'01 ST with Rear View Camera/DVD/TV/ and more to come! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 ST with Rear View Camera/DVD/TV/ and more to come!

Ok, I finally got a bunch of stuff installed in my Explorer ST. I don't have the Before pics, but I am sure that most of you out there with late model explorers can imagine!

I placed a rear view camera in the third brake light of the truck. The video is fed to a 6.8" LCD monitor in place of the rear view mirror. I also have the ability to display TV (Ch 3-69), DVD, and will soon have my night vision system working!!! A lot of crap to fit into the dash!

Third Brake light Cmaera:
Dead Link Removed

Close Up:
Dead Link Removed

Rear View Display:
Dead Link Removed

Double DIN dash kit:
Dead Link Removed

DVD Player:
Dead Link Removed

Interior Shot:
Dead Link Removed

DVD Pic (Buz Lightyear!):
Dead Link Removed

Playing in the sand!
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Give me some feedback! What do you think? 3rd brake light camera Give me some feedback! What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

That is a little more like it!!! Sorry about all the links!

Rear View Camera:

Dead Link Removed

Rear View Display:

Dead Link Removed

Looks good! That's a crazy setup.

well, you want feedback?...i think its DAMN COOL :D looks like you did a helluva job with the install, everything looks nice and clean.

couple questions:

1) what happens when you get water on the rear camera lens or it fogs up?

2) arent you worried about the monitor getting stolen? does it flip up or anything, or do you have some sort of security for it?

3) can you move the camera lens to see all around at different angles? (im assuming that you cant at this point, but i figured id ask anyway.)

keep up the kickass custom work :)

That is the coolest AV install that I have seen. Everyone has a stereo, but how many people have rear facing video cam in their personal vehicles. Can you move the camera's pov so that you can sweep from side to side?

What kind of money are we talking to install something like that? And like tbomb said, what kind of security do you have for the monitor? I know that something like that would not last to long in my neck of the woods.

Dave

As far as security goes - First, I always park my truck in the garage (she barely fits now!) Second, the monitor can be removed by unclipping the connector in the back and then sliding the mirror mount off of the glass. 15s tops! Also, I would have to say that since it is black, it does not draw too much attention. Not many people notice it until it is on!

The camera does not have any pan or tilt features from where it is mounted. I machined up a little mount, but to adjust it, you have to pull the lens off and get some allens...

The camera has never fogged up as of yet. And as a matter of fact, I haven't had it in the rain since I installed it. I do know that the lens is waterproof though. I have thought about placing a small compressed air nozzle to "wipe" it off it gets dirty. But then again, I need compressed air.

It's not too expensive to do this kind of stuff if you are so inclined. I did the machine work for free and just had to buy a special camera. Got a good deal on an LCD too. I figure for a few hundered dollars, you could have something nice setup too!

if you dont mind my asking, what did you pay for the monitor and the dvd player? (if you dont want to get too specific, could you at least ballpark it?)

thanks.

HELLA SWEET! I love it man! :bounce:

Definitely a nice install. A friend of mine has a rearview camera set up similar to that in his Civic, he has the camera mounted in the "H" emblem on the rear of the trunk, but he's just got the LCD display below his head unit. Nice lookin' Sport Trac, too :)

Bigmellon, very nice work. Everything looks clean. Where are you going to put your night vision? Thought about putting a Playstation or something? I see that you have that big open middle console, look like you can more a mini-bar in that thing.:chug:

The Nightvision will be mounted in the front grill of the truck. If you look closely at the dash picture you can make out auxillary inputs for a Playstation!! All I need is an inverter to pug it in with!

Man everything looks sweet! I really like the whole setup with the camera, dvd, lcd screen and the truck it-self.

P.S. What's with the chevy shirt???:D

Hey if you don't mind me asking whats the price tag on the set up? I've been looking to do a dvd set up almost the same so I got a price of about 390 for a dvd player and 180 for a 5" lcd with no case just the screen. Does that sound like alot? Do you have any suggestions or reccomendations on what to do or what not to do. Like yourself I do everthing myself so all it would cost me is for the components. Mostly I plan on using the set up for ps2. Robbie

RobbieJ - You would be getting ripped if you bought either the DVD player or the raw screen for those prices. I bought my DVD player for $200. Look on ebay and ubid.com for these kind of things. They are a fairly good market place.

I could sell you the raw 6" LCD for the $100 I bought it for. I have a ton of them!!!! That is what I had in my last truck, but it takes a lot to get those working and looking nice. I had to machine a billet aluminum case to house the screen and design a power supply and video switcher to go into the LCD panel. Not a bad deal if you are a tinkerer.... but if not, this may seem like a big undertaking. There is the coolness factor of saying "I built it" though and it allows you to be creative with where you mount the screem.

I would buy one that had everything complete and included the case and power supply. LCD prices are coming down substantially and the technology is improving fast. I have seen some LCD monitors complete on ebay sell for just over $100. GOOD deal. Ubid has a few too....

BigDave - this isn't bad if you do your work yourself and shop around for parts. Like it shows above, you really need to do a lot of searching to find just what you want. Of course, if money is no object there are a few AV systems sold "off the shelf" that are pretty cool. Panasonic makes an in-dash DVD player and screen that decodes Dolby 5.1 and Pro Logic just like a home theatre system. REALLY COOL!!! and really expensive. You would be talking around $2,000 just for the two pieces. Then you have to figure out how to mount a center channel in your truck! And to boot, you need to amplify all six channels of audio out!!!

Bigmellon,

Thats an awesome setup you have going there. I did something similar a few months ago and finally took some pictures which again is behind on where I actually am.

My LCD Touchscreen is located below the temp guage instead. I found this easier to look at and touch while driving. I mounted the DVD drive and headunit all in the stock position. Didn't do a camera, but now it's giving me ideas ;)

here's a shot of the interior of the car:

Dead Link Removed

guys, i just realized it's kinda messy, the wires are actually tucked away, and the GPS antenna is spray'ed black and relocated so it's wire doesn't run right down the middle, that was just for testing.

Hey Guys what's a good resolution for a 6.8" LCD monitor. I've narrowed it down to either the 6.8" if I can find one with good resolution or a 7"widescreen. What is the resolution of yours Bigmellon? Also is your dvd integreted with you stereo if so how did you do it? Did you just use an fm modulator? How can I get the best sound? Thanks Robbie

Awesome setup man!

I was considering night vision also. How much do you think it would cost me?

I am not sure of the resolution that I have on my screen. I think they start rating them in lines o resolution... That kind of throws me off!!! I would assume it is AT LEAST 640x480, but then again, I am just guessing!!!

I really likr the 7" widescreens. They are COOL ;)

Nightvision is not all that bad. Buy a B&W camera that is made for seeing in the dark (they normally have small LEDs in the front of them). These cameras are normally rated at or around 0 lux. If you need more illumination for them, look into building/buy IR illuminators!!!!

Of course, if you want to spend some real cash... Check out Raytheon and their thermal imaging systems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More stuff is on its way!!

I just picked up vehicle navigation (a used Alpine unit) this morning and have a new IR sensitive camera headed this way too.

I am going to see about hiding a warn M-800 beween the frame rails up front this coming weekend too!! Tons of toys to play with!!!

Back