to bumper warranty start date. For more information about the ESP’s available, check out www.FordOwner.com, there you can review the plans and choose which would suit your needs best. You may contact the ESP sales service center at 800-367-3377, with any further questions. If there is anything I can do for you, let me know!

Seni

Wow, Seni, that was a VERY GOOD information. I was already wondering if the ESP could be purchased after taking the delivery. I was told I could get the ESP after but DID NOT know that it has to be done before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires (i believe it's 3yr/36,000 miles?), so I have at least 3 years to think about it. Thanks.

Edited: Wait...is ESP same as the extend warranty or just for maintenance services?

ESP is for the warranty. You can add MPs to it or buy that seperately.

Some of the folks above with the quotes from your dealers, why not print out the other price sheets from the links posted here and show it to your dealer and get them to match.

Can anyone confirm they will roll this into the car loan if you purchase from your dealer or is it still a seperate one time payment or payment plan? Only reason I can see to "price match" with your dealer is to make it less complicated payments-wise. If they won't, purchase over the net/phone.

fordwarrantys.com is still overpriced..

For anyone intersted, email jhawley@tworiversford.com. His name is Joel

I believe he is the finance manager. He sells all Ford ESP's for $100 over his cost. When I bought my warranty for my F250 diesel, he quoted me for the gasser by mistake. Long story short, he honored that price and took a $300 loss on it (diesel is a $400 upcharge).

For example.

fordwarranty.com - On their website, a 7yr/125,000 mile extended with first day rental, premium care is $2,304. That is REDICULOUS

Joel will sell the 6yr/125k warranty, $50 deductible, first day rental, premium care for $1,600. Obviously the shorter term, shorter mileage and/or higher deductible will lower the price.

The way thiings are going with the MFT, heck, one major repair will be more then the $1,600.

I am not affiliated with Joel, nor do I personally know him or making any type of commission or benefit from this.

I don't think any dealer would take a $300 loss because of an ESP misquote.. but he did and I will always buy my ESP's from him regardless on whether my dealer would match it.

You can also do the 0% financing on it. I had to give 10% down and then the rest were broken up into equal payments.

Anyone thinking of getting it later, the price goes up $200 once you have gone past the 1st yr or 12,000 miles

If you could, please let him know Brian referred you to him. It's just my way of saying thanks for standup service.

Blwnsmoke,

I had an email convo with Joel (thanks for the referral) and he said for 125,000/7 years PremiumCare with 1st day rental the price is as follows:

7yr/125K $1900

$50 Ded $175

Total $2075

I apologize, I misquoted. i pulled up my email from him in Jan and thought it was a 7 yr but he quoted me 6.

I edited my post to correct. Here is our conversation when I inquired.

5yr/100k $100 ded $1,100
Add $455 for $0 ded
Add $125 for $50 ded

6yr/125k $100 ded $1,600
Add $575 for $0 ded
Add $175 for $50 ded.

This does include first day rental.

Again, sorry for posting incorrectly, was going off memory from 2 months ago.

I apologize, I misquoted. i pulled up my email from him in Jan and thought it was a 7 yr but he quoted me 6.

5yr/100k $100 ded $1,100
Add $455 for $0 ded
Add $125 for $50 ded

6yr/125k $100 ded $1,600
Add $575 for $0 ded
Add $175 for $50 ded.

No problem and again, thanks for the excellent referral. You just saved me some $$ I do believe.

ESP is for the warranty. You can add MPs to it or buy that seperately.

Some of the folks above with the quotes from your dealers, why not print out the other price sheets from the links posted here and show it to your dealer and get them to match.

Can anyone confirm they will roll this into the car loan if you purchase from your dealer or is it still a seperate one time payment or payment plan? Only reason I can see to "price match" with your dealer is to make it less complicated payments-wise. If they won't, purchase over the net/phone.

You can roll it into the loan but then you pay interest on it. You are better off paying 10% of the esp and then using Fords 11 equal paymebts, no interest option if one can afford it.

So the 1,600 option woukd be $160 down(10%) then $1440 divided ibto 11 payments, no interest.

You can roll it into the loan but then you pay interest on it. You are better off paying 10% of the esp and then using Fords 11 equal paymebts, no interest option if one can afford it.

So the 1,600 option woukd be $160 down(10%) then $1440 divided ibto 11 payments, no interest.

Glad I could help.. Ill be buying mine in a few weeks from him.. the damn "awaiting shipment" status.

5yr/100k $100 ded $1,100
Add $455 for $0 ded
Add $125 for $50 ded

6yr/125k $100 ded $1,600
Add $575 for $0 ded
Add $175 for $50 ded.

Yesterday you told me I didn't get a good deal on my 6 year 100k bumper to bumper for $1500.....and the 5 year 100k posted by you above is more than that. I guess I did forget to mention, I have no deductible. Seems from those prices I did...at least for what fits me because I won't put on 125K in 6 years.

What are the feelings on deductibles? Seems like anything over $100 isn't worth it. Do people like $50 or $100?

What are the feelings on deductibles? Seems like anything over $100 isn't worth it. Do people like $50 or $100?

Kind of a personal thing based on what you don't mind parting with at the time. Lower is always better, but what do you pay in the long run for it? The way I look at it is this is a first year production car. We're going to be the real testers for this vehicle and I'd rather have a $50 deductible because of the uncertainty.

I like no deductible. I just actually dropped my comprehensive deductible to $100. We had a hail storm a couple weeks ago, and Dora had to sit outside, and I thought....gosh, it would tick me off if I had to spend $500 on a deductible for something I can't even control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i traded in my Mazda 3 for my 2004 XLT 4x4 fully loaded (leather, power seats, moonroof etc) and they wanted 17k for the Ex at the dealer. With that being said, they gave me 14k for my Mazda, and honestly i thought paying the extra $3k was more than worth the trade in (ex had 59k, beautiful condition) BUT i managed to get the ESP up to 4yr/48k with $100 deductible.

SO if you figure that into everything, i paid $3k for my ESP. Ive already had to get my drive shaft replaced which took a good amount of labor. I'd say it almost paid for itself already (thinking off it costing me $3k)

ALL IN ALL...ITS WORTH IT!

EDIY-question though, maybe for Seni or if anyone else knows. I'm starting to get the blend door issues with my HVAC system, as well as my heat isn't blowing hot anymore (only warm). I feel as if the latter issue is the heater core which is a separate problem than the blend door, so if i bring it in for service will i only pay $100 deductible? Or is it $100 per issue? If it' $100 combined, i'm going to try and wait until something else goes wrong to save myself some more cash haha

Back