Completed Project - Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
So, as of 5 hours ago Ronin8002, or James' built OHV block became mine; and with the stea.. I mean deal I got and all the extra goodies he threw in, he seemed a little too happy to get rid of this thing :shifty_ey... lol! But WOW this thing is in good shape! As a christmas gift from my parents, I've been given the opportunity to really dig into an engine like I've always wanted to do. I've watched and assisted a couple chevy 350 builds over the past few months but have never done anything by myself.. so here goes nothin!

The Meat (James' Block):
- 1995 block bored .030 over and torque honed
- Keith Black Hypereutectic 1995 Style Pistons (staying around 9:1)
- Total Seal piston rings
- Clevite bearings
- Stock Water pump/timing cover (awesome shape!)
- Stock Fuel Rail
- SOHC Oil pump/pan - to strengthen up the bottom end
-- Possible port/polish on the lower intake, we'll see when I get there

The Goodies:
- Comp Cams 49-422-8 Cam
- Comp Cams 988-12 dual valve springs
- 95tm heads with minor porting/polishing

(on the way, supposedly 11/28/10)
- SI sev2027 and sev2028 valves
- Delta Cam rockers
and pushrods will come later down the road when properly measured

I'm going to keep a diary as things progress on the motor, once I get all the parts in it really should start coming together quickly. I'm down for any type of constructive criticism you have, if you don't like the way I'm doing something PLEASE let me know, as this will be my true first solo go at an engine! JD4242 has really given me a lot of direction when it comes to the 4.0, by reading through his posts in the forums I'm still baffled by the amount of knowledge he has of these things. So, many thanks to you JD!

First order of business, I need help tracking down a full gasket kit, reasonably priced as the budget is dwindling down, I hear an ebay seller has them for around $130??, as well as new head stud/bolts. I'm not feeling ARP's $400 set of head bolts/studs. Does anyone have any suggestions or leads on either?

Thanks for lookin! Here's a couple of teaser pics! Pics of the motor when I get it all unpackaged and on a stand.

-Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,273
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,675

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No sir, no specs on the lifters, but they are in darn near perfect condition, they have NO wear haha. I have a custom pushrod length checker from SmithBros, they just suggest after I get it adjusted to measure the pushrod with a caliper so they can give me the proper length pushrod.

Though, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing when I use it. To the best of my knowledge I need to insert it like I'd install a normal pushrod, then I torque the rocker assemblies to the middle of their suggest torque range. Lengthen the pushrod up until it gets tight, but can still spin freely right? :dunno:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i hate when they deliver it to late to the local facility and make you wait another day. but getting something 2 days after ordering with an expected delivery of 5 days makes up for it lol
i wish i had a bigger garage like you. i have to work outside. i can only tolerate being out there for so long
Ooo no my garage is filled full of bikes,2HD,dirtbike,supermoto,3weeler and a mini bike.only machine work is done in garage and its not heated, all work is done in drive way.i was working in the snow talking out my rear two weeks ago,people thought i was insane and yep they are right!!:rolleyes:

i hate when they deliver it to late to the local facility and make you wait another day. but getting something 2 days after ordering with an expected delivery of 5 days makes up for it lol
i wish i had a bigger garage like you. i have to work outside. i can only tolerate being out there for so long
Ooo no my garage is filled full of bikes,2HD,dirtbike,supermoto,3weeler and a mini bike.only machine work is done in garage and its not heated, all work is done in drive way.i was working in the snow talking out my rear two weeks ago,people thought i was insane and yep they are right!!:rolleyes:.o

Hah, it's my brother's garage, forgot the dimensions of it (darn near the same size as their house :p:), but heck yeah it's nice! Peaceful too, way the heck out in Amelia, if you familiar with the area, no one around to bother you. Big enough for my truck to go in there and for him to be able to build full size cabinetry simultaneously hahah

Not very tall though, I was jacking the truck up a bit to get a front wheel off and ended up smashing one of my cross bars and actually jacking up the floor of the attic with it.. :rolleyes:

if i took everything out of mine i couldnt even open the doors fully and about a foot of the truck hangs out preventing the garage door from closing due to the pegboard thingy room built for the water and hvac :/

and most likely my edit got missed. 4 replies showed up before the edit was done.
edit: speaking of cats, what good does 2.5" exhaust piping do anyway if the outlet on the cat is 2.25"?
and is there some single cat, 2.5" that va will pass inspection on? i need a single cause of a y-pipe dump valve im gonna install before the cat. open headers from the flip of a switch :)

No sir, no specs on the lifters, but they are in darn near perfect condition, they have NO wear haha. I have a custom pushrod length checker from SmithBros, they just suggest after I get it adjusted to measure the pushrod with a caliper so they can give me the proper length pushrod.

Though, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing when I use it. To the best of my knowledge I need to insert it like I'd install a normal pushrod, then I torque the rocker assemblies to the middle of their suggest torque range. Lengthen the pushrod up until it gets tight, but can still spin freely right? :dunno:
yea has to be at tdc and then you add .70 to it half of the lifter spec.search lifter spec or something like that and your see my thread about measuring the lifter plunger spec

Im doing the same thing.the pipe that goes from the first cat to second is not 2.25.cut it there run one cat into a cutout then 2.5 to muffler then dual 2.5 out the rear.

that works. being the 2nd one is missing the heat shield lol (that was the ratting scare i had for awhile)
will va pass it with it like that? i mean i could just go get it done under the table again if i had to.... :shifty_ey

instead of pipe > muffler > y > 2 tailpipes
what about;
pipe > y > 2 glasspacks > single tailpipe from each
?

this is gonna be going in before the cat. open header goodness
gn5002.jpg

I believe Magna-flow is the last remaining company that makes direct bolt on after market cats for the '95-'97 OHV, I think they will fit yours.

On mine, where the y-pipe y's and enters into the cat flange, it's actually like 2.5" or 3" pipe connection, and it's right after the secondary cat, the pipe that comes out of the cat is 2.5" but it very quickly downsizes to maybe a 2" and enters the exhaust flange. I have my 2.5" system literally welded to the back of the 2nd cat. :D But currently that 2nd cat isn't doing a darn thing anyways.. muahaha :p:

OK - Good news and bad news;

My new rocker arms showed up today, I got a quick looksee at them before I had to leave for class. They don't look too much different than the stockers sadly. I'll get some detailed pictures of them up when I get home after class.. if I go home lol

Also, ModernEngine sent me a big ole box today, I suspected it to be my replacement head, however it wasn't just one, it was two additional ones with a note saying (Defective replacements - NO CHARGE) HAHA! Both the 'new' heads the sent me are identical to the original one i bought, none of the valve guides are parallel to each other :mad:. However one set is close enough that my guy will be able to safely make it work.

BOTTOM LINE - DO NOT ORDER FROM EBAY USER 'MODERNENGINE'
Nice people, poor quality material

Anyways, for now here's a teaser of the shipment I got, again I'll get up some HQ pics of the new rocker assemblies when and IF I get home tonight ;):D
Heads should be done tomorrow by noon, I plan to work into the night tomorrow to build up the new motor, then get my pushrod measurements in.

Attachments

• 0124011556.jpg
    0124011556.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 742

What a headache!!

OK,

Part one of a decent update, I'll start by making a comment about the new rockers; It could just be me, but I don't see any difference between the old and new rockers, Tousley Ford ordered them from Ford and had them to me in less than a week, I have to give them props on that! They are exceptional quality, no casting burs or anything of the sorts. The springs are a little more stiff, I guess that will reduce lateral movement of the rocker arms, if there was some going on originally.. Here's some pics, I'll post up the Part # when I go back out to clean up the garage

Attachments

• IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_1331.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 721

Yea those oil holes are huge compared to delta.ill have to post a pic.stonger spring equals more tension witch takes away power.

Started off the nigh with just the block, here's some pics of the new heads. If any body in Central VA needs a machine shop to do some work, Ballos Precision Machine is going to be the place to go! Talk to Stewert and tell him brandon sent you :p:

On to the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 751

"Alabama Head"** is up top
Ford 97TM is on the bottom

** - I was told Alabama Casted this head.. but can't prove it for you.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 720

Lifters going back in where they came from.. came up with a little problem on them, will post it in a few posts..

Also mounted up one side head..

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 710

All buttoned up, pushrods checked, ready to go!

Attachments

• IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 710

aaaaand just because I could :p:

Lower intake and valve covers just laid on top to get a preview!

Attachments

• IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 746

What number you come up with for the pushrods?also the lower intake needs to be torqued at the sameyime as the heads or you be blowing lower intakes gaskets in no time

Back