Robb's SAS | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Robb's SAS

Hey Guys!
OK, I was trying to put off starting a thread like this until stuff got closer to done, but I have been asked so many questions in the middle of other threads, I thought I should.

This is the plan:
-SOA
-HP YJ D30 SFA
-35"s

As a lot of you guys know, I had the oppurtunity to have the work done by an expert at one heck of a good price.:D The SOA and SFA are being done by Cory at CRL Customs So, as far as the really technical stuff, I will have no idea since I am not the person actually doing the work.

OK, the first obvious question. "Why a D30?" I know most people instantly think of a D44 when they think of a SAS for an Explorer. The idea of a D30 hit me when I was planning on doing the project myself (which would have never become reality). I liked how the YJ D30 was about the same width, bolt pattern was the same, I thought leafs would be pretty easy (Wrong!), and $$$. So I started looking into the pros and cons of the D30, and after a lot of research, I felt it met my requirements for what I was looking for out of an axle. And to be honest, I think stock D44s (especially LPs) are a bit overated (yep, I said it). They aren't the strongest things on Earth like a lot of people seem to think.

OK, enough yapping for a starter post. Let me throw a few pics of the progress.

Robb

Start with a stock pic:

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,657

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

congrats man! i cant wait to see pics of you teariing it up (terrain that is.)

you da man!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Pics!! I wish there was a coil SAS on an X to look at!

But I'll drool over any pics anybody tosses my way! :confused:

Pictures

final.jpg

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg

Is there any way we can go through and either cut out all the comments, or re-write a full writeup on peoples individual trucks? This thread is many pages long, and could be concentrated quite a bit - easier reading. The information is absolutely invaluable, and the talent amazing... but for someone with a short attention span like myself... well, I may never join your ranks.... Maybe I need some focusin.

Shag,
I believe individual write-ups will be in the "Solid Axle Registry" Forum. This thread is just for bouncing ideas and showing pics. IMO, IT IS ONE HELLUVA THREAD!!

Chris, JAW DROPPIN!!!

I am becoming like a kid on Xmas eve at this point!!!

Robb

Lowe's Knows!
rockin.gif

OMG. Man, you guys suck! Wish mine was done already!

cdsl227--check out my thread under this forum, Cory is working on my Coil suspension right now.

Robb, any idea when you are going to pick yours up? I'm going to stop by and see Cory on friday and help out if i can.

Lizard, What are you being sponsored for and who is sponsering you?
And did they give you those tires or did you get a huge discount?

Ryan

lizard, how did you come up with 16 inches?
soa=5.5 + 3" blocks + 3inch body lift =11

do you have add a leafs in the rear or do you have different springs in the rear?

Im being sponcered by Maxxis tires for the PA Rally that is this weekend, they gave me all 5 tires for free.

I got 16 by measureing stock and then mine..... it actually ended up to be more in the end.

is that with the tires? or 16" lift?

I'm beggin again...Robb was your X AWD? Did you have to cut for the shift for the transfer case?

I'm not too familiar with all the ins-and-outs of the transfer case.

If anybody has a pic or two of the shift layout inside the cab...I'd appreciate seeing them.

I have an AWD no shift inside and the console that runs from the Dash to the console (compartment) between the seats.

I'm gathering ideas for cutting and mapping as much out beforehand.

Thanks Guys!

my bad, yeah its Ray's

Ray truck rocks

Ryan

Thanks Guys, that actually looks sweet.

I was a little worried I'd end up with something that'd look like a hack job, but that looks like it belongs.

That's in an automatic? I'm assuming transfer case would have to be shifted at a standstill...not on the fly while moving?

Excuse my stupidity, I'm trying to get a handle on this before commiting and purchasing parts...

There's no clutch involved here right? I have a friend that had a 4x4 pickup, but his tranny was manual, so I'm not too sure on operation...I'm just trying to educate myself on how the transfer case operates...

Once again, Thanks a Million! :)

On the stock manual tcase you can shift to HI on the fly. For low you have to stop and shift. I think the atlas II you have to be moving to get it into low. Am i right Jefe?

With the Atlas you can do all shifting, with the exception of Hi to Lo on the fly. You just have to put the tranny in Neutral to go from Hi to Lo and Lo to Hi. All changes have to be done while moving.

Thanks for clarifing that for me.

Robb--did you get to pick up your explorer this weekend? What are your next plans to get her finished up?

Back