Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread

What are the feelings on deductibles? Seems like anything over $100 isn't worth it. Do people like $50 or $100?

With my F250, I have a $50 ded and I find myself putting off going in for minor issues because I dont want to soend the $50 lol. I wait till i have a couple issues to get it all done for one charge. Example, my backlight for my 4wd console doesnt light up anymore, Im not going to pay $50 just for that, Ill wait.

Now if I had the $0 ded, Id bring it in for every little issue and take the rental. But you have to take into account the price difference. $400 more for $50 to $0 deductible means you have to go in 8 times just to break even and I dont forsee 8 visits outside the bumper to bumper period.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i traded in my Mazda 3 for my 2004 XLT 4x4 fully loaded (leather, power seats, moonroof etc) and they wanted 17k for the Ex at the dealer. With that being said, they gave me 14k for my Mazda, and honestly i thought paying the extra $3k was more than worth the trade in (ex had 59k, beautiful condition) BUT i managed to get the ESP up to 4yr/48k with $100 deductible.

SO if you figure that into everything, i paid $3k for my ESP. Ive already had to get my drive shaft replaced which took a good amount of labor. I'd say it almost paid for itself already (thinking off it costing me $3k)

ALL IN ALL...ITS WORTH IT!

EDIY-question though, maybe for Seni or if anyone else knows. I'm starting to get the blend door issues with my HVAC system, as well as my heat isn't blowing hot anymore (only warm). I feel as if the latter issue is the heater core which is a separate problem than the blend door, so if i bring it in for service will i only pay $100 deductible? Or is it $100 per issue? If it' $100 combined, i'm going to try and wait until something else goes wrong to save myself some more cash haha

It is $100 per workorder, not per issue.

Wow, Seni, that was a VERY GOOD information. I was already wondering if the ESP could be purchased after taking the delivery. I was told I could get the ESP after but DID NOT know that it has to be done before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires (i believe it's 3yr/36,000 miles?), so I have at least 3 years to think about it. Thanks.

Edited: Wait...is ESP same as the extend warranty or just for maintenance services?

paulfrank285,

Jeeden is correct that the ESP is on the warranty, however, you can add certain maintenance options. For information at a glance, and ESP comparisons, check out this link, http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPage. Let me know if you have further questions. You can also PM me, if you prefer.

Seni

Yesterday you told me I didn't get a good deal on my 6 year 100k bumper to bumper for $1500.....and the 5 year 100k posted by you above is more than that. I guess I did forget to mention, I have no deductible. Seems from those prices I did...at least for what fits me because I won't put on 125K in 6 years.

Does this mean 6 yr/100K or 5 yr 100k ON TOP of the other warranty or TOTAL warranty for the car (we already get 3 yr/36000 and a longer power train warranty.

Does this mean 6 yr/100K or 5 yr 100k ON TOP of the other warranty or TOTAL warranty for the car (we already get 3 yr/36000 and a longer power train warranty.

its a total of 6 years, 100,000 miles Bumper to Bumper.

Has anyone ever looked into warranties beyond 7 years/100,000 miles? Can you even get them? I keep my cars for at least eight years, typically, and I hope to keep this one even longer. I put around 10,500 miles a year. So, I would hit the years first.

Has anyone ever looked into warranties beyond 7 years/100,000 miles? Can you even get them? I keep my cars for at least eight years, typically, and I hope to keep this one even longer. I put around 10,500 miles a year. So, I would hit the years first.

Ford does not offer a 8yr warranty, but they do offer a 125,000 mile warranty.. The max you can get is 7yr/125k.

3rd party warranties may off longer but I'd never buy one.. it is so nice dealing with the Ford ESP..

My truck is in now for a power steering fluid leak and because my 4wd plate's backlight doesn't light up anymore. The lfuid leak isn't covered because it's a hose and they don't cover hoses but the 4wd plate is. So it is going to cost me $50 for my deductible and I got a Jeep liberty for a loaner on Friday till Monday because of my first day rental coverage. Put almost 500 miles on it so far (weekend trip) which is how I try to schedule my services..

I can say nothing bad about Ford ESP's..

Ok. I was afraid of that. It's highly doubtful I'd hit 125K miles in seven years, so I'll go with a lower mileage.

Thanks for all the info!

Dealer recommendation

I purchased an extended service plan online for a Jeep from Harold Zeigler Automotive Group in Illinois. Their price was the best for me and the policy has already half paid for itself. They also offer the Ford ESP so if you want to check it out, here is the link. (I did not look at the prices for Fords.)

Can anyone advise on transfer rules of ESP when you purchase a newer vehicle?

If I buy ESP for my 11 X but decide to buy the 13 X will the ESP transfer to the 13 X or stay with the 11 X?

I purchased an extended service plan online for a Jeep from Harold Zeigler Automotive Group in Illinois. Their price was the best for me and the policy has already half paid for itself. They also offer the Ford ESP so if you want to check it out, here is the link. (I did not look at the prices for Fords.)

Thanks, for that link TaosBob. This is the best price I have found so far.

Thank you TaosBob.I have been pricing Ford ESP for the past couple of weeks.Zeigler Ford has the best prices I could find.I purchased 7yr 100,000 mile Ford ESP Premium Care,$50.00 deductible, for $1145.00.This is for 2011 Ex with FWD.My Dealer could not beat the price.
www.zeiglerfordesp.com

ESP question

Thinking of buying ESP. Found there are 4 kinds of ESP. Which one is more like bumper to bumper? Premium or Extra? If I want MFT included, what should I choose? Thanks

Premium Care is the top one

Consider nothing but the Premium Care!

Nothing worse than buying an extended warranty and having a repair not covered.

The other plans only cover parts that are listed and there are many different parts that are not listed on those other plans.

The Premium Care is what I refer to as an exclusionary plan. In other words, the part is covered unless it listed as excluded and the things that are listed as excluded are more maintenance, decorative and wear items like pads/rotors.

The deductible thing comes down to two schools of thought:

If you choose a high deductible than the plan will be cheaper and you would have to go in for service a few times before the savings was lost.

If you choose a higher deductible, say $100, you may not bring your vehicle in for little things that bug you that you might if you had opted for the $0 deductible.

Regardless, you only pay one deductible per repair visit not for each repair they do on that visit.

I got ESP Premium Care 6yr/100k/1st day rental/$100 deductable for $1400 and it includes oil changes for life :D

LTD, 4WD

I got ESP Premium Care 6yr/100k/1st day rental/$100 deductable for $1400 and it includes oil changes for life :D

LTD, 4WD

Who did you purchase it through? Is that their standard price, or was that through your super negotiation skills? :D

Who did you purchase it through? Is that their standard price, or was that through your super negotiation skills? :D

What can I say, when you are good, your good ;) j/k

Koodoos to people and this forum for pointing to some places on the web for good pricing on ESP. I was able to walk into the dealer armed with the web prices :D

Link found on another thread...

Oil changes are something the dealer offers as incentive when you buy the extended warranty at the time of delivery.

Can anyone advise on transfer rules of ESP when you purchase a newer vehicle?

If I buy ESP for my 11 X but decide to buy the 13 X will the ESP transfer to the 13 X or stay with the 11 X?

The rules can change year by year so there is no standard answer.

Most plans are transferable to new owners but they will not transfer to a new vehicle. The new owner usually has to fill out a transfer request and send it in. Sometimes there could be a small administrative fee to do the transfer. In some cases the transfer has to be completed within sixty days of the sale.

The other option is to cancel the warranty and receive a pro-rated refund.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I posted this in another thread but thought it might be helpful here because this thread gets allot of hits.

Consider nothing but the Premium Care! IMHO.

Nothing worse than buying an extended warranty and having a repair not covered.

The other plans only cover parts that are listed and there are many different parts that are not listed on those other plans.

The Premium Care is what I refer to as an exclusionary plan. In other words, the part is covered unless it listed as excluded and the things that are listed as excluded are more maintenance, decorative and wear items like pads/rotors.

The deductible thing comes down to two schools of thought:

If you choose a high deductible than the plan will be cheaper and you would have to go in for service a few times before the savings was lost.

If you choose a higher deductible, say $100, you may not bring your vehicle in for little things that bug you that you might if you had opted for the $0 deductible.

Regardless, you only pay one deductible per repair visit not for each repair they do on that visit.

Back