Doubler Time!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doubler Time!!

Here is my setup.

Misc004.jpg

DSCF1880.jpg

DSCF1879.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Currently still just flat stock.
shifter016.jpg

shifter014.jpg

But thinking about cutting them at floor level and then welding round stock and a knob to them.

Me like alot :salute: What I could do with a 3/4" hole saw and grinding wheel to those slick handles. . . finger notches on the bottom side and then radius the corner ends to a full radius of the width of the bar stock. Could even take a unibit or hole saw and drill some holes down the centerline. Even could do some progressively larger holes as you go down the centerline...Unibit. How about dipping the end where your hand goes into a can of rubber stuff that you coat tool handles in ???
Just my overactive fabricating mind. HA HA

thats awesome firezapper :)

You need some handles from a flat pry bar and your good to go!

I'm partial to copycat's setup myself, but hey whatever works!
I would keep my "touch drive" overhead push button 4x4 for the t case and run a simple shifter like Copykat for the doubler, I dont have a problem with the shift motors for some reason, they are easy to clean and re build IMO and work fine after that

Here are some pics. Inabbed them just as the rain started.
DSC01165.JPG

DSC01167.JPG

DSC01168.JPG

DSC01169.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

DSC01173.JPG

DSC01174.JPG
A few more this time of the doubler shhhh the np203 was out of a cheby

Mine:

702959_38_full.jpg

702959_40_full.jpg

CopyKat's is basically the same setup. :D

There all very creative. Got me thinking of one these Doublers. Just wondering about the driveshaft angle on a allready short B2 frame? This would be for a Daily driver also.

There all very creative. Got me thinking of one these Doublers. Just wondering about the driveshaft angle on a allready short B2 frame? This would be for a Daily driver also.

It's not bad. The rear axle is pushed back 1.5" from stock. With about a 5" lift.

Doublerinst003.jpg

haha thats a short driveshaft:p: thatnks for all the great ideas. I have some of my own so we will see what happens in the next week or so.

It's not bad. The rear axle is pushed back 1.5" from stock. With about a 5" lift.

Doublerinst003.jpg

That's not bad at all. Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking of adding a second one to mine. It will make the shafts almost equal length, and make my crawl ratio close to 190:1 with a stick:thumbsup:

How did you get that linkage to point up, i was in teh understanding that you couldn't rotate thoes little levers.....

I believe if you open up the case you could rotate them to whatever point you want. Or just make new ones to point any way you want.

I believe if you open up the case you could rotate them to whatever point you want. Or just make new ones to point any way you want.

Yes if you open the case you can clock the shaft a bit. The shaft has a 6 tooth spline so your left with only 6 different positions. The doubler leaver I made, cuz I had clocked the pin the same way as the rear case. And I didn't care to pull the case apart to get a parallel lever position so I just made it the way I wanted, besides it needed to be longer so it worked out to my benefit.

Its been a few weeks since I've been able to work on this project, but I got some done today. I got the shifters pretty much figured out I think. Tell me what you thing.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_031.jpg

Ranger_Cab_Swap_032.jpg

Ranger_Cab_Swap_033.jpg

I have to go get some solid dowl steel for the shifter levers and break out the torch to bend them up, but it all seems to be working well.
Because of the amount I have to space out the levers from the side of the trans shifter mount I have to cut a lot of the floor out.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_034.jpg

I have some thoughts on how to clean it up, but you'll just have to wait and see:p:

got the floor cut and the shifters in. also the crossmembers for the tcase and the tranny

this is what supports the rear of the tcase. It bolts in where the stock vibration dampener bolted in and there are poly bushings on each end of the cross member.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_037.jpg

this is what supports the transmission in the stock location. It bolts up on the frame also in the stock locations. I just made it so it would go over the front drive shaft so it will clear.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_035.jpg

you can see the shift linkage but its really hard to get a good picture.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_044.jpg

and the bling. I plan to use the stock shifter cover and block the hole I cut in the floor with some rubber. then the boot to clean it all up.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_045.jpg

We need a :jealous: smiley!

Any reason you used tube on one crossmember and flat stock on the other?

When's the test run? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back