Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90

I figured I better start a new thread, as my old thread goes on forever detailing my 4.0 ohv M90 install, motor rebuild (Funny thing about that), etc. Here's the original thread that brought me to this point: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345617

The issue I am currently having with my M90 install is that I am attempting to increase boost, but cant get the intake charge cool enough. I tried water/meth and had limited results. James with Henson performance just cant do anything more with the tuning till iat's come down.

So, Ron at RPCaster (Building an intercooler for me), and Tim (Vroomzoomboom) who is going to perform some magic on a hood cowl (It was either that, or a body lift to get the additional height for the intercooler). These are the two components I am not able to do myself.

I have detailed logs of my iat's, and am going to do a dyno session before and after install. This will give some great real world numbers.

I'll detail the whole thing as I go (The good, the bad, and the ugly).

For starters. Here is what Just came in the mail.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,143

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, its tough to know what to do with the hood till we have a hole staring at us. Hopefully it wont be too big, or too high. But, its going to be what its going to be.

I'm betting were probably a month away on this.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hood scoop

I am jealous of your hood scoop plans. I have an ugly ebay dodge look alike scoop on mine. It is hidious. Tried 4 different scoops and no other ones work so far. i even thought of putting a 3 inch body lift and 3 inch suspension drop on just to be able to put the stock hood on. Shame they dont make a 3 in suspension drop. Also would make it handle worse, if that is possible.lol.

I am jealous of your hood scoop plans. I have an ugly ebay dodge look alike scoop on mine. It is hidious. Tried 4 different scoops and no other ones work so far. i even thought of putting a 3 inch body lift and 3 inch suspension drop on just to be able to put the stock hood on. Shame they dont make a 3 in suspension drop. Also would make it handle worse, if that is possible.lol.

4pointslow,
They do make a semi-3" inch drop. I have eibach tapered 3" drop blocks. Billsteins in the rear, doestech's in the front. Also have a set of AIM industries re-indexed torsion keys. My truck is definitely not as low as I want it but along with the EE sway bars it handles alot better than you would think. There is also the 17x9's that help keep what I call the "roll over edition" explorer planted.

Don, I kept EGR. I have an EGR block off plate but hear more benefits than negative comments when it comes to detonation and it being quite beneficial. The issue I had with my setup was with the damn oil dipstick, it had to be "reshaped" a little. I ended up using the JBA gaskets if your curious, I am a bit surprised when I lay into it now how much it just wants to pony up and ride out. Not sure if you and JD have the 60mph cruise issue, but damn is it hard to keep this thing doing the speed limit. In other news looks like I'll be investing in a set of cobra brakes for the truck. My ebc's are better than stock, but I just can't slow down quick enough sometimes.

Ive heard nothing but great things about the EE sway bar. I have to wonder how well the Energy suspensions front and rear bushing kits would work. I found just going with 17" rims and 255/60R17's really helped with body roll.
Unfortunately, I'm really finding that the rubber I have is more skew'd to summer and are brutal in a snow storm.

JD, do you have room at your house for another? I can sleep outside. Ive really had enough of this cold/snow, and am seriously contemplating running away from home to go south.

Ive heard nothing but great things about the EE sway bar. I have to wonder how well the Energy suspensions front and rear bushing kits would work. I found just going with 17" rims and 255/60R17's really helped with body roll.
Unfortunately, I'm really finding that the rubber I have is more skew'd to summer and are brutal in a snow storm.

JD, do you have room at your house for another? I can sleep outside. Ive really had enough of this cold/snow, and am seriously contemplating running away from home to go south.

After it being in the 90*s all last week I was contemplating running away up north!!!

The stock rear sway bar is a joke when you compare the 2. Bushing wise, as long as its polyurethane you'll be fine. I just did new sway bar links not too long ago and need to redo the bushings (the end links were sitting in my garage for like 2 or 3yrs). Still truck rides on rails, its scary how comfortable I feel taking a turn at 60 and not letting off one bit.

EE:
attachment.php

Stock:
IMG_0274.jpg

^^^ Good lookin rear end;)

I think Edelbrock shocks, EE sway bar, poly bushings, and grade "1" t-bars would be a sweet combo

The stock rear sway bar is a joke when you compare the 2. Bushing wise, as long as its polyurethane you'll be fine. I just did new sway bar links not too long ago and need to redo the bushings (the end links were sitting in my garage for like 2 or 3yrs). Still truck rides on rails, its scary how comfortable I feel taking a turn at 60 and not letting off one bit.

EE:
attachment.php

Stock:
IMG_0274.jpg

That's a first gen sway bar.idk why it was on your truck but a second gen is MUCH larger, just about the same as the EE bar.also they don't make that bar anymore.

Second gen sway bar pic
15_zpsc267f06f.jpg

Sorry don for getting off subject

No problem, we're in to keeping our mighty machines (and us) safe. I just did the poly end links on the rear, but didn't see sway bar to frame bushing on rock auto. I've heard sloppy shocks are the best for weight transfer for launching, but just not practical on orders daily drivers.

Hey, I like how your project is going. I'm really slow at getting things done myself, but I'm fidgeting at the ideas I've been seeing and thinking of lately.

I really thought hard about mounting my Kenne Bell blower like the Eaton, with an IC underneath it. I began a thread about it on the SBFtech site I like so much. But over there the get snobby about some dreary SUV questions. I spent most of my posts explaining how tight our engine bays are, and how bad the exhaust is.

Anyway, I expect that your IC will solve your problems. You do have a small exhaust though, still. For a blown 4.0 engine, it should have a size nearing what a say 7.0 engine would need(assuming about 12psi(about 3/4 of 15psi)). Any engine pumping that much air should have an exhaust area comparable to dual 2.5" or dual 3" pipes. If you only have a single 2.5" exhaust now, that is creating a lot of back pressure as it is. Keep the two banks separate, and feed two cats, and two mufflers. That will likely be no louder than now(I'd yank the resonator too), and it'll need more fuel(it'll be lean without new tuning).

Keep at it, I love it.

Oh, I meant to post this one picture. I flip flopped on ideas, and decided to give in and plan to mount my blower to the side. It won't look as cool, I'd love it to be centered, but it will allow me to use a thicker IC, and stay well under the hood.

This is an old picture from the Corral, someone there took a common 302 kit for their Mustang and remounted the blower without the KB plenum for the GT40 intake. That required custom plenums for the IC/KB/TB etc, plus unique mounting brackets of siome kind. I hope I can do something equal for my SUV.

I'm interested in how your IC water system installs. Thanks for the example. Regards,

I was looking at some pics of side mounted sc's today also. I think its a great idea. No need to fight with extending the snout, or anything like that either. Not to mention, a ton of room for a huge intercooler.

It pains my wallet to hear you say my exhaust might still be too small. I'll get my intercooler in, and take it from there.

Take your time, you have been at it a while, and you know how it goes. Plan, budget, save, find something different, change plans... etc.

I've had this KB blower since about 2005, I never really could see a good way to use it feasibly. Now it looks like heavy fabrication is required. Oh well, plan, budget, save...etc.

^CDW, if that ain't the truth I am not sure what is, looking forward to seeing how that KB turns out.

Don, given your project I have begun test mounting an Mr2 intercooler in my engine bay/front end to see how feasible it would be to reach out to Ron. If your looking for a small side mount they work well, or if you can fit a WRX intercooler somewhere that is also a decent option. I am currently saving up to put some cobra brakes on the front, so it will be awhile. In terms of soggy shocks, if you give yourself a bit of a rake in the front (via torsion bars) I find the truck launches quite well.

Don,
I have spent the last two days catching up on your old (yes I read ALL 80 pages) and current threads. I had read JD's a long time ago, had questions on his, and he mentioned you used a tbird charger, so I finally took the time to read yours.

Even though there is a ton for me to learn I have a better understanding on intake temps (this seemed to be the single biggest issue), and all the other crap you have dealt with.

My explorer is down and will be for a long while until I get some savings going, also it won't be my daily driver (I acquired a free car for that), so now I would consider the route you went (full rebuild/m90), biggest difference is I, like JD, have a gen 1 X so tuning will be interesting.

Phix, I have my intercooler. I'll just have to make it work. Its just a matter of getting to it and pulling the front off and making a bracket. I'm sure it will fit.

I'm sure Ron will be happy to help you out. Do you know the bolt patern of your M90 for mounting? Im not sure if its the same as the supercoupe M90. Great to hear your thinking of this.

Im sure JD avoided detonation issues by going intercooled from the beginning. There is something to be said for doing it right the first time.

Me Cribb, JD had no issues with tuning. I'm sure if you follow the same path as him on tuning you will be fine. Welcome to the club!

I need to book that appointment at the dyno to see how much power Im making 'before' the inter-cooler goes on. I think it will be not so great at wot. There's just too much timing pulled out because of the heat.

Lets just hope the hole in my hood doesn't have to be too large.

I don't know if anyone will be doing any air/air IC's, but I have one or maybe even two old Supercoupe IC's. I bought some parts long ago, and among them were injectors and the boost gauge. I got rid of the injectors ages ago, but I have the rest in my shed.

The air/water IC systems are easier to work in because there are no large air pipes, and the front heat exchanger is also smaller than an air/air IC.

Don, I look forward to how you fit your heat exchanger to your truck, even though the 91-94's are a little different. I'm planning to add a thick turbo diesel trans cooler up front to mine, so the space is critical. Hopefully the heat exchanger can be mounted relatively low for the 95-01 trucks. You might consider doing that and using a 93/94 Limited bumper. I think those may have a little better airflow under them, maybe not.

Don, my lower intake to blower config. is a bit different from what yours looks like. Below is an image:
explorersupercharger009dt9.jpg

Something that still rubs me the wrong way about both yours and JD setup. Is the MAF to Injector matching. I was told (and still partially believe, heh) that the 36 pound injectors are contributing to your detonation issue. JD, is cooling that air before it hits the pistons so I could see it not being an issue for him. I still think you need some greentop 42lb'ers. Though we shall see how this works out. I'll pull some IAT's today when I go home with the new headers and see where I am at.

CDW, I run a 8x11 cooler (and I am thinking of adding a 8 or 10" fan) and full synthetic mobile1. I used to see 140 to 160 trans temps with some "spirited" driving.

Hey, I like how your project is going. I'm really slow at getting things done myself, but I'm fidgeting at the ideas I've been seeing and thinking of lately.

I really thought hard about mounting my Kenne Bell blower like the Eaton, with an IC underneath it. I began a thread about it on the SBFtech site I like so much. But over there the get snobby about some dreary SUV questions. I spent most of my posts explaining how tight our engine bays are, and how bad the exhaust is.

Anyway, I expect that your IC will solve your problems. You do have a small exhaust though, still. For a blown 4.0 engine, it should have a size nearing what a say 7.0 engine would need(assuming about 12psi(about 3/4 of 15psi)). Any engine pumping that much air should have an exhaust area comparable to dual 2.5" or dual 3" pipes. If you only have a single 2.5" exhaust now, that is creating a lot of back pressure as it is. Keep the two banks separate, and feed two cats, and two mufflers. That will likely be no louder than now(I'd yank the resonator too), and it'll need more fuel(it'll be lean without new tuning).

Keep at it, I love it.

I think the valves of the ohv are the biggest restriction. I think you could run open headers and the valves are going to still restrict you like you are running 2" pipes.I think his exhaust is probably fine as it flows pretty good and he has SI stock size valves.plus don't think he plans to run over 10 Lbs..I think.:shifty_ey

Now with that said Manley does make valves for the ohv that are .100 over sized (I-1.800 E- 1.450) compared to stock (I-1.707 E-1.356) they are what ill be running, price will put a hurting on you tho.$456 for the valves and $250 to make them fit and flow right:crazy: but your talking about BIG gains

Don, my lower intake to blower config. is a bit different from what yours looks like. Below is an image:
explorersupercharger009dt9.jpg

Something that still rubs me the wrong way about both yours and JD setup. Is the MAF to Injector matching. I was told (and still partially believe, heh) that the 36 pound injectors are contributing to your detonation issue. JD, is cooling that air before it hits the pistons so I could see it not being an issue for him. I still think you need some greentop 42lb'ers. Though we shall see how this works out. I'll pull some IAT's today when I go home with the new headers and see where I am at.

CDW, I run a 8x11 cooler (and I am thinking of adding a 8 or 10" fan) and full synthetic mobile1. I used to see 140 to 160 trans temps with some "spirited" driving.

The size of an injector has nothing to do with cooling or detention unless you are past its duty cycle but you would see you are running lean.I'm sure I'm not maxing out my injectors.we arnt big v8s pushn 20lbs and 500hp, we are 245ish v6 push 200ish hp nor do we run high rpms.

As for detention issues we can't compare our chargers.we have three different kinds.boost is a measurement of restriction. So all three of us may be running 10 pounds but totally different amounts of cfms are entering the cylinders.

Back