1992 XLT 4x4 "LAWG" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 XLT 4x4 "LAWG"

I have been driving this everyday since I was 16.

DSC01524.jpg

Me and my buddies put a spoiler and racing stripes to make fun of local ricers.
front.jpg

n38410784_30940041_2771.jpg

We decided to 'murder it out' at the beginning of the summer. Its the first time its all been one color since a tree fell on it. We also put some extra lights on the hood to help the nearly destroyed headlights. Also put on a 3rd trans cooler to fix my incessant overheating problem.
0520101546b.jpg

0520101548a.jpg

Found some awesome cheapo chrome letters at Autozone.
0520101552a.jpg

Thank goodness there is no inspection where I am in TN. This thing has served me faithfully for 8 years and my parents since new up to then. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze another 18 years out of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last fall my transmission started slipping. So I did the logical thing and spray painted my car a different color to fix the transmission.

IMG_0135.jpg

For some reason that didn't work and it eventually blew up. I swapped in an M5OD and found out several things.

1. I had to buy a crap ton of tools.
2. My exhaust manifolds and bolts are now one piece.
3. Auto trans bolts don't work on and M5OD.
4. My X has 3.27 gears and they suck a load with that 5 speed.

I made it through the first 3 problems but that gear ratio has got to be killing my clutch. To fix the problem I am getting a lift and bigger tires, new hub, and fixing my transfer case shifting problem.

I have ordered front leveling springs, rugged ridge manual hub conversion, warrior 153's, 15x8 mountain crushers, and a new shift motor. Junk yard gears will follow soon.

My plan is to try and run 33x12.50s with just the new coils and shackles. I haven't been able to find anyone on here that has done it but by gum I'm gonna try it. I will keep pictures coming as I make progress on this adventure.

Haha! I know right? I do plan on having to cut the bejebeers out of them.

nice x

Finally got all my parts last week.

IMG_0188.jpg

Had bad weather all week and had to wait till Saturday before I could get to work.

One of my shackle bolts was a major PITA.

IMG_0191.jpg

Spring comparison
IMG_0193.jpg

Final product
IMG_0197.jpg

There is a bit more rake to it than I thought there would be. Ended up gaining almost 3in up front and forgot to measure the rear but it was enough to be noticed. I still need to get an alignment. Have to get longer shocks too. I could not hook up the stock ones until it was back on the ground and even then it was just barely.

Back