Scott B.'s V8 Ranger Conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B.'s V8 Ranger Conversion

I purchased my Ranger XLT new in September 1993. I ordered it from Ford – even had to wait an extra 2 weeks for delivery due to the floods in the Midwest. After driving the truck for almost 18 years, (including 9 trips across the country) I have put 320,000 miles on the original 4.0L engine and A4LD transmission. The time has come to replace the drivetrain.

The new drivetrain will be a 5.0 L engine (SN95) with an AOD transmission. I am going to run my stock BW1354 transfer case. I have already swapped in a 31-spine 8.8 rear axle.

The objective of the engine build is reliability and reasonable performance. I am looking for 275 – 300 horsepower, lots of torque, and to start every time I touch the key.

I plan to keep the truck OBDI for simplicity, and use my existing column shifter for operating the transmission.

I will detail the engine build here, and the conversion/installation in my build thread. (Starting on page 10, post 192)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Some things might be a little easier (engine mounts, for example.) I suggest finding a 2007 donor vehicle, and grabbing all the electronics. OBD II is much more involved than OBD I.

(Yes, I've considered this on my 2006, after I finish my '93...)

whoops! maybe i should read more before posting! thought this was for your 06. but i will still watch this!

New (Exchanged) Engine

I swapped that engine for a "new" one. This one is out of a 1994 Mustang, and is factory original. A bit of rust on the outside (I think it came from Florida) but the engine looks to have been maintained.

I pulled it apart (down to the short block) and like what I see inside. Very clean.

Wednesday, it goes into the machine shop - I can't wait! Then, time to find a cam and heads.

Attachments

• Engine1.JPG
    Engine1.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,511
  • Engine2.JPG
    Engine2.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,483
  • Engine3.JPG
    Engine3.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,524

Off it Goes!

Loaded up, going to the machine shop tomorrow!

Attachments

• Engine 4.JPG
    Engine 4.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,805

Took you no time at all to tear it down. Im impressed

Took you no time at all to tear it down. Im impressed

I was surprised how fast it went, too. I guess because I had just torn one down, I was in practice!

Actually, I had help. It is so much easier/quicker to label and bag parts (and chase tools) with a second set of hands.

Corrosion

I cleaned up the valve covers today. They are slightly corroded on the outside - the inside is just fine.

Will they look OK if I powder coat these, or will the imperfection of the corrosion show through?

Attachments

• VC3.JPG
    VC3.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,353
  • VC2.JPG
    VC2.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,330
  • VC1.JPG
    VC1.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,353

Send them to Turdle for a sandblast and powdercoat and they'll look great:D

If I used a silver vein on em it would be fine.

2r70d4x.jpg

not my picture, I just googled it for reference.

I can burn those off and blast them to look pretty good.

I got a box today, BTW

Send them to Turdle for a sandblast and powdercoat and they'll look great:D

I just sent him a box of parts... (the first of several, I'm sure!)

If I used a silver vein on em it would be fine.

2r70d4x.jpg

I can burn those off and blast them to look pretty good.

I got a box today, BTW

I like that.

What color options are there?

I assume you clear coat over the color?

I like that.

What color options are there?

I assume you clear coat over the color?

Yup

There are several tyes of veins, that picture is just kind of tinted to the purple side.

here is a better look

HPIM3711.jpg

Yes the vein gets cleared, It can be darkened with black ckear, or a candy colors can be used as a top coat for a weird effect

florescent%20yellow%20over%20silver%20vein%20(3).jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

Then there are gold veins, copper veins, dual color veins, copper with verdegris veins,

etc.

Pretty Parts

I have the first set of parts back from Jon...

Attachments

• Parts 1.JPG
    Parts 1.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,397

MAN I wish I could have afforded him to do my valve covers!!!

I hope this whole college thing pays off since it killed my motor build funds :rolleyes:

Question About Pulleys

Should I refinish or replace the pulleys? I am referring to the Crankshaft, P/S, water pump and alternator pulleys.

The current finish on them I assume is paint since they all have some chips in the finish (and the corresponding rust.)

I am thinking about powder coating them, but am wondering if it is worth it, or should I just new ones?

As much as I love Jons powder coating, I think I would go new when it comes to the pulleys.

Brackets and non turning parts are perfect for powder, but anything that has to be precise (pulleys), I would feel safer going new for alignment reasons.

Sorry Jon, still love ya Bro :D

I have coated several pulleys with no issues. I cannot hurt them. Aldive ran powderoated pulleys I finished. There ya have it

I love ya too Gregg. :D I said it back:cool:

Well sweet then. :thumbsup:

I was concerned with heat warping em (ever so slightly, and most likely unwarranted), the mil thickness adding to the pulley lips where the belt rides, and the bolt holes getting smaller.
Plus adding weight to them, albeit minute.

But since you have already done them with success, Rock on with your bad selves, :D

Which Radiator?

Both James Duff and Advance Adapters make aluminum radiators for this conversion.

Anyone have experience with either? Both are 2 row, TIG welded, with transmission coolers. The mounting systems are slightly different (which shouldn't matter, as this is a custom installation.)

Thoughts?

Oh, the JD is about $100 cheaper...

EDIT: I am planning on running an electric fan.

...Any links to what you are looking at for radiators and specific type of electric fan?

...There has been some bad reviews on electric fans and controllers lately..:(

Back